Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best low budget horror fiilm

Options
  • 08-10-2010 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

i was recently watching dogs soldiers and was amazed how good it was even though it was very low budget and it got me thinking what other good low budget horror films are out there such as 28 days later so whats your fave low budget horror movie?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Halloween

Cost $320,000, made over $60,000,000. The best of the low budget horror films although the beauty part is that given how Carpenter shot it, to look at it it looks like it cost millions.

So the best low budget that's clearly low budget to look at?

The Evil Dead

Didn't cost much more than Halloween but unlike Carpenter, Raimi puts the budget right out there on his sleeve. One of the greatest examples of low budget filmmaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Cynortas

i m must say evil dead does have a charm about it and its quite scary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Hmm. I gonna go out on a limb and say The Blair Witch. I mean it is/was scary! I remember being completely freaked out by the ongoing spookyness they were experiencing. So.....well.....it's psychological horror.....what was the question again? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

If you want to get in to The Evil Dead more I suggest you pick up If Chins Could Kill by Bruce Campbell, give great insight into how the film and its sequels were made and just how LOW, and I mean low, budget it really was. Also the commentaries on the DVDs for all films are highly entertaining

nice one lads i must say when i first seen blair witch it did scare me expecailly the ending and it does show how u can make a good move with basically no money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

What about "Dead Meat"

CiniO wrote: »
    What about "Dead Meat"

never seen or heard of it cino is it good?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

tnynll wrote: »
    never seen or heard of it cino is it good?

Here's the trailer:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wgvLai1I6E

I'm not a fan of Horrors. I came to that forum accidently. Horrors always made me more laugh then scary.

But anyway - that's an Irish horror, made almost by amateurs.
    As I like Irish movies, I was happy with that one.
    Very good as for amateur film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Night Of The Living Dead.
    [REC]
    Them (Ils)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

For me its stuff like the August Underground Trilogy,The Gateway Meat,Fetus,Bone Sickness.All ultra low budget.However,im the grand scheme of things its impossible to overlook Halloween as the ultimate low budget horror.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭ikeano29

well, for all the people who mentioned the blair witch project you surely have to give cannibal holocaust a mention. its practically where blair witch go every idea from.

trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQYqgKTJmBQ&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Yes im in the evil dead camp as well...... Its amazing what you can do with a camera taped to a plank of wood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Switchblade romance (High Tension) was very graphic (not for the light hearted) but I really liked it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6VN4D7Yq6g

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 sundaybrunch

Paranormal Activity was absolutely terrifying and done by a bunch of student film-makers. They must have made a fair mint when they sold in to Universal, good on them...looking forward to the sequel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BeanFlicker

have to mention "the stuff", great for a laugh *i mean scary*

according to wiki shot on a budget of approx $1,700,000

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090094/

Also worth a mention is peter jaskcons low buget flick brain dead I think it was called, I never laughed so much. Havent seen it in a while but would love to watch it again.

Defo,in the same breath Jacksons Bad Taste also needs to be mentioned.

"what are you dirty whooers doin on my planet"

Pure gold.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

28 Days later?

nedtheshed wrote: »

Pure gold.

My memory is a little fuzzy on all these down under horrors, is this the one where the woman has the 4 way shot gun contraption, and the granny gets killed by a rock from space, or am I thinking of another mad auzzie movie?

Trailer makes it look kinda crappy but it is goretastic!

• Advertisement

My memory is a little fuzzy on all these down under horrors, is this the one where the woman has the 4 way shot gun contraption, and the granny gets killed by a rock from space, or am I thinking of another mad auzzie movie?

That's Undead from the Spielig brothers who delivered this years Daybreakers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Cannibal Holocaust for me. Black Devil Doll from Hell is soo low budget and hilariously bad.....it's deadly :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Yep - I third Cannibal Holocaust for how much sick gore you can extract from a shoestring budget.

Halloween is a horror for the masses - a good horror flim and indeed a modern classic - but nonetheless sanitised.

Cannibal Holocaust is a horror only for those with an iron stomach and a strong emotional balance. It's simply shocking.

Linky:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm7xNi6oYxQ&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭omen80

Blair Witch - I was terrified watching that. A lot of people dont get it though, its purely up to your imagination how scarey it is. That bit where they hear the baby crying is a brilliant example of psychological horror!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

tnynll wrote: »
    i was recently watching dogs soldiers and was amazed how good it was even though it was very low budget and it got me thinking what other good low budget horror films are out there such as 28 days later so whats your fave low budget horror movie?

I looked at this post to say Dog Soldiers, Sorry I cant be of any help its just You picked my go to movie :p

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭LPHeadstrong

I don't know the actual budget other than it is low, Castle Freak! Watched it when I was 8 or 9 and left the room till it was finished! Watched it again last year (not as bad) but still freaked me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭mbv

I always think of the old cheap shockers like Texas Chainsaw massacre, Last house on the left, Last house on dead end street, Cannibal holocaust, Nekromantik. Movies made for feck all but still pack a punch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

mbv wrote: »
    I always think of the old cheap shockers like Texas Chainsaw massacre, Last house on the left, Last house on dead end street, Cannibal holocaust, Nekromantik. Movies made for feck all but still pack a punch.

TBH I found Nekromantik to be more of a black comedy than horror.
    The bit where she puts the condom onto the rod thingy had me in stitches

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT

Nothing much happens, nothing is really seen
    but it's all very, very effective and made a
    mint for it's makers.

:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Also worth a mention is peter jaskcons low buget flick brain dead I think it was called, I never laughed so much. Havent seen it in a while but would love to watch it again.

Pure gold.
    Also he did Braindead which is of similar qualiteeeeeeee!

Advertisement