Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone into Paramotoring?

Options
  • 08-10-2010 4:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking to get into it. I've a bit of paragliding experience but paragliding is mostly useless in Ireland due to having to drive for hours to get to a good spot. Paramotoring is much easier as you don't need hills and only have to be outside congested airspace. So has anyone tried it here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭alphaLaura

*bump*

Just did a beginner paragliding day in Cork and loved it but I'm also curious about paramotoring. I imagine that it would make getting off the ground far easier and less wind-dependent! If anyone has info about this, I'd love to hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Havelock12

Hey guys, yeah paramotoring is on the rise in Ireland. I've been meeting up with a few types that do it near Dublin and have been having a lot of fun with the ground work. If you've got the serious cash to get into it it looks like a great way to get up in the skies without needing the paragliding hills. PM me if you'd like more info or to put you in touch with people.

Hi Havelock, I know this may be a "how long is a piece of string" question but I am curious about canopy and motor prices? I'd love to start paramotoring but it's only as a filler to my main hobby which is flying light aircraft (an expensive pursuit in itself). So I'm trying to prioritize expenditure for my flying rather than paramotoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Havelock12

Hi alphaLaura, it's totally a string question, but ball park figures are probably a thousand on the wing and a few thousand on the engine. People sell wing+engine kits but I have been steered away from those deals. It's really not a cheap thing to do, and people seem to either get full into it or don't just for that reason. Having said that, the guys I went out with were willing to let me use their kit, so perhaps you could give it a go a few times before seeing whether you wanted to make it your main thing or stumbled across a few thousand!

Thanks for the info - that helps alot. I'd say it's an 'all or nothing' activity, and I don't think I'd do it justice by having it as a back-up pursuit...

• Advertisement
Advertisement