Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

33% of Irish men aged 34 live at home

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I don't expect to see an answer any time soon tbh.

I'm not expecting an answer to my last post either. Oh well... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

I don't expect to see an answer any time soon tbh.
    Ill answer you. If your brother moved in and started paying under the odds compared to rent everywhere else, then youd BOTH be being subsidised by the circumstances of the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

CiaranC wrote: »
    Ill answer you. If your brother moved in and started paying under the odds compared to rent everywhere else, then youd BOTH be being subsidised by the circumstances of the house.

And more power to them too if that was the case, you seem to think that if someone can strike a bargain or get/find a good deal they are inferior somehow, I'd think the opposite
    If that happened and the mother was charging market rates you'd get a sort on saying she's ripping them off

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

So, to all the people who are paying rent in a house share, who are subsidised by the very fact that they are sharing, I assume you believe these people are all failures also?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 TheOwl

Merch wrote: »
    And more power to them too if that was the case, you seem to think that if someone can strike a bargain or get/find a good deal they are inferior somehow, I'd think the opposite

But the bargain is being striked because of the relationship between the poster and his mother. Were it not for her there would be no 'bargain' therefore the poster is not self sufficient.

• Advertisement

So, to all the people who are paying rent in a house share, who are subsidised by the very fact that they are sharing, I assume you believe these people are all failures also?

I never said anyone is a failure!

I simply said you arent self sufficient because you are getting subsidised accommodation and couldnt do without it!

TheOwl wrote: »
    But the bargain is being striked because of the relationship between the poster and his mother. Were it not for her there would be no 'bargain' therefore the poster is not self sufficient.

The first bit highlighted is correct,
    The part italicised may or may not be the case, people are striking bargains all over the place with rents,

In red, It doesnt mean that poster is not self sufficient at all, they pay their share

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Outside of whatever beneficial situation your in because of your mother you wouldn't be able to afford to live. how is that being self sufficient?

I never said anyone is a failure!

I simply said you arent self sufficient because you are getting subsidised accommodation and couldnt do without it!

Okay, well then the people house sharing are not self sufficient then?

Okay, well then the people house sharing are not self sufficient then?

at market rates they are ;)

• Advertisement

everyone that rents jointly, wether in groups of friends, work colleagues or whatever must be a dismal failure
    Even people that are married are failures as they also share the costs and benefits of living together
    By some peoples rationale then that would mean that not being able to stump up the money to buy a house outright is a failure
    So what do you have to do not to be one?

In red, It doesnt mean that poster is not self sufficient at all, they pay their share

The poster's mother has obviously paid a lot more towards the house over the years than the poster.

Outside of whatever beneficial situation your in because of your mother you wouldn't be able to afford to live. how is that being self sufficient?
    This is why your argument is so ridiculous. Because of the price I pay you say I'm not self sufficient. But if I were to find other accommodation at the same price (which is not an impossibility, just unlikely) and moved there instead, I would be self sufficient. The only difference is who I'm living with.

So if you can get a better deal than the market rate, you're some kind of fool? I think not

This is why your argument is so ridiculous. Because of the price I pay you say I'm not self sufficient. But if I were to find other accommodation at the same price (which is not an impossibility, just unlikely) and moved there instead, I would be self sufficient. The only difference is who I'm living with.

The difference is it's a subsided rate. If someone lives off food stamps are they self sufficient?

So if someone happened to get a good deal and save a bit of money compared to other houses of similar value, they're not self sufficient?

More logic fail.

The poster's mother has obviously paid a lot more towards the house over the years than the poster.

that has nothing to do with anything, its obvious but oh yeh 19 posts

So if you can get a better deal than the market rate, you're some kind of fool? I think not

of course not. and that's not anyone's argument.

The point is MM seems insistent that he's self sufficient, when in fact he's relying on some preferential arrangement with his mother.

of course not. and that's not anyone's argument.

The point is MM seems insistent that he's self sufficient, when in fact he's relying on some preferential arrangement with his mother.

Within the terms of that persons needs they are

More logic fail.

Lol. Only on your part. exactly like in the last post you wrote that in.

• Advertisement

The difference is it's a subsided rate. If someone lives off food stamps are they self sufficient?
    How many people live in houses where the rent they pay doesn't cover the mortgage? Are they failures?

Are all the people on the dole now failures?

I'm self sufficient because I earn my money, and I pay my half of the costs, just because my costs are lower than yours, doesn't mean I'm not self sufficient.

I'm self sufficient because I earn my money, and I pay my half of the costs, just because my costs are lower than yours, doesn't mean I'm not self sufficient.

your costs are lower because of your mothers help ≠ self sufficient. have a good night.

your costs are lower because of your mothers help ≠ self sufficient. have a good night.
    Once again, me and my mother split the costs 50/50.

I don't know how many times I have to keep saying it before you stop ignoring it.

self sufficiency is according to a persons costs, can they meet them, not wether they can meet the costs that other people pay

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Phantom, quick question.

Person A lives with his mother. The mortgage was paid for years ago. All bills/costs are split evenly between mother and son. This means that the son has a lower cost of living than if he had a landlord.

Person B lives with his friend. His friend was willed the house, and has agreed that he doesnt want rent, and just wants to split all costs down the middle. This means person B has a lower cost of living that if he had rent/landlord.

Are both these people not self sufficient or are they? Is one and not the other?

Once again, me and my mother split the costs 50/50.

I don't know how many times I have to keep saying it before you stop ignoring it.

But because of your mother paying off most of the mortgage you can afford to split it 50/50. Were that not the case you would have to pay more and you would not be able to afford to live there (as you said earlier)

I actually cant believe you think that you're self sufficient when you live at home with your mommy paying a token and substantially reduced rent.

But because of your mother paying off most of the mortgage you can afford to split it 50/50. Were that not the case you would have to pay more and you would not be able to afford to live there (as you said earlier)

I actually cant believe you think that you're self sufficient when you live at home with your mommy paying a token and substantially reduced rent.
    lol, I'm embarrassed for you. Didn't I tell you to read the thread?

How exactly is my mother paying off most of the mortgage (who even said there was a mortgage?) while splitting the rent 50/50 with me.

You may just be the next einstein if you can explain that one. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭LevelSpirit

Who cares why adults live with their parents.
    It could be out of necessity, or they could just feel really lonely without them.

The fact is, it is a sad state of affairs if an adult male is still living at home. The only people who will try to justify that are those very people. Keep trying though, because its funny reading it.

So if someone happened to get a good deal and save a bit of money compared to other houses of similar value, they're not self sufficient?

More logic fail.

Where are these "good deals" that allow you pay below market rates? Not including in your mammys house of course.

• Advertisement

Where are these "good deals" that allow you pay below market rates? Not including in your mammys house of course.

Yeah, you're right, there's no one in the country who has gotten a good deal on rent. :rolleyes:

Advertisement