Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

33% of Irish men aged 34 live at home

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Who cares why adults live with their parents.
    It could be out of necessity, or they could just feel really lonely without them.

The fact is, it is a sad state of affairs if an adult male is still living at home. The only people who will try to justify that are those very people. Keep trying though, because its funny reading it.

But I'm justifying it as acceptable and I left home at 17
    if it suits a person then so be it, who is anyone else to judge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

How exactly is my mother paying off most of the mortgage (who even said there was a mortgage?) while splitting the rent 50/50 with me.

You may just be the next einstein if you can explain that one. :rolleyes:
    Um, thats the past tense dude.

If most of the mortgage is already paid off, or if there isnt a mortgage, then that is the very definition of subsidised accommodation. Someone else paid it off - E.g. NOT YOU

You do realise that not everyone gets to live in a house that has most or all of its mortgage paid off, and that that is what sets market rates, right?

Right?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

CiaranC wrote: »

If most of the mortgage is already paid off, or if there isnt a mortgage, then that is the very definition of subsidised accommodation. Someone else paid it off - E.g. NOT YOU

You do realise that not everyone gets to live in a house that has most or all of its mortgage paid off, and that that is what sets market rates, right?

Right?
    Again, where did I mention a mortgage?

Right?

what? what is it you are saying sets market rates?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

In fairness its hard to beat an experienced woman in the home.

• Advertisement

Again, where did I mention a mortgage?

Im mentioning it. Its relevant. Houses arent free.

Im mentioning it. Its relevant. Houses arent free.
    Well done on your observation.

So presumably all the people house sharing who are paying rent that doesn't cover the mortgage are not self sufficient?

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

i left 'house' when i was 26. Had a great time living with mates. I still kick myself that i didn't do it when i was younger. Get out young men!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Well where the **** else are you supposed to live, on the ****ing moon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭LevelSpirit

At least now those poor unfortunates can blame the recession. Should make them feel a little bit better about their situation. :D

Get some balls lads. Ditch the tit. And find one thats not related to you.

• Advertisement

Well done on your observation.

So presumably all the people house sharing who are paying rent that doesn't cover the mortgage are not self sufficient?
    Why do you keep making these logical leaps? Im talking about someone who is directly benefiting from living in subsidised accommodation, accommodation which is subsidised by someone else paying off a mortgage and then allowing you to live there for cheaper, for below the market rates, for example.

Its nothing to do with people who are paying market rates in a houseshare.

These are two different situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

Who cares why adults live with their parents.
    It could be out of necessity, or they could just feel really lonely without them.

The fact is, it is a sad state of affairs if an adult male is still living at home. The only people who will try to justify that are those very people. Keep trying though, because its funny reading it.

I refer you to my post http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056055499&page=11 as to why I did, just to show what simplistic nonsense a comment like that is.

And its becoming very clear why phantoms family paid for them to move out at 17

Why do you keep making these logical leaps? Im talking about someone who is directly benefiting from living in subsidised accommodation, accommodation which is subsidised by someone else paying off a mortgage and then allowing you to live there for cheaper, for below the market rates, for example.

Its nothing to do with people who are paying market rates in a houseshare.

These are two different situations.
    So because I have a better deal than you, I'm not self sufficient?

If I were to move into another house, who's owner was moving away unexpectedly and needed someone to rent ASAP, therefore lowering the price to something below market price to attract renters fast, would I still not be self sufficient?

Right?

I was hoping you would clarify what you thinks sets the market rate?
    what has the market rate got to do with wether or not the mortgage is paid off?

Would'nt it be better for the enviroment to stay at home.

These young men are save the enviroment warriors. They are probably really really suffering at home with the mammies but just love the god damn planet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

The thread title is misleading. as soon as i read the title the thought occured to me, well where else are they going to live

So your home is your parents house because in your early years it was what you called home. so now your flat, house or any residence there after isnt your home :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭LevelSpirit

I refer you to my post http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056055499&page=11 as to why I did, just to show what simplistic nonsense a comment like that is.

And its becoming very clear why phantoms family paid for them to move out at 17

Yourself and a few people are spending an awful amount of effort defending living at home. Not everyone lives at home for the same reasons as you did. My advice is to just let it go. You couldnt move out. Most people can, but wont because its an easy life living with their parents.

I even know parents of a friend of mine who have told me to see if I can persuades their son to get a life and move out, because they have raised their children and now want to get on with the next phase of their lives.
    But these parents would never say this to their little boy themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I even know parents of a friend of mine who have told me to see if I can persuades their son to get a life and move out, because they have raised their children and now want to get on with the next phase of their lives.

Thats pretty lousy on their part IMO. Im not even a parent and have no particular gra for kids at all. But Im pretty sure if I did, I wouldnt be counting the minutes til they come of age so they can get out of my sight and let me go back to the good life and I certainly wouldnt be speaking to someone outside the family trying to undermine my own kid.

Theres 2 kinds of people in the world it seems. Those that dont bring kids into the world lightly and who live for them when they do, and those that just think its the done thing to pop afew sprogs in your twenties and then try to get shut of them in your 40's.

Yourself and a few people are spending an awful amount of effort defending living at home. Not everyone lives at home for the same reasons as you did. My advice is to just let it go. You couldnt move out. Most people can, but wont because its an easy life living with their parents.

But lots of other people do it for much the same reason and other reasons that nobody knows about, thats why making sweeping statements like yours and phantoms is nonsensical, I think that spending so much time in here minding other peoples business leads me to believe that there are people who should let that go.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Agricola wrote: »

Theres 2 kinds of people in the world it seems. Those that dont bring kids into the world lightly and who live for them when they do, and those that just think its the done thing to pop afew sprogs in your twenties and then try to get shut of them in your 40's.

That's absolute rubbish!

So you're saying that unless a parent wants their children to live with them well into adulthood, they don't really care about them?

It's selfish to expect the children you've lovingly and selflessly raised for many years to perhaps have the desire to make their own way in life? Hell, I'd be pretty disappointed if my son didn't want that for himself!

I love my son (and daughters) firecely and will be there for them through anything. However, I believe part of growing up means detatching yourself from the apron strings and becoming an independent person in your own right. That doesn't mean 'trying to get shut' of your children at all, it's just what grown adults are supposed to do when they've started their own careers and embarked on their own relationships.

Of course, there are different circumstances for different people - I don't dispute that at all. However, to assume parents are inately selfish to want that independence for their children is ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

blinding wrote: »
    In fairness its hard to beat an experienced woman in the home.

And there we have it ; the obligatory unfunny "beating up the wife" joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

But lots of other people do it for much the same reason and other reasons that nobody knows about, thats why making sweeping statements like yours and phantoms is nonsensical, I think that spending so much time in here minding other peoples business leads me to believe that there are people who should let that go.

My sweeping statements are about people doing it for a very specific reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Just thought I'd say....

Popular topic! I'm on page 8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

If you're still living at home with your mammy over the age of 20, do you still get bitty?

Just curious.

So because I have a better deal than you, I'm not self sufficient?

If I were to move into another house, who's owner was moving away unexpectedly and needed someone to rent ASAP, therefore lowering the price to something below market price to attract renters fast, would I still not be self sufficient?

You have a better deal than me because you are a grown man who lives with his mammy. There are no other circumstances where youd have the setup you have now, no matter how many you try to invent.

My sweeping statements are about people doing it for a very specific reason.

No, it was actually a sweeping statement, read the first comment you made. It was also served with a heavy does of self righteous pomposity.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

No, it was actually a sweeping statement, read the first comment you made. It was also served with a heavy does of self righteous pomposity.

Yeah I later clarified that. As well in a thread at the start of the year, so it wasn't some sort of change in opinion. But sure keep up the chip on your shoulder I'm sure you'll get a few more opportunities to get digs in before the thread is finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

That's absolute rubbish!

So you're saying that unless a parent wants their children to live with them well into adulthood, they don't really care about them?

It's selfish to expect the children you've lovingly and selflessly raised for many years to perhaps have the desire to make their own way in life? Hell, I'd be pretty disappointed if my son didn't want that for himself!

I love my son (and daughters) firecely and will be there for them through anything. However, I believe part of growing up means detatching yourself from the apron strings and becoming an independent person in your own right. That doesn't mean 'trying to get shut' of your children at all, it's just what grown adults are supposed to do when they've started their own careers and embarked on their own relationships.

Of course, there are different circumstances for different people - I don't dispute that at all. However, to assume parents are inately selfish to want that independence for their children is ridiculous.

Every parent obviously wants the best for their kids. Every parent wants their kids to have success in careers and relationships etc. But this isnt an ideal world and if things dont pan out for a person, for one reason or another, this tends to sort the real parents from the rest.
    Theres a subtle difference between wanting the best for them and actually going around complaining to others that your child wont leave the home and that you want to move on with your own life, something you cant do while they are around.

Im not really disagreeing with you. Your dead right. I just hate the attitude of some parents where they basically want to turf their kids out the door no matter what.

I am not suggesting anything but if you could get sex at home then what would be wrong with staying put.

If the mammy was past child bearing age ? ? ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

You have a better deal than me because you are a grown man who lives with his mammy. There are no other circumstances where youd have the setup you have now, no matter how many you try to invent.

That's a load of bollox. What about all the people who are left homes in wills? Are they also failures in life, just because they avail of something which is there for them to avail of? If you lost your job would you still be 'self-sufficient' as a few of you keep putting it? That would make you wonder what sort of yardstick you're measuring success with in the first place

Advertisement