Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

33% of Irish men aged 34 live at home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

I agree with you about parents paying for you to move out isn't any different to living at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭I-Shot-Jr

This thread just reminds me of stepbrothers. Haha "THATS NOT ENOUGH MONEY FOR PIZZA!"

Seriously though I've been living on my own from age 17. Its not that hard lads, just take a deep breath, give mammy a big kiss and off you go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I don't believe for one second that you decided at 17 to just move out without there being other factors involved. And paying rent on your own at 17? Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

I-Shot-Jr wrote: »
    This thread just reminds me of stepbrothers. Haha "THATS NOT ENOUGH MONEY FOR PIZZA!"

Seriously though I've been living on my own from age 17. Its not that hard lads, just take a deep breath, give mammy a big kiss and off you go!

Give more details to back up what your saying. Otherwise its just waffle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

imitation wrote: »
    They must not have been living in Ireland then, or at least must still be paying off there 15% interest mortgage.

nope folks are in clondalkin. house prices only started going nuts 15 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Echospace

What's stupid about it? we had this debate before but if you can't support yourself by mid twenties you're a bit of a failure imo.

Have to disagree there, I pay my parents weekly rent, do all my own cooking, shopping, dishes, clothes, etc. Have 2 bedrooms to myself, I could easily support myself (have lived outside the home before) but would just prefer my parents having the extra income than some random landlord.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

What's stupid about it? we had this debate before but if you can't support yourself by mid twenties you're a bit of a failure imo.
    Well which is it, over 20 or mid 20's? Just because someone lives at home doesn't mean they don't support themselves!

I'm in my mid 20's, I've house shared, I've lived alone on another continent. Now I'm back at home living with my mother. At this moment in time I simply can't afford to move out, and perhaps more importantly, my mother can't afford for me to move out because of the money I give her. I don't mooch off anyone!

Now I don't have a problem with this, I'm not embarrassed about it, and I find your comment to be incredibly ignorant tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭cybrandian

I am hoping to move out of home early next year into a one bedroom apartment. But 600 euro for a one bedroom apt in Limerick city seems extortionate? According to Daft.ie that seems to be a benchmark. Crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

cybrandian wrote: »
    I am hoping to move out of home early next year into a one bedroom apartment. But 600 euro for a one bedroom apt in Limerick city seems extortionate? According to Daft.ie that seems to be a benchmark. Crazy!

Try house share first?

There not all mad houses. Place im living is very quiet so ive no intention of paying 600/700 euros a month for a one bedroom micro flat.

Obviously stay away from student dungeons. They're a filthy noisy bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I wouldn't be surprised if I ended up living at home at sixty, 'cause I will never be able to afford to buy a house. :pac:

• Advertisement

Give more details to back up what your saying. Otherwise its just waffle.

Not that I feel obligated to give you any details but I actually moved away to a different school in another city (I was living in France at the time) my parents were wholly against the idea and through clever budgeting on my part and negotiating grant systems I moved away to get the education I wanted. After that I decided to move to Ireland, this is fully funded by myself through hard graft. I continue to fund my education through working by myself. Even now I dont have a single day off in the week (either college or work). However if you continue to believe what I say is waffle by all means go ahead! I don't have to prove my story to anyone.

So it's not easy as you originally said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

When I turned 18, I moved my parents out of the house.

It was sad to see them leave, even sadder to see them homeless, but I'm with Phantom Lord on this one - anyone still living with their parents over the age of 20 is a loser.

Dudess wrote: »
    So it's not easy as you originally said.

To be fair given the circumstances it wasn't all ****s and giggles but it really wasnt that hard. Just no room for laziness and if someone can do that at age 17 than surely at age 34 it should be very easy. However that doesn't mean I view all those living at home as lazy or incapable. Every situation is unique and it would be unfair and inappropriate to generalise. I know the current economic climate doesn't facilitate everyones' desired living arrangement however I don't feel that it is in anyway impossible.

Phantom Lord's 21 or something - either still living at home or in college and has absolutely no guarantee of a job when he's finished. But somehow it's ok for him to make the statements that he does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

did you kill them before you moved them out - or move them out raw ?

duckysauce wrote: »
    did you kill them before you moved them out - or move them out raw ?

yes.

Raekwon wrote: »
    Back on topic, I wonder what the stats are on Irish women living at home are? I'd say it's quite high but obviously alot less considering that single mothers get huge rent allowances.
    I sense an agenda being pushed... :pac:
    I personally know of three women over 30 still living at home... the third has no commitments and has a good job plus she is a total looker which makes me wonder why she is still under her folks feet :confused:
    Lol - what relevance have her looks?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sombaht

I just don't think mooching off your parents is sign of success.

But living on your own in a dingy bedsit somehow says "I've made it in life" ?? :confused::confused::confused:

Cheers,
    sombaht

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

yes.

yes you killed them or moved them ?

• Advertisement

duckysauce wrote: »
    yes you killed them or moved them ?

Yes.

Don't make me say it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    True. They could make competing dinners, ironing competitions, cleaning contests...

Competition is key to getting the full potential out of your women. Keeps them on their toes.

Funniest post i read all week. :D
    PMSL here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Sound Bite

I wouldn't consider it unusual for a 34 yr old to be living at home as could have had to move home for numberous reasons, unemployment, divorce, elderly/sick parents etc but I'd find it very strange that someone would never have left the family home in 34 years, especially if they have a choice in the matter.

Also anyone know that % for Irish women that age? I'd imagine its a lot lower

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Echospace wrote: »
    33% of Irish men aged 34 live at home
    67% of Irish men aged 34 are homeless?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

C'mon. I think living at home later than 20 is just plain embarrassing.

So someone in second/third year of college is supposed to also hold up a job that pays well enough for them to be able to afford to move out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

we had this debate before but if you can't support yourself by mid twenties you're a bit of a failure imo.

I suppose everybody has their own idea of what exactly constitutes 'failure' or 'success' (didn't Maggie Thatcher once say that "any man who, beyond the age of 26, finds himself on a bus can count himself as a failure"?).

As I sit here (at the age of 28... in my mother's house), posting words on a discussion board in the middle of the night, I can't help but feel that - had I been a bit lot more 'successful' in my early 20s - I could have maybe got myself a €350k mortgage and bought a nice house. Now, I'm not suggesting that the people who did buy over-priced houses are anything less than successful... but I would hate to be in that position right now. The idea of paying an extra few hundred Euro a month for the privilege of living in a small flat doesn't exactly fill me with excitement either.

If you're lucky enough to have tolerable parents, who give you plenty of space and respect your privacy, then I don't really see anything wrong with living under their roof when you're 34 or whatever. I certainly wouldn't splash out a load of money on a place of my own, just because some judgemental idiots might view my current domestic situation as 'an embarrassment'. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dr_Phil

Echospace wrote: »
    Is this true? Is the recession to blame for this?
    [/COLOR][/LEFT]
    Recession?? WTF, no, pussies love thei mums, don't they? :)

RayM wrote: »
    I suppose everybody has their own idea of what exactly constitutes 'failure' or 'success' (didn't Maggie Thatcher once say that "any man who, beyond the age of 26, finds himself on a bus can count himself as a failure"?).

She did. And look at her... a true role model for a successful political career and a happy personal life.

We should take note.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

RayM wrote: »

As I sit here (at the age of 28... in my mother's house), posting words on a discussion board in the middle of the night, I can't help but feel that - had I been a bit lot more 'successful' in my early 20s - I could have maybe got myself a €350k mortgage and bought a nice house. Now, I'm not suggesting that the people who did buy over-priced houses are anything less than successful... but I would hate to be in that position right now. The idea of paying an extra few hundred Euro a month for the privilege of living in a small flat doesn't exactly fill me with excitement either.

If you're lucky enough to have tolerable parents, who give you plenty of space and respect your privacy, then I don't really see anything wrong with living under their roof when you're 34 or whatever. I certainly wouldn't splash out a load of money on a place of my own, just because some judgemental idiots might view my current domestic situation as 'an embarrassment'. :)

What about a guy who owns a fleet of buses and drives one of them in order to cut down on costs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Dudess wrote: »
    I don't believe for one second that you decided at 17 to just move out without there being other factors involved. And paying rent on your own at 17? Really?

I moved out of home at 17.

Had the money, had the means, did it.

Advertisement