Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

33% of Irish men aged 34 live at home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Dudess wrote: »
    I sense an agenda being pushed... :pac:

Haha, that's what I get for agreeing with you :D But seriously, no agenda being pushed here what so ever..........I'm just surprised this is only about men and not about Irish people in general. If the title was "33% of Irish women aged 34 live at home" their would most likely be a mini shít storm in here :p
    Lol - what relevance have her looks?

You don't find it strange that a 33 year old women who could pass for a model and has a good career, nice car, etc still lives with her folks in their 3 bed semi-detached? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I don't care what age people leave home at, but I really don't get the idea of people using the recession as an excuse for living at home. To me, that sounds like a crap excuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Raekwon wrote: »
    But seriously, no agenda being pushed here what so ever..........I'm just surprised this is only about men and not about Irish people. If the title was "33% of Irish women aged 34 live at home" their would most likely be a mini shít storm in here :p
    Yep - agenda being pushed... :pac:
    In fairness, the study was about men.
    You don't find it strange that a 33 year old women who could pass for a model and has a good career, nice car, etc still lives with her folks in their 3 bed semi-detached? :confused:
    I do think it's strange but moreso her age/career, don't really see how her looks are relevant.

I don't care what age people leave home at, but I really don't get the idea of people using the recession as an excuse for living at home. To me, that sounds like a crap excuse.
    Being laid off, unable to afford to rent/unable to afford to pay the mortgage so having to rent out your property.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Why do you find it strange?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I haven't lived at home since i went to college which is about 7 years ago when i was 18. I'll always go up and visit when i can. My brother still lives at home and he's almost 30. He's takes advantage of it tbh as he's earning much more than me and can afford to move out. I don't think he contributes a lot tbh. There's nothing like a bit of independence!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Being laid off, unable to afford to rent/unable to afford to pay the mortgage so having to rent out your property.

Add in the self employed who will have taken a huge hit on available business with little to no social welfare support.

Yep - agenda being pushed... :pac:
    In fairness, the study was about men.

I'm just balancing the argument that's all, it always seems to goes one way on here anyway so I don't know why I bother :p
    I do think it's strange but moreso her age/career, don't really see how her looks are relevant.

*resists the bait* :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

To me, that (unemployment, poverty, etc) sounds more like a perfectly valid reason than a 'crap excuse'.

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Why do you find it strange?

I'm not really sure, I suppose I always thought she would have been snapped up long ago. Baffles me why she hasn't been :confused:

• Advertisement

Well maybe she'd prefer to snap someone up herself and hasn't met that person yet. I agree though it is unusual that she'd still be at home at that age and with a career.
    I'm just balancing the argument that's all, it always seems to goes one way on here anyway so I don't know why I bother :p
    And strangely enough, I see women - particularly Irish women - get nothing but abuse by some members of this site. :)

I'm not really sure, I suppose I always thought she would have been snapped up long ago. Baffles me why she hasn't been :confused:

Maybe she doesn't want to be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Well maybe she'd prefer to snap someone up herself and hasn't met that person yet.

Or maybe she just prefers to snap herself.......

Well maybe she'd prefer to snap someone up herself and hasn't met that person yet. I agree though it is unusual that she'd still be at home at that age and with a career.

Very true and she apparently gets on very well with her parents so maybe everyone benefits from their arrangement.
    And strangely enough, I see women - particularly Irish women - get nothing but abuse by some members of this site. :)

Opps, veering dangerously off topic there ;)

Just responding to your claim that there is a gender imbalance on Boards.ie in favour of women - not true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭St._Andalou

I moved out of home at 17.

Had the money, had the means, did it.

Presumably your parents had a part to play in that?

Presumably your parents had a part to play in that?

Not at all, i had been working assorted jobs since i was about 14 and saving my money. So i had plenty of savings. I didn't like living in the town i was living in and didn't feel it was advantageous for me to stay there at that point in my life, it didn't make sense for my parents to move the whole family so i moved myself.

It was a bit of a risk, no doubt, from my parents point of view, but the move gave me the chance to ignore certain bad elements that i had been involved with and focus on my studies, the sudden freedom forced me to get my head straight pretty quickly. All in all it was a great thing for me to have done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

I don't believe for one second that you decided at 17 to just move out without there being other factors involved. And paying rent on your own at 17? Really?

Why wouldn't you believe them? why would there have to be other factors? what did you have in mind out of curiosity prison?:D
    I left home at 17, within 2 months of doing my leaving, not college but moved into a house share, I admit I went back on Sundays for dinner, not because it was free but I suppose to talk to my family and I didn't even bring washing :D
    Differant people have differing circumstances, but I certainly wouldn't look at anyone as a failure because they were at home, I wouldn't pre judge them.
    I do know one guy still at home and he actually doesn't have any reason I can see to still be there as we were on similar pay and he was frugal too, he'd often complain about the costs of stuff though.
    I sense an agenda being pushed... :pac:

Lol - what relevance have her looks?

As for the girl that was stunning or cracking looking, well by some accounts if its a guy, he's either a loser or socially inept, but if it's a girl/woman and she's good looking in someones opinion, being mad, a tight wad or socially inept isn't considered because hot chicks dont have those downsides :D or maybe she likes it at home, or is saving for a new car or whatever?

Just responding to your claim that there is a gender imbalance on Boards.ie in favour of women - not true.

Definitely not. And especially not in AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

totally agree i know soooooo many guys still living at home, its kinda sad really by 21 they should have moved out!

Why!!?

• Advertisement

That seems like a very obvious and reasonable excuse explanation to me, you come across a tad young with that opinion, how can anyone really know other peoples circumstances?
    I mentioned one guy as i knew him for years, I'd well imagine the above was a reasonable explanation before the recession too

Merch wrote: »
    That seems like a very obvious and reasonable excuse explanation to me, you come across a tad young with that opinion, how can anyone really know other peoples circumstances?
    I mentioned one guy as i knew him for years, I'd well imagine the above was a reasonable explanation before the recession too

:eek: I'm over 10,000 posts old.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Speaking as a mammy, I'd be pretty miffed if my son hadn't been able to get his act together enough by the age of 34 to find his own way in life.

Believe me, as much as I love him and would be there for him through whatever life had to throw at him, I don't intend on cleaning, cooking or picking up after him after he's become an adult. I'll be teaching him the value of independance from an early age!

I also think it would be lovely for myself and his dad to have a little bit of independance ourselves when our kids are grown. In fact, I'm really looking forward to it! :)

:eek: I'm over 10,000 posts old.

I see, but that doesnt identify your age to me?
    It just sounds like the thing (and I'm not saying you are) a young opinionated but inexperienced person would say, full of idealism but lacking experience or the understanding that other peoples lives take a differant route.
    Also, just because someone achieved some material wealth that enabled them to get a house or houses doesn't necessarily mean they are a success as a person.

Nothing personal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

For those asking about the women, the percentage is 17.9%

This is always the way, as:
    • in the case of farmers, it is common for the son to remain on and look after the farm
    • men are more affected by the recession
    • men are more likely to have riskier jobs
    • men are more likely to have jobs that require travel (so they may work "on the road" or "onsite", but return to the parents home in between)
    • men are more likely to lose their home in the event of a breakdown in a relationship
    • men tend to marry and/or have kids later in life than women.

That being said, I have to say that, for me, the statistics are very different from my reality. Don't know any guy living at home, yet 3 of my female friends still do (late twenties). All 3 did move out at some stage, yet have moved back home, despite 2 working in decent paying jobs.

I don't necessarily consider it a failure to still be living with your parents beyond your early twenties (ie once finished college/training etc), but I think anyone who considers it ideal as a long-term situation has something wrong with them. One has to leave the nest and make their own way in life at some stage. For me (late twenties), if everything went pear-shaped and I lost my job home, I could see myself moving back for a few months, but would begin to crack up very quickly and would view "moving out" as my top priority.

For those who want to see the actual report go here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

I would be living at home still, only I had the good fortune to have a very powerful religious order tell lies about me. The Guards wouldn't back them up, so now I just get left alone.

I'm the Giuseppe Conlon of the Irish Mental Health Service.

Have you a clinician who'd care for a chat?

Fcuk off chocolate. Take the money and run, would be my advice.

*tickles desk sergeant*

Don't try me chocolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

When the head of the Irish forensic psychiatric service won't sit in a room with you, y'know you're home.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

As horrible as it is to say; there aren't jobs here if you never went to college.
    It starts with the secondary schools not giving educations (unless you have several hundred euro from mammy for grinds) which then starts the thing of "me mammy lets me live at home". So yeah, when someone can get a job, that actually allows them to rent a room; I'm happy to move out. Till then; piss off and don't look down your nose at me for living at home.

Just my two cents. :D

gurramok wrote: »
    I'm 35 and know quite a few men and women around my age who still live at home. Part of the reason is that they're urbanites and have no reason to move out until they meet someone special and settle. Also, they either can't afford to move out or they're staying in the family home for inheritance purposes!

I'm not quite sure what you mean here? is it that someone might think they would have some priority over someone else in a family over a will if they lived in the house, in essence waiting for their parents to die, like waiting it out? thats a gruesome way to think, if a person thinks that way.

If a person (relative) has that mindset, I'd get them out in case they tried to hurry the process.
    The idea some one might try undermine a will and dispute it with family because they have somehow weathered the storm? or mabye thats not what you meant.

It isn't a bad thing if someone can afford to move to try it by say 24-25 (personally I wouldn't have lasted that long myself,but each to their own) but if a person has to stay or move back due to personal or financial circumstances, then thats what they have to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Austerity

I've got a friend who moved in with his mother 4 years ago after he divorced his wife. My friend still lives with his mom and that means he hasn't had any sexy time the last 4 years BUT at least he owns a flash car and a cool motorcycle.

Advertisement