Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

33% of Irish men aged 34 live at home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

C'mon. I think living at home later than 20 is just plain embarrassing.

You clearly didn't go to uni.

I'm currently 22 and living at home (with my Dad).

I reckon I'll be here for a good few years, but I don't mind. I think it's grand, really. We get on well and he benefits from the money I pay him each week.

Of course he does pay for stuff for me, but I do the same for him. I'm not mooching! :P

Hopefully I'll get some kind of education and then job in the coming years (I've literally wasted the last five years of my life being depressed) so I'd be quite happy to move out at some point, but I'm in no rush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

I'm currently 22 and living at home (with my Dad).

I reckon I'll be here for a good few years, but I don't mind. I think it's grand, really. We get on well and he benefits from the money I pay him each week.

Of course he does pay for stuff for me, but I do the same for him. I'm not mooching! :P

Hopefully I'll get some kind of education and then job in the coming years (I've literally wasted the last five years of my life being depressed) so I'd be quite happy to move out at some point, but I'm in no rush.

That's the funny thing. Let's say you get 180 euro per week; you give your parents 80 of that. one week you can't afford it; you just owe it to them. You don't pay your rent or bills; bad things happen.

It's funny when people say you're a moocher living off mammy and daddy when you clearly aren't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

That's the funny thing. Let's say you get 180 euro per week; you give your parents 80 of that. one week you can't afford it; you just owe it to them. You don't pay your rent or bills; bad things happen.

It's funny when people say you're a moocher living off mammy and daddy when you clearly aren't.

I am something of a scabby bastard at the moment, but I have a good reason. :pac: Couldn't really give a **** if someone thought it was "sad" that I'm still living with my parents, I usually refer to the fact I'm in second year of college rather than my age of 22, sugar coats it a little bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Yes.

Don't make me say it again.

which is it ?

• Advertisement

amacachi wrote: »
    I am something of a scabby bastard at the moment, but I have a good reason. :pac: Couldn't really give a **** if someone thought it was "sad" that I'm still living with my parents, I usually refer to the fact I'm in second year of college rather than my age of 22, sugar coats it a little bit.

Do you pay any sort of rent/keep to them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Do you pay any sort of rent/keep to them?

Very little unfortunately. I commute to college and am paying back quite a big loan I had to get to get back into college so I haven't much to hand up.

amacachi wrote: »
    Very little unfortunately. I commute to college and am paying back quite a big loan I had to get to get back into college so I haven't much to hand up.

Ah but do you expect mammy and daddy to look after you without giving anything back? If not, then you aren't as bad as the people that look down on you.

After all, staying at home and paying what you can is just a better way of saying "I'm not risking my neck and being kicked out if I can't afford rent untill I'm sure I can afford it".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

A third of Irish men are still living at home at the age of 34, according to a new survey.

Is this due to a shortage of Irish girls?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

I would like to know where and how these surveys are conducted as I have never done one nor do I know anyone who has.:confused:

On a lighter note apparently Decko has.

• Advertisement

jay-me wrote: »
    I would like to know where and how these surveys are conducted as I have never done one nor do I know anyone who has.:confused:

On a lighter note apparently Decko has.

That made my day, thanks! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

I've been doing the sums, and I would probably spend more than two days a week up in me Ma's house. Saturday fry with me bros, here I come. Have to leave ye now lads or all the rashers will be gone. Still have fork-marks in the back of my hand from last week trying to snaggle the last fried spud.

*licks hand and lips contentedly*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I don't care what age people leave home at, but I really don't get the idea of people using the recession as an excuse for living at home. To me, that sounds like a crap excuse.
    I don't blame the recession, I blame my 20% pay cut.

Seriously, how can you post something so stupid?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Weel, i presumed that stats were for males aged from 24-34 year as opposed to 34 year old males.

Would be a strange anomoly if 33% of Irish males aged exactly 34 still lived their parents!
    Don't take this statistic away from me. I don't fit in anywhere else.
    I moved out of home at 17.

Had the money, had the means, did it.
    Fair play to you.

When I was 17 I was earning £2.04 an hour (union rates). There was no way I would have been able to move out at that age, even though I was working a 70+ hour week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Lol. Living with your parents at 34 :pac: Get a life for feck sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

It's weird - the idea of having to live with the folks fills me with horror, but over the past nine years since I moved out, there was a couple of times when I had to move back with them temporarily. Initially I couldn't stick it, but by god, it doesn't take long to get used to it and see the perks. Although I had a car so wouldn't have been in the house much anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Been in and out of the mothers house since I was 18, out more than in, currently living in **** accommodation in Dublin, it beats the backarse of nowhere even if the place is an overpriced dive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Dudess wrote: »
    Phantom Lord's 21 or something - either still living at home or in college and has absolutely no guarantee of a job when he's finished. But somehow it's ok for him to make the statements that he does.

Don't need a job yo. I actually moved out when I was 17, had rent paid for me the first year I moved out but since then I've been under my own stream.

I'm actually kind of surprised at ah's reaction over this and I guess that would go some way towards explaining the bizarre statistic at the start of the thread.

What's not ok about making that statement, I mean, extenuating circumstances aside, can you really call someone living at home in their mid twenties a success?

RayM wrote: »
    I suppose everybody has their own idea of what exactly constitutes 'failure' or 'success' (didn't Maggie Thatcher once say that "any man who, beyond the age of 26, finds himself on a bus can count himself as a failure"?).

As I sit here (at the age of 28... in my mother's house), posting words on a discussion board in the middle of the night, I can't help but feel that - had I been a bit lot more 'successful' in my early 20s - I could have maybe got myself a €350k mortgage and bought a nice house. Now, I'm not suggesting that the people who did buy over-priced houses are anything less than successful... but I would hate to be in that position right now. The idea of paying an extra few hundred Euro a month for the privilege of living in a small flat doesn't exactly fill me with excitement either.

If you're lucky enough to have tolerable parents, who give you plenty of space and respect your privacy, then I don't really see anything wrong with living under their roof when you're 34 or whatever. I certainly wouldn't splash out a load of money on a place of my own, just because some judgemental idiots might view my current domestic situation as 'an embarrassment'. :)

You can rationalise it in a way to make you feel better but you know you don't have to purchase a house in order to move out right?

Mark200 wrote: »
    So someone in second/third year of college is supposed to also hold up a job that pays well enough for them to be able to afford to move out?

Most people I know in that situation do. If college students can manage it then surely it can't be that hard.

Do people living at home not find their life stunted immensely by living at home?

Don't need a job yo. I actually moved out when I was 17, had rent paid for me the first year I moved out but since then I've been under my own stream.

I'm actually kind of surprised at ah's reaction over this and I guess that would go some way towards explaining the bizarre statistic at the start of the thread.

What's not ok about making that statement, I mean, extenuating circumstances aside, can you really call someone living at home in their mid twenties a success?

You can rationalise it in a way to make you feel better but you know you don't have to purchase a house in order to move out right?

Most people in that situation do. If college students can manage it then surely it can't be that hard.

Do people living at home not find their life stunted immensely by living at home?

Life is what you make it though... I could just be as much a shut in if I have my own house.

First it was anyone over 20, then it was mid 20's, now you allow for ''extenuating circumstances''. Nice to see consistency. :rolleyes:

What do you define as being a success? Does owning a house by 25 mean you're a success? Does renting with a few other people mean you're a success? Or is being able to support yourself considered a success?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I think men living at home in their 20's is more the norm than those in their 30's. Often enough men in their 20's living with mammy wouldn't have as many committments or responsibilites. They are likely to not have a job, just out of college, or back from traveling or working but just cannot afford a place of their own or just a home bird or just a mammy's boy!

Now those in their 30's its fair to say its okay if they live with mammy for a short term basis but think they should at least be living on their own if they have a job understandable if they couldn't afford a place of their own or waiting for their house to be built or be ready to move into but usually they have more other important things like a partner or kids to look after. They should be able to fend for themselves more though. If its due to the recession or not having a job that is understandable for men in either their 20's and or 30's to be living at home with mammy.

First it was anyone over 20, then it was mid 20's, now you allow for ''extenuating circumstances''. Nice to see consistency. :rolleyes:

What do you define as being a success? Does owning a house by 25 mean you're a success? Does renting with a few other people mean you're a success? Or is being able to support yourself considered a success?

Think over 20 is a bit embarrassing and past mid twenties is failure. By extenuating circumstances I mean things like if you're looking after family members or something. Mooching at that age is the worst aspect imo. My views are still consistent with the last topic we had on this.

I don't think managing to move out makes you a success, but not doing that definitely means failure.

Think over 20 is a bit embarrassing and past mid twenties is failure. By extenuating circumstances I mean things like if you're looking after family members or something. My views are still consistent with the last topic we had on this.

I don't think managing to move out makes you a success, but not doing that definitely means failure.

Please tell me you're joking... You can't obviously say that the 28 year old adult that's living at home; lecturing in college 40 hours per week and studying at night to get another educational leap is a failure...

Think over 20 is a bit embarrassing and past mid twenties is failure. By extenuating circumstances I mean things like if you're looking after family members or something. Mooching at that age is the worst aspect imo. My views are still consistent with the last topic we had on this.

So when I lived alone I wasn't a failure, but since I've moved back I am a failure?

All that's changed is my address, so can you be specific as to why I am a failure in your eyes please? And why you're so much better than me?

So when I lived alone I wasn't a failure, but since I've moved back I am a failure?

All that's changed is my address, so can you be specific as to why I am a failure in your eyes please? And why you're so much better than me?

I think the guy meant if you never moved out in general. Although if it is a case of moving back in makes you a failure then... I worry on his other views. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Terry wrote: »
    Don't take this statistic away from me. I don't fit in anywhere else.

Fair play to you.

When I was 17 I was earning £2.04 an hour (union rates). There was no way I would have been able to move out at that age, even though I was working a 70+ hour week.

You see, that was the good thing about living down the country, plenty of money to be made but nothing to spend it on. :pac:

You're either self sufficient or you're not. It's a pretty basic measure of success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Sure didnt the Lord Jesus Christ live at home with mammy til he was 33 and nobody crucified him for it!

Oh, hang on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

The estate agents fooled most single women here to buy up expensive property and end up in negative equity while most single Irish men were too smart to do this and stayed home with Mammy :D

• Advertisement

You're either self sufficient or you're not. It's a pretty basic measure of success.

Well I'm very sorry you feel that way. It's not as if people get fired now and can barely make ends meet or the dole is higher than it has been in years. Or you know... we're generally fu*ked.

Advertisement