Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

33% of Irish men aged 34 live at home

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Um, being able to buying a new car has nothing to do with being self sufficient, being able to afford to live does.

You can't afford to live without the help of your parents. Therefore you're not self sufficient?
    I can afford to live, I'm alive aren't I? I'm not homeless. My parents don't help me, I just live with my mother, we share the bills.

So tell me how I'm not self sufficient?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sombaht

How do you have friends/girls over? It has to be extremely awkward at best?
    Living at home does not prevent you from having a girlfriend! Yes your girlfriend can call around and visit, hell your folks may even get to like her! There's nothing to prevent you from staying at your girlfriends place or going away together. I dunno, for me, all those years ago it just seemed to work out.

Cheers,
    sombaht

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

I can afford to live, I'm alive aren't I? I'm not homeless. My parents don't help me, I just live with my mother, we share the bills.

So tell me how I'm not self sufficient?

Could you afford to live on your own in your own place?

Could you afford to live on your own in your own place?
    lol... just lol.

So now someone who can't afford to live alone are failures?

You're absolutely deluded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Merch wrote: »
    Personally I think you are taking the pi$$, you just winding people up, anyway you said you had rent paid for a year when you moved out, did that make you a failure, according to you yes, but were you,

seriously, what age are you?

Phantom Lord? Age range? cos you sound awfully immature or maybe exceptionally narrow view of things or are you going to ignore me asking that cos it doesnt suit you?

• Advertisement

But you can get your own room, net connection, cable TV and (to a much larger extent) privacy in your own place too. Not to mention a far more fruitful sex life

Or is paying for those things yourself what's putting you off?
    An active sex life can still happen, living at home does not mean your parents are keeping tabs on you, at least mine never did.
    I believe you should still contribute financially (if you are working) while living at home.
    Do you plan on living with mum and dad forever?
    I no longer live at home. Marriage and children "forced" me out.:P

Cheers,
    sombaht

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I can't ever personally imagine liveing with my mum in my 30's.
    It would just fasutrate the crap out of me, I need my own space.

Tho under money troubles... you could understand why..

Its pretty sad a 34 year old can't look after him self....
    Tho I wonder if there dads are still around. I wouldnt like my mum living on her own but i wouldnt guilt my self into living with her...

If that was the situation...

lol... just lol.

So now someone who can't afford to live alone are failures?

You're absolutely deluded.

No just someone that has to rely on their parents for help. Sorry for making you face reality.

No just someone that has to rely on their parents for help. Sorry for making you face reality.
    So why did you ask me if I can afford to live on my own?

You keep saying parents, I've said multiple times I only live with my mother. Singular.

In answer to your question, yes I can afford to live on my own, and if fact I have done so. Just not in Ireland. Am I suddenly a success?

You still haven't told me how I'm not self sufficient. Can you provide an answer?

Merch wrote: »
    Phantom Lord? Age range? cos you sound awfully immature or maybe exceptionally narrow view of things or are you going to ignore me asking that cos it doesnt suit you?

I just ignored you because there's not much point in responding to someone that resorts to a straw man argument which magic marker is also resorting to now.

• Advertisement

So why did you ask me if I can afford to live on my own?

You keep saying parents, I've said multiple times I only live with my mother. Singular.

You still haven't told me how I'm not self sufficient. Can you provide an answer?

In answer to your question, yes I can afford to live on my own, and if fact I have done so. Just not in Ireland. Am I suddenly a success?

You said you have to live with your mother because you can't afford to move out. That to me is not being self sufficient, and to me, at that age, is a basic failure.

I just ignored you because there's not much point in responding to someone that resorts to a straw man argument which magic marker is also resorting to now.
    Speaking of straws, you're clutching at them.

I dont really thing that applies here, I'm not trying to tell you what you are saying,I m just wondering what age group someone falls into that actually believes what you are saying?

So you decline

You said you have to live with your mother because you can't afford to move out. That to me is not being self sufficient, and to me, at that age, is a basic failure.
    How am I not self sufficient? Explain it to me.

Speaking of straws, you're clutching at them.

Nah you're just trying to rationalise a way out of how living at home is failure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

If someone is living at home in order to save money then yes. It's effectively mooching.

It appears that our definitions of 'mooching' differ somewhat. My own definition (and, coincidentally, my dictionary's) is that to mooch is to steal or take something from somebody else at their expense. If the parents are actually benefiting from having their son/daughter living under their roof, then nobody is mooching.

I don't really understand why you hold such strong opinions on this, and feel the need to make ignorant, offensive, sweeping statements about the way other people choose to live their lives. If you didn't have a five-digit postcount and the word 'Moderator' under your username, your posts in this thread would be widely dismissed as the deliberately incendiary, shit-stirring ramblings of a tedious troll.

Phantom Lord
    have you ever read a novel called Hard Times?

You remind me of a character in that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I try to get out, but they keep pulling me back in!

Phantom, why cant you just come out and admit that your issue with people living at home has got nothing to do with financial independence and everything to do with the stigma of adults living with their parents.

This debate with MagicMarker shouldnt be about his ability to pay his way, but why you feel he shouldnt be living at home at the age of twenty-whatever.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Nah you're just trying to rationalise a way out of how living at home is failure.

Congratulations to all homeless people, then.

If some people believe they can and should move out of home then good for them,
    if they happen to get caught by circumstances financially or personal and need to live in the parental home then so be it.

If they decide to stay at home because it suits them and they are paying their way, well if there are any limitations to that then that is their own choice,

it certainly isn't up to other individuals to decide that people of differing opinions or financial means are failures

• Advertisement

There's been so much back-pedaling going on here that I've forgotten what category I fall into. I couldn't have been a moocher as I was contributing financially whilst living at home. Failure seems to be linked to the inability to be self-sufficient, but at the time I could have afforded to live away from home (but to me it made no economic sense, my parents shared the same idea) so in that regard I was self-sufficient. So not a moocher, not a failure what left?

Cheers,
    sombaht

Agricola wrote: »
    I try to get out, but they keep pulling me back in!

Phantom, why cant you just come out and admit that your issue with people living at home has got nothing to do with financial independence and everything to do with the stigma of adults living with their parents.

This debate with MagicMarker shouldnt be about his ability to pay his way, but why you feel he shouldnt be living at home at the age of twenty-whatever.

It is about financial independence, as I said earlier I don't think someone who moves out with their parents support is any better.

MagicMarker seems insistent to engage in some bizarre merry-go-round argument about how he's living at home because he can't afford to move out but yet that doesn't mean he's not self sufficient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

How am I not self sufficient? Explain it to me.
    Cause you cant afford to put a roof over your head by yourself...?

Can you answer my question please? Cheers.

CiaranC wrote: »
    Cause you cant afford to put a roof over your head by yourself...?
    In that case anyone who house shares is a failure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

In that case anyone who house shares is a failure?
    Huh?

Someone who was self sufficient would be able to provide a home for themselves. Its basic english.

Can you answer my question please? Cheers.

I already have, you just seem unable to accept the premise that requiring help from your parents means you're not self sufficient.

It is about financial independence, as I said earlier I don't think someone who moves out with their parents support is any better.

MagicMarker seems insistent to engage in some bizarre merry-go-round argument about how he's living at home because he can't afford to move out but yet that doesn't mean he's not self sufficient.

Didnt you say you were supported for a year when you moved out?

RayM wrote: »
    I don't really understand why you hold such strong opinions on this, and feel the need to make ignorant, offensive, sweeping statements about the way other people choose to live their lives. If you didn't have a five-digit postcount and the word 'Moderator' under your username, your posts in this thread would be widely dismissed as the deliberately incendiary, shit-stirring ramblings of a tedious troll.

I think it's quite incredible that i'm being villainized for saying that it's wrong to be mooching off your parents.

• Advertisement

CiaranC wrote: »
    Huh?

Someone who was self sufficient would be able to provide a home for themselves. Its basic english.

You said ''by yourself'', also basic english. Anyone who house shares obviously doesn't put a roof over their head by themselves, so evidently they're all failures.

Advertisement