Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

33% of Irish men aged 34 live at home

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

I already have, you just seem unable to accept the premise that require help from your parents means you're not self sufficient.

It must be great to be such a powerhouse of success, I'm sure all around you look up to and admire you

You surely are a self made man

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Merch wrote: »
    Didnt you say you were supported for a year when you moved out?

Yes partly. When I was seventeen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Nah you're just trying to rationalise a way out of how living at home is failure.

I'm not sure how sharing bills and paying digs money to a parent is any different to sharing bills with a flatmate and paying rent to a landlord, other than the relationship with the house-sharer. :confused:

My husband pays digs money and spends the week at home with his parents and the weekends here in the house we pay a mortgage on - by your logic is he a failure for holding a job down and living with the olds mon-fri or a success for paying a mortgage for a house he barely lives in?

I don't think it's as black and white as you are making out. There is a huge difference between someone living off their parents and someone living WITH their parents.

Yes partly. When I was seventeen.

So in your books, you're a failure?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I already have, you just seem unable to accept the premise that requiring help from your parents means you're not self sufficient.
    No you haven't, you just tell me that living with my mother (again, SINGULAR) is not being self sufficient. Me and my mother share the bills equally, so she doesn't help me.

I'm asking you how I'm not being self sufficient? You're just ignoring the question because you can't answer it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sombaht

I already have, you just seem unable to accept the premise that require help from your parents means you're not self sufficient.

Therefore someone who house shares is also not self-sufficient. As they require help from the other members sharing to cover the rent/bills/expenses.

Cheers,
    sombaht

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

The example of house sharing is valid. You wouldnt describe people who house share as failures. People who divide up the domestic duties and share the burden of bills couldnt be said to be failures. The only way these people are different from the group we are discussing is that they are living with strangers as opposed to family members.

Merch wrote: »
    So in your books, you're a failure?

Well since I'm talking about people in their twenties...?

Are you Bill Cullen

looking down your nose at people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

You said ''by yourself'', also basic english. Anyone who house shares obviously doesn't put a roof over their head by themselves, so evidently they're all failures.
    I can see why you still live with your ma.

People CHOOSE to houseshare cos they like it, to save money, cos they dont want to live alone, cos the want to live with their mates, for security, to party, because there are accommodation shortages near various colleges etc.

You live with your ma cos you cant afford to live anywhere else.

You are not self-sufficient.

See the difference?

• Advertisement

CiaranC wrote: »
    I can see why you still live with your ma.

People CHOOSE to houseshare cos they like it, to save money, cos they dont want to live alone, cos the want to live with their mates, for security, to party, because there are accommodation shortages near various colleges etc.

You live with your ma cos you cant afford to live anywhere else.

You are not self-sufficient.

See the difference?
    I think you'll find that the vast majority of people choose to house share because they can't afford to rent on their own.

I'm sorry, but you'd have to be an idiot to think otherwise.

So can you tell me how I'm not self sufficient? Other than ''because you live with your ma''.

Well since I'm talking about people in their twenties...?

I thought it was thirties you were covering

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

I think it's quite incredible that i'm being villainized for saying that it's wrong to be mooching off your parents.

I think you will find you're being villianized for being boorish, condescending, insulting and pompous, not for saying its wrong to mooch off your parents.

I'm asking you how I'm not being self sufficient? You're just ignoring the question because you can't answer it.

Um, I already have answered it.

Um, I already have answered it.
    sigh...

Okay, let me rephrase the question. Is someone who lives with a friend and splits all costs 50/50, self sufficient?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I think it's quite incredible that i'm being villainized for saying that it's wrong to be mooching off your parents.

My view is that you're trolling (for reasons expressed in my previous post). Feel free to prove me wrong by showing exactly how a person who lives with their parents in a mutually beneficial arrangement (i.e. somebody who isn't 'mooching') is stealing or taking something from them at their expense. By being so shifty and evasive and ignoring any scrutiny of your highly questionable opinions, you aren't doing yourself any favours...

sigh...

Okay, let me rephrase the question. Is someone who lives with a friend and splits all costs 50/50, self sufficient?

If someone can afford to live financially independently then yes.
    RayM wrote: »
    My view is that you're trolling (for reasons expressed in my previous post). Feel free to prove me wrong by showing exactly how a person who lives with their parents in a mutually beneficial arrangement (i.e. somebody who isn't 'mooching') is stealing or taking something from them at their expense. By being so shifty and evasive and ignoring any scrutiny of your highly questionable opinions, you aren't doing yourself any favours...

If you're living with your parents because it's cheaper than moving out then I still consider that mooching.

If someone can afford to live financially independently then yes.

So we agree that someone living with a friend and splitting costs 50/50 is self sufficient.

But if you take away the word friend, and replace it with mother, then you're not self sufficient.

Logic fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

If you're living with your parents because it's cheaper than moving out then I still consider that mooching.

If people living at home is a mutually beneficial arrangement for all involved, then its not mooching! What your saying has no logic. Please just say that you dont like the idea of adults living with their parents! We can all just go home, (to our mammies) then! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

Agricola wrote: »
    If people living at home is a mutually beneficial arrangement for all involved, then its not mooching! What your saying has no logic. Please just say that you dont like the idea of adults living with their parents! We can all just go home, (to our mammies) then! :D

To a great big dinner I hope agricola:D

• Advertisement

So we agree that someone living with a friend and splitting costs 50/50 is self sufficient.

But if you take away the word friend, and replace it with mother, then you're not self sufficient.

Logic fail.

Um, you said you couldn't afford to move out? the safe assumption there is obviously it's costing you less to live with your mother than it would be to share with a friend. Otherwise you would be able to afford to move out no?

is the % of men with their parents higher than women simply because men got hammered more than women when the construction industry collapsed?

When I was in college the number of people who had moved out of home but were bankrolled by their parents was massive. The people who stayed at home because their parents couldnt afford to pay their rent are no different really. In fairness todays student would have a hard time getting a part time job in fairness. Gold dust. And a huge amount of people have gone back to college - I bet the number of men gone back is higher than women as the male unemployment rate is higher.

Um, you said you couldn't afford to move out? the safe assumption there is obviously it's costing you less to live with your mother than it would be to share with a friend. Otherwise you would be able to afford to move out no?
    Um, I can't. But we still split costs 50/50.

So am I still not self sufficient, even though I'm in the exact same situation that you yourself said is self sufficient?

Wait just so we're clear.

When I said yes to this I assumed rent was included in the costs that were split.

Are you asking me if someone lives rent free with a friend but splits everything else are they self sufficient?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Oh, Jesus wept...

But anyway, slippery evasiveness and illogical misuse of words aside, I've just had a quick look on daft.ie, and I've found hundreds of rooms available for considerably less than I pay each month. Most of them have wireless broadband, so I could cancel my UPC account, thus saving myself a further €42 a month. If I was to move out (into a house possibly owned by somebody else's parents), I would save at least €150 per month altogether. It would be a bit of a pisser for my mother, having an empty spare room, but she could always rent it out (to somebody else's son, perhaps) and recoup some of the money that I pay her. Would this be an acceptable 'mooch-less' situation?

Or is your real gripe not the whole 'mooching' issue, but the judgemental 'embarrassment' factor to which you initially referred?

Wait just so we're clear.

When I said yes to this I assumed rent was included in the costs that were split.

Are you asking me if someone lives rent free with a friend but splits everything else are they self sufficient?
    No, rent is included.

No, rent is included.

Huh? So now you're saying you can afford to move out?

Huh? So now you're saying you can afford to move out?
    When did I say that? I've said all along that I pay rent.

Why are you living at home if you're self sufficient?
    Because I can't afford to move out

either you're able to move out or you're not self sufficient.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Hey dad, there's a strange fella sittin' on the sofa munchy-wunching lomticks of toast.

Advertisement