Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with stuff that doesn't make sense!

• 08-10-2010 5:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭

This is a thread for asking questions about concepts you don't understand in school! Ask about anything: just abide by a few rules

1. No chat, it will get confusing

2. In the title of your post, put in the topic you are writing about, so we know what we are looking at. (ie: Briathra Neamhrialta, equating coefficients)

3. NO DOING PEOPLES HOMEWORK! If it is one question/type of question that you simply can't get then fine, but I don't want things to descend into lazy people coming back day after day with doable questions.

My first question, in the mass spectrometer in Chemistry, what is the purpose of ionizing? What do the electrons do? Do they bump electrons out of the sample or what? My teacher can't explain it:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

You'll find nearly everything you need to know about it here: http://www.chemguide.co.uk/analysis/masspec/howitworks.html#top

If there's anything else you don't understand about it after reading that, I'll be happy to explain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭BL1993

The purpose of ionisation chamber is to turn atoms into ions, i.e charged atoms. Electron gun fires high energy electrons at the atoms and knocks out electrons in the atom leaving it positively charged. This is because electrons are negatively charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 jomama

very good link nommm.

The key to the requirement to ionise is that ...as the link says...NEUTRAL PARTICLES ARE COMPLETELY UNAFFECTD BY A MAG FIELD.

This means that if you dont ionise the neutral particles that have been fired into the chamber, they cannot be directed anywhere, and will just "pool" there.

They must all be ionised as positive because if they were negative they would be directed to the LEFT of the spectrometer diagram, and would not be directed to the detector etc. You dont need to understand WHY if you dont do physics, but if you are interested, google "FLEMING'S LEFT HAND RULE". Basically positives will travel in one direction, and negatives in the exact opposite direction, so I suppose rather than having to double up on all the detection equipment etc, they design spectrometers for 1 type of ion only.

Advertisement