Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cleaning cassetes, chains etc

• 08-10-2010 5:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,069 ✭✭✭✭

whats the best way to clean deraileurs, cassetes, chain etc? Nice build up of gunk on mine and dont fancy anything going snap or falling off.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

You need a degreaser to start with. I use Fenwick's foaming degreaser, which works a bit like oven cleaner. You spray it on the chain and cassette, leave it for a couple of minutes, scrub it well with an old toothbrush or something and rinse it off. You then need to lube your chain (but not the cassette) - Finish Line lubes are good - one drop in each link in the chain. Wipe off the excess with a clean(ish) rag and you're ready to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

I usually take the chain and cassette off, soak it in petrol for a few mins, wash well in soapy water and put back on. Grease chain and away for road!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭easygoing39

I usually take the chain and cassette off, soak it in petrol for a few mins, wash well in soapy water and put back on. Grease chain and away for road!

I do similar,remove chain and cassette and wash in petrol,then wash in sink with warm water and muc-off.Dry everything,replace on bike,then lube chain with oil.Cheap and cheerfull!!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭trailbiker

But doesnt tha mean having to remove a connector pin and then using another one again when putting the chain back on? How often do you wash your chain like this then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

I wash my chain in a basin or the sink, hot water mixed with washing powder (for clothes). I do it every 3-4 weeks. every week I wipe the chain with kitchen roll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

trailbiker wrote: »
    But doesnt tha mean having to remove a connector pin and then using another one again when putting the chain back on? How often do you wash your chain like this then?

Get your self some Sram power links

power_link_9-speed.jpg

About €4 for 3 of them, open and close your chain without the use of a chain tool and super quick.

Adrian

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

trailbiker wrote: »

I use a quick link as adrian said. I do this about every 6 weeks or sooner if its really grubby

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ajk24

Get your self some Sram power links

power_link_9-speed.jpg

About €4 for 3 of them, open and close your chain without the use of a chain tool and super quick.

Adrian

i assume the mavic ones work the same. i've just bought a bunch of them off crc. what the mechanisms for removing them?

ajk24 wrote: »
    i assume the mavic ones work the same. i've just bought a bunch of them off crc. what the mechanisms for removing them?

One of these?
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=47439

Yea I suppose one of those might help but I just use a standard pliers, works fine plus if I'm out on a trail and need to do something to my chain for a getto repair I have a pliers as part of my multi tool.

• Advertisement

Is the Sram power links compatible with a shimano chain? Provided that I buy a 10sp link for a 10sp chain, that is.

Yep as far as I know.

IMPORTANT: 10SP Links are POWERLOCK, they fit together but then are not designed to come apart again.

From this

..is there a 10sp link out there that can be attached and removed from a 10sp shimano chain?

I've taken this thread off topic... apologies. I'll start a new thread to see if I can get answer.

Advertisement