Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Highchairs

• 08-10-2010 5:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭

After negotiating the minefield of buggies, cots and carseats, I now have a new project on my hands - the highchair. The wee buck is only 4 months old and breastfed, so I don't intend starting until he's six months, but I want to get him used to sitting in the chair and don't want to be shelling out before Christmas. As well as that, he's getting too big for his bouncer and loves being up high.

I'd love a wooden highchair as I find the others very garish and plasticky, but the TrippTrapp and others like it are only suitable for sitting into the table. I'd like one with a tray as well so he can play with his toys in it while I'm pottering round the kitchen. I don't mind paying round the €100 but the TT is reeeeeally expensive:eek:

So people, any recommendations/experiences/ones to avoid?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭goosie2005

HI the tripp trapp highchair is expensive, but totally worth it...much more sociable for baby too, sitting at the table I ended up getting 2 when pregnant on my 2nd, as i found them great to sit on when pregnant, i use them as much as my kids! Also i got the stokke tray which you stick on the table so it can act as a play tray too..again expensive but worth it i think. Anyone i know who has this highchair loves theirs. I got 2 together from www.backinaction.co.uk and worked out much cheaper than irish shops at the time...but that was during the Celtic tiger!, so not sure what they are going for now, and can't remember cost of delivery. Had a quick look at the website and they have an offer of free tray til oct 31st.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Ikea have a really nice wooden one with a tray and it's very reasonable.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

We got a wooden one that is a high chair or a table and chair.It is brilliant.

http://www.kiddicare.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/productdisplayA_131_10751_-1_14637_107132_10001_14633

We also have the fisher price rainforest travel one which is also brilliant.

She is now 21 months old and the wooden one is brilliant,she loves sitting at the table with us or having it as a low chair for snacks or drawing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 305 ✭✭Greystoner

Hi there,

I bought one of the more expensive highchairs, that had won 'awards' etc (with all the extras; basket etc which I didn't use btw!) It cost E130 and was not worth the hassle having to constantly remove all the pads and wash the straps in the washing machine etc and then all the bits of food in all the areas where there are screws/joints etc.

I had this for two little ones and now, looking back I wish that I had bought one of those simple wooden ones that convert into a table and chair for when they are older, this would have been perfect.

Therefore, would recommend one of these!

Think they are in Mothercare (well, they were) and about E60/65.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

If you're into the tripp trapp I've come across them on some of the various parent website second hand around the €100 mark.

I picked up a lovely wooden one with a tray that can be used at the kitchen table either for €40! Its lovely heavy quality & not too hard to clean either.

Whatever you go for try avoid one with lots of nooks and crannies for food to get stuck in, nothing worse than finding mushed up banana three days later in hidden gaps :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

Have to agree on the tripp trapp, expensive but so worth it, maybe grannie or auntie could chip in for christmas pressie?
    We have used ours constantly since it arrived 3.5 yrs ago, first for ds, then as a kitchen chair, and now for dd. Will use again for next one and dont see it ever leaving to be honest it is such a comfortable chair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Thanks guys for all the replies. I guess I'm kinda sold on the TrippTrapp, just trying to justify the price of it. I'm the type of person who would spend a month kicking myself if I shelled out a fortune on something that I didn't get my money's worth out of i.e. a scabby h**r:D
    lynski wrote: »
    We have used ours constantly since it arrived 3.5 yrs ago, first for ds, then as a kitchen chair, and now for dd.

Is the TT high enough to sit into a breakfast bar (it's at sink/worktop height)?

I've come across cheaper versions of it after some googling; has anyone used the Mothercare one, the Babydan or the Hauck one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

We got a wooden Winnie the Pooh high-chair and table set for Rory when she was about 6 months that she's still using:

http://www.additionsdirect.co.uk/3-in-1-wooden-highchair/544634931.prd

I *think* we got it in Mothercare but can't rightly remember. Only drawback to it that I can warn of is the natural wood can be a pain to clean when baby throws something like bolognaise all over it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭goosie2005

hi again, if you are set on tripp trapp, have a look on ebay. i remember when i was getting mine, the parenting sites mentioned that you could get them cheaper from austria, just did a quick search and found this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tripp-Trapp-High-Chair-Stokke-baby-rail-/300480450291?pt=UK_Baby_Babay_Feeding_Highchairs_Boosters_LE&hash=item45f607cef3
    seems to get good feedback and even with postage works out not too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

FYI the baby set on that chair is an older model, which is why they might be a more reasonable price.

• Advertisement
Advertisement