Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Gene Roddenberry....

Options
  • 08-10-2010 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭

Will Gene Roddenberry be regarded in the future as the "real" Nostradamus?

I know hes not a prophet but his early work in particular on Star Trek has already been realised in the scientific and modern world.

A true visionary hundreds of years ahead of his time IMO..

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

No please dont be ridiculous.
    I know hes not a prophet but his early work in particular on Star Trek has already been realised in the scientific and modern world.

And exactly what work on star trek has been realised? do you mean mobile phone tech etc? if so alot of what people may like to think star trek is responsible for is infact not, the need, want or requirements for certain technologies were inspired long before the creation of the shows. for example mobile telephony tech was available through the first world war (granted they were large) and star trek is absolutely not responsible for realising miniaturisation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭whynotdo

No he wont be remembered as a Nostrodamus(anyway i think ND only gives us a few years)

He will be remembered as a Man who brought and popularised mind boggling theories to the mass's in a way almost nobody has ever done.

Shame to see it being called "ridiculous" ,but many Astronomers are well known for trying to be elitest, self important, and smug,One of many reasons people just get turned off it at a very Young age.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭oneillMan999

No please dont be ridiculous.

Ridiculous? Is this the extent of your arguement? :confused:
    And exactly what work on star trek has been realised? do you mean mobile phone tech etc? if so alot of what people may like to think star trek is responsible for is infact not, the need, want or requirements for certain technologies were inspired long before the creation of the shows. for example mobile telephony tech was available through the first world war (granted they were large) and star trek is absolutely not responsible for realising miniaturisation

I think you`re completely missing the point here. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

Ridiculous? Is this the extent of your arguement? :confused:

I think you`re completely missing the point here. :rolleyes:

You want to compare the controversial nostradamus as prophesier, a questionable physician and astrologist to gene roddenberry especially in a section called astronomy and space? i am unsure of a section of boards as to where you could discuss the topic but the closest thing i can think of is the Psychics and Mediums which has active astrological related topics

I apologise for my rash and potentially judgemental post but this isnt the place for a serious debate on nostradamus.

However i cant see a problem with discussing gene roddenberry as someone who widely popularised ideas relating to space, space travel, etc. or even some gimmicky item or tech that hey may be credited for inspiring in later realisation due to the popular phenomenon we know as star trek

I would actually be interested to know of any tech or idea roddenberry could be credited for inspiring apart from the already reincarnations of neccessities or things already realised. i have had this discussion before but never reached a conclusion, maybe because we might need a die hard trekky to sift through everything

in fact if im not mistaken i think i recall nasa approaching creative producers like stephen spielberg, i could be mistaken however, it may have been something along the lines of a creative delivery method for a craft on successfully landing on mars.
    whynotdo wrote: »

Shame to see it being called "ridiculous" ,but many Astronomers are well known for trying to be elitest, self important, and smug,One of many reasons people just get turned off it at a very Young age.

i did not state anything relating to gene roddenberry as ridiculous with the exception of the comparison to nostradamus

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I think that Star Trek was watched by many many kids in the 1960's who are now Adult scientists and engineers in various parts of the world.

They may have got some of their ideas from the series and been motivated.

Then again they may not.

Gene Roddenberry never 'predicted' anything in my opinion, but he may have encouraged one or two imaginations.

• Advertisement

Rubecula wrote: »
    I think that Star Trek was watched by many many kids in the 1960's who are now Adult scientists and engineers in various parts of the world.

They may have got some of their ideas from the series and been motivated.

Then again they may not.

Gene Roddenberry never 'predicted' anything in my opinion, but he may have encouraged one or two imaginations.

Well said

and lest not forget roddenberry would have also been inspired by the science and theory of his time.

He predicted in the early 1960's that all races and both sex's as well as all Skin colours would one day be in Orbit around Planets.
    Mir first and now the ISS are displaying those then radical ideas that could have got him lynched in the USA of the time..........That is just a start.....I wont even go into the struggles he had to fight to get and keep the show on air.

He appealed to our better demons and Won.............The fact that Star Trek remained in many forms for so long is IMO the way life could be rather than as it is in reality for most People.

slade_x wrote: »

and lest not forget roddenberry would have also been inspired by the science and theory of his time.

You never Well said to Me when i said exactly the same thing about him Yonks ago:confused:

any chance of a report a good post coming soon to boards;)

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭oneillMan999

when i compared him to nostradamus, i used the word "real" in inverted commas as to suggest nostradamus was a fake, which anyone with half a brain already knows.

I think in 500 years from now when/if we have developed inter-stellar travel, we will look back and ask were it all started, and gene roddenberrys name will be mentioned as a visionary pioneer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I was always under the impression that he got many of his ideas from the likes of Isaac Asimov and such. And it is said that he also got the idea of the tv series from the film Forbidden Planet. This also mentioned interstellar travel.

So I remain unconvinced as to the original argument of this thread. But that is only my opinion, feel free to disagree.

• Advertisement

Naturaly I have picked the bit of Roddenberyy's life that suits My argument:D

Eugene Wesley "Gene" Roddenberry (August 19, 1921 – October 24, 1991) was an American television screenwriter, producer and futurist]

The full story of his life on is at the link below from wikipedia (it asks for no citations)

It is one of the reasons i enjoy Boards so much, the fact that it forces Me to reconsider things i thought were written in stone.

It seems to Me that actually We have all been singing from the same sheet but like the new plan for NASA to aim for Mars by a flexible approach,We have approached the same goal by diffrient approachs:D

I hate it when words meant in genuine innocence are taken as a personal insult(hands up i have been by far the guiltiest of that of late)
    forced as i was to take a second look at his life above the hype i feel slightly disappointed by the realities of how he had to earn a $.:(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_Roddenberry

and one of the pages on Wiki that does ask for citations but still shows He was one in a Billion!

Star Trek is one of the most culturally influential television shows—and perhaps the most influential science fiction TV series—in history. The original series, which aired in the late sixties, has since spawned five successor series, eleven movies, a plethora of merchandise, and a multi-billion dollar industry collectively known as the Star Trek franchise (currently owned by CBS Television Studios, which now owns television properties previously held by Paramount Pictures, the studio that produced Star Trek for many decades; Paramount continues to hold DVD rights to the TV series, and the rights to produce feature films).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_influence_of_Star_Trek

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

whynotdo wrote: »
    He predicted in the early 1960's that all races and both sex's as well as all Skin colours would one day be in Orbit around Planets.
    Mir first and now the ISS are displaying those then radical ideas that could have got him lynched in the USA of the time..........That is just a start.....I wont even go into the struggles he had to fight to get and keep the show on air.

He appealed to our better demons and Won.............The fact that Star Trek remained in many forms for so long is IMO the way life could be rather than as it is in reality for most People.

I think if you read science fiction more you will realise a lot of other authors had these ideas before him or at the same time, people like Isaac Asimov etc.

maninasia wrote: »
    I think if you read science fiction more you will realise a lot of other authors had these ideas before him or at the same time, people like Isaac Asimov etc.

But is'nt that the point,nobody here has claimed that he invented the concepts,merely that he was by far the most sucessfull at getting the message across in an imaginative way and captured the public imagination like no other.it's sort of well an non arguement!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

TBH I think the real honours must go to the likes of HG Wells (one of the fathers of the genre of SF) and then to people like AC Clarke and Asimov.
    I don't know the numbers but I would think people who would have become involved in the sciences and technologies of space, would have been inspired more by the likes of these people than by a TV show.

Roddenberry, as far as I know, never really went into detail (you can't on TV) about the technologys and physics used in star trek, whereas Clark, Asimov.. etc would explain such things in detail and write based on solid physics.

Also Roddenberry was a "late" arrival on the scene as many of the technologies and ideas he used, had already been used elsewhere. (a visionary is someone who sees it before someone else).

PS. I can personally still read works by the great SF writers, whereas (although I enjoyed it when younger) watching ST now (old or new) would be quite tedious. ;)

watching ST now (old or new) would be quite tedious. ;)

Heh you know thats the strange thing apart from the first 50 episodes of the original i can't stand it either!:D
    Just i enjoyed that it worked on two levels on the surface a rip roaring yarn,but an undertone of spirituality with dollops of the finest scientific thinking thrown in sometimes in almost a sublimenal way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

It was a real genre breaker for it's time, that's true and it did take guts to put up Russians and African Americans in the control room and a loopy Scot in the engine room, the Captain was probably the dodgiest of them all to be fair though.
    Some of the new ST series I couldn't stand, had a lot of moralising in it and Whoopy Goldberg..couldn't stand her role.

Advertisement