Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun racks and displays

Options
  • 08-10-2010 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,475 ✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking of getting a new display setup for my guns but I'm looking for some ideas, what kind of displays do people here have?

I was thinking of some slatwall with those chrome hooks but wonder if the hooks would be suitable over the long term. Would the hooks indent wood stocks or mark a blued finish over time?

(The guns are all antiques and the room is secure with keypad entry and a steel reinforced door. The modern stuff is kept separately.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

Slat board is fancy chip board, not very durable. Also the metal hooks will mark wood. Definitely not the solution you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I own only 2 firearms, but I do have a sizeable collection of RIF's

I was thinking of slatwall or even pegboard, would like to convert my back spare room in my house to display my collection of airsoft guns but have yet to get around to doing so. I always fancied a rotary gun rack! I bought a Lazy susan bearing, and had a guy in Fas workshop cut me up some mahogany wood and I managed to make one.

Unfortunatly for me it all went wrong since I had zero woodworking or powertool experiance. I had intended
    to have a pistol storage area, another tier, footprints where
    the stocks of the guns would fit into lined in felt and it lovely
    and polished but I never ended up finishing it off and also I made it too large so
    it would not fit through a door frame unless it was completely dis-assembled.

In reality for my collection of toy airsoft guns, my poor design could not cope with the different balances/weights and heights and resting points of the different guns, It would be suitable for
    rifles and shotguns etc though, unfortunatly I only have only 1 of each when it comes to real firearms.

th_IMG_0648.jpgth_IMG_0646.jpgth_IMG_0645.jpgth_IMG_0644.jpgth_IMG_0643.jpgth_IMG_0642.jpgth_IMG_0641.jpgth_IMG_0622.jpgth_IMG_0621.jpgth_IMG_0620.jpgth_IMG_0619.jpgth_IMG_0618.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,475 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Good idea bullets! I'm stuck with the same problem as you are: all my guns are different lengths and weights. I was also hoping for something that could display the bayonets alongside the guns without having them attached as they can stick/corrode over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

What you could also do is a twin vertical "wooden coat peg rack" affair.
    Which is basically 2 lengths of 2 by 4 going from floor to ceiling with 3/4in holes drilled at regular spaces,maybe 10ins apart,or whatever you feel comfortable with and the guns sit on well.You cane either glue the pegs into position or if you are really fancy get the holes and pegs threaded,so they can be moved around for custom lengths.Just make sure you have it WELL secured to the wall as this will carry a good bit of weight.
    As it is all wood the metal doesnt get damaged on the guns. You can get really fancy with this and build a "anti handling" device on as well,by simply taking another 2X4.Having it drilled out for the exact peg locations,and simply fitting it over the guns on the rack,and putting a simple padlock and hasp at the top or bottom of the rack.Any pro carpenter could do this in a few hours work.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 44 wicklowtown

bullets wrote: »
    I own only 2 firearms, but I do have a sizeable collection of RIF's

I was thinking of slatwall or even pegboard, would like to convert my back spare room in my house to display my collection of airsoft guns but have yet to get around to doing so. I always fancied a rotary gun rack! I bought a Lazy susan bearing, and had a guy in Fas workshop cut me up some mahogany wood and I managed to make one.

Unfortunatly for me it all went wrong since I had zero woodworking or powertool experiance. I had intended
    to have a pistol storage area, another tier, footprints where
    the stocks of the guns would fit into lined in felt and it lovely
    and polished but I never ended up finishing it off and also I made it too large so
    it would not fit through a door frame unless it was completely dis-assembled.

In reality for my collection of toy airsoft guns, my poor design could not cope with the different balances/weights and heights and resting points of the different guns, It would be suitable for
    rifles and shotguns etc though, unfortunatly I only have only 1 of each when it comes to real firearms.

th_IMG_0648.jpgth_IMG_0646.jpgth_IMG_0645.jpgth_IMG_0644.jpgth_IMG_0643.jpgth_IMG_0642.jpgth_IMG_0641.jpgth_IMG_0622.jpgth_IMG_0621.jpgth_IMG_0620.jpgth_IMG_0619.jpgth_IMG_0618.jpg

Hi can you tell me where you bought the lazy susan bearing? I have a lazy susan for my garden table ball the ball bearings in the bearing have rusted and it wont turn so i need to buy a new bearing but have no idea where to buy one! Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Hi can you tell me where you bought the lazy susan bearing? I have a lazy susan for my garden table ball the ball bearings in the bearing have rusted and it wont turn so i need to buy a new bearing but have no idea where to buy one! Thanks

The Mods might lock this thread as its 2 years old.
    Its been a while but as far as I can remember I bought the largest round
    one I could find online from Axminister in the UK.
    http://www.axminster.co.uk/triangle-lazy-susan-bearing-prod20991/

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 44 wicklowtown

bullets wrote: »
    The Mods might lock this thread as its 2 years old.
    Its been a while but as far as I can remember I bought the largest round
    one I could find online from Axminister in the UK.
    http://www.axminster.co.uk/triangle-lazy-susan-bearing-prod20991/

~B

That great ive ordered one from them, thanks a mill for your help your very good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭J.R.

Some examples here from the net.

If you're handy with your hands you may get a few ideas.

gun11.jpg

gun10.jpg

gun9.jpg

gun8.jpg

gun7.jpg

gun6.jpg

gun5.jpg

gun4.jpg

gun3.jpg

gun2.jpg

gun12.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

While the thread is old it is of some use so it can remain open. However please bear in mind that gun racks are well and good in countries that do not have Secure Accommodation SI's to adhere to.

In other words making one is fine, but all firearms must be stored in a gun safe, and/or disassembled.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

What about having your guns "out" on a display rack but in a secure room.

Just wondering as I have always thought that having a secure room similar to those in a RFD would be very handy to have in a house. That way there would be no need to store away your firearms after each use. You could just bring them in, place them on their stand/vice for cleaning, clean and then lock the door behind you on the way out?

Would a set up like this be possible in a house?

• Advertisement

If it passed an inspection by the CPO then yes. If not - no.

Very simplistic answer, but really the most accurate.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Farmlife

something like this? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

patsat wrote: »

Just wondering as I have always thought that having a secure room similar to those in a RFD would be very handy to have in a house. That way there would be no need to store away your firearms after each use. You could just bring them in, place them on their stand/vice for cleaning, clean and then lock the door behind you on the way out?

Probably be an awful cost to get it up to security needs for just the few guns most people own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

garv123 wrote: »

Probably be an awful cost to get it up to security needs for just the few guns most people own.

Wel if similar to gun rooms the only extra cost would be the big door, if building your own house and planning and having an office or "man cave" for your own space it would be worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Wel if similar to gun rooms the only extra cost would be the big door, if building your own house and planning and having an office or "man cave" for your own space it would be worth it!

Is't there reinforced walls and all that craic too for an actual "gun room"

Only a guess here, but if you choose the gun room, rather than a safe within a locked/secured room, i'm guessing it would have to meet the same criteria as a gun dealers vault. Reinforced walls, and all.

Something to consider for the new house builders among us. For the rest a "dream".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

;) Our local boat club had to install a steel door to stop engines being stolen. It cost 2000 euro about 4 years ago.
    There is a long tradition going back to Georgian times of having a gun room in a house but alas we don't all live in big Georgian houses.
    If you get a chance do the tour of Bantry house in Cork which has an impressive gun room just off the front hall. The door must be about 4" thick !

Advertisement