Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new laptop, wont connect automatically win 7

Options
  • 08-10-2010 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

finally got a connection on,new laptop, but it doesnt connect automatically each time i turn the laptop on. instead i have to disconnect then reconnect, and i get logged onto a different connection i.e. home 2.

i have no idea about these things, so any help would be very much appreciated.

im using windows 7, with a net gear router, im also not so sue that the connection is password protected as it said it was a public connection:confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Can you start at the beginning and tell us exactly what you have done so far?

It really is impossible to sort out your problem with the details you have given us.

What you need to do ideally is to set up a password protected new network on the netgear with a name that you will be able to recognise. The laptop should then find it and when you attempt to join the network request the password that you have just set.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭measurement

Just in the meantime, if you click the link in Windows 7 for your available connections (mine is on bottom right of screen), then if wireless connections appear with a yellow ! in a traingle, they are visible to all (how are the neighbours doing on security? :D), and you need to go to the router site (mine is 192.168.2.1 because its a Belkin) and under Security, select WEP or WPA (I prefer WPA-PSK) and give it a password. BUT remember to write the password somewhere, this is not going to be the last time you need it;). That should keep you safer until someone else can walk you through the main steps.
    Sorry, my reply above is about wireless connections.
    Today, my own ethernet connection fell over, saying it is a public connection, and I don't know what to do with it, so I've connected the ethernet cable direct to the router until I figure it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

thanks for the replies.

i figured out that the connection is a shared connection.as i can only connect on my new laptop if my old laptop is turned on and connected to the net.

so i must of set it up wrong, can someone please take me through the steps that i need to take to sort this issue out , and let me know what info you need in order to help me, as i said earlier im clueless at this sort of thing.

all help would be very much appreciated

As more or less stated above the best thing to do would be to set up a new wireless network for yourself. Connect your laptop to the netgear with an ethernet cable.

The access the router settings by using http://192.168.1.1 (sometimes it can be 0.1) you may be asked for a user name and password - these are usually admin and admin or admin and password.

Then access the wireless settings - usually there are various options on the left of the page.

Change the name of the network to something you will recognise - choose wpa or wpa2 as your security settings. Set a good password - save your settings and exit.

Now unless something strange has been done to your laptops wireless settings it should 'see' your new network. Click on it to join and it should ask you for the password you have just set.

Leave your old laptop off during this - also if you have not got an ethernet cable you could use the old laptop to do the above but then take it out of the equation.

i completed all of the above steps, and initiall the new laptop was able to access the net through the new connection.

however after a restart, it failed to connect to the net.the trouble shooting said that, the DNS server isnt responding - contact your network administrator....

my old laptop had an initial issue connecting but after a internet explorer diagnoses it was able to connect, the errors and warnings from the diagnoses report are:

"HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity warn HTTP: Error 12007 connecting to [url]www.microsoft.com:[/url] The server name or address could not be resolved warn HTTPS: Error 12007 connecting to [url]www.microsoft.com:[/url] The server name or address could not be resolved warn FTP (Passive): Error 12007 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved warn HTTP: Error 12007 connecting to [url]www.hotmail.com:[/url] The server name or address could not be resolved warn HTTPS: Error 12007 connecting to [url]www.passport.net:[/url] The server name or address could not be resolved warn FTP (Active): Error 12007 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The server name or address could not be resolved error Could not make an HTTP connection. error Could not make an HTTPS connection. error Could not make an FTP connection

it looks to me like some sort of win 7 issue, my old laptop which is able to connect is running xp.can anybody help or should i try contacting sony, or else try and return the bloody laptop:mad:

as always any help at all would be very much appreciated

• Advertisement

There is almost certainly nothing wrong with your laptop.

this appears to be a software issue google for error 12007 and you will see that unfortunately it is quite common and there does not appear to be a simple solution for the problem.

Have you tried firefox? Did anyone interfere with any of the settings on the netgear previously? (Just on the offchance!)

no ive no one else here that would go near the netgear and yes im using firefox.

after a lot of googling, it seems that this is an issue with the sony vaio, which i dont think they have solved yet.i read on a sony forum that there was a fix for the x32 machines, but some people were saying that it still didnt fix the issue properly.

thanks dub 45

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭measurement

Have you checked that the router is Windows 7 compatible?
    I found that mine wasn't, and I could only connect the windows 7 laptop by adding it to the network as an extra machine with the XP laptop as the main one, not by installing the router on it. It was more complicated when I tried to use the print server from the windows 7 laptop too. I got it working and can't remember how:o.
    I gave away the XP laptop to a nephew, and wouldn't like to have to repeat the installation. as it happens, the router has died anyway, so I've had to replace it, which is why I was glad to see that the Belkin 'Share' has an app for printer sharing via USB. I just hope it can cope with 64-bit windows 7, or I'm sunk. Delivery promised for wednesday after a hiccup with paypal not passing on the payment. Total cost €75.42 (£64.37) including delivery.

Have you checked that the router is Windows 7 compatible?
    I found that mine wasn't, and I could only connect the windows 7 laptop by adding it to the network as an extra machine with the XP laptop as the main one, not by installing the router on it. It was more complicated when I tried to use the print server from the windows 7 laptop too. I got it working and can't remember how:o.
    I gave away the XP laptop to a nephew, and wouldn't like to have to repeat the installation. as it happens, the router has died anyway, so I've had to replace it, which is why I was glad to see that the Belkin 'Share' has an app for printer sharing via USB. I just hope it can cope with 64-bit windows 7, or I'm sunk. Delivery promised for wednesday after a hiccup with paypal not passing on the payment. Total cost €75.42 (£64.37) including delivery.

This does not appear to be just a windows 7 issue as there are loads of xp users complaining of it too.

according to the sony forum, the issue may have something to do with the atheros wi-fi card. no fix as of yet though.this isnt good enough for a laptop thats not even a week old.if there isnt a fix by the end of the week, im gonna return have to return it :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement