Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Megane starting problems.

Options
  • 08-10-2010 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, maybe someone can help with some fault finding. A friend's Megane (2002, 1.4 petrol) won't start. I think the battery has good charge because the lights don't dim and the radio will work so I'm fairly sure it's not it. Also, I've had a charger on it and it'll only take about 3 amps of charge...

When I turn the key to the start position, nothing. No noises, no clicking, just the radio goes off for starting (if on).

Is it the starter? Or something else?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

could be the starter or it could be a bad connection on the battery or a bad connection on the starter

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭tony l

as above,
    could be an earthing problem or starter.

i no this is a silly question,
    but have you tryed to jump start it anyway...
    sometimes the battery will give no indication of problems.

hope this helps.

thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Hi guys, thanks both for your answers. Further googling (it's been quite the half hour...) revealed this http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=29563.

The poster suggests rocking the car back and forward whilst in 5th to unstick a solenoid - I tried this and it worked! Took car for a spin, all is well and it started again after I stopped.

Now, does this indicate anything needs to be replaced, or checked? Is a new solenoid or starter required?

if it was an old ford anglia or something of that vintage it might make a difference

kasper wrote: »
    if it was an old ford anglia or something of that vintage it might make a difference

What would make a difference ?

Back to OP, it seems your starter solenoid was sticky, if you don't fancy it yourself an auto spark can recondition it fairly cheaply. It will happen again otherwise I would think.

• Advertisement

a sticky solenoid doesnt get stuck on the ring gear of a flywheel of a modern car so rocking it in gear is not going to help .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Roverjames - looks like it's a pain in the neck to remove the starter motor, according to Haynes it's 4 spanners and requires a ramp, disconnecting steering linkages and suchlike. Might be easier to drop into a mechanic?

kasper, would there be any other reason that it worked?

it could be your starter but what you done could not have helped , check all the leads and make sure there is no corrosion on connections also try to start it with jump leads . if that doesnt help you are better off to bring it to an auto electrician ,he will be able to test the starter in situ and diagnose the problem ,it may be the ignition switch or something in between . best of luck

Advertisement