Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

knocked unconsciounsness by bottle of fizzy drink becasue she is black

• 08-10-2010 7:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭

I am living in an apartment block in west Dublin at the moment were there are several foreign nationals living also.

A halting site has been set up close by in the last few months sharing the same access road to the estate. Last week we had a residents meeting and to my horror many of the residents reported being verbally abused by the Travellers, and unfortunately this morning one of my neighbours (52 year old African lady who is a nurse) was hit by a bottle of fizzy drink and knocked unconsciousness which was thrown by one of the Travellers.

I am so saddened and ashamed about this. Aren't the Travellers always crying "race” discrimination, and yet from what we have seen since they have set up camp beside us is nonstop hatred, physical and verbal abuse to any of our residents that look foreign?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

People (all people) can be stupid and have short memories when it suits them.
    This is an example case in point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Are we surprised by this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

that's horrible :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

yes a lot of travellers are massive hypocrits. thats life though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Chinasea wrote: »
    A halting site has been set up close by in the last few months sharing the same access road to the estate.

Official halting site ?

complain to the council, or better still, video some of the random incidents, and email the files to mick collins in pavee point: info@pavee.ie

Unofficial halting site ?

get everyone in the residence association to hound the local guards day and night until they're moved on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Will Pavee Point address this? Not likely, it was lack of respect that forced them to such desperate measures...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

She was knocked unconsciousness? :)

Still, I hate travellers.

Will Pavee Point address this? Not likely, it was lack of respect that forced them to such desperate measures...

well, you could turn the situation around by bringing the matter to their attention, thus putting the onus on them to intervene. If, as they say, only a small minority of travellers cause these problems, then maybe they will know best how to resolve the issue.

ok it's pushing it a bit, but it's their responsibility to see that a few 'bad eggs' dont ruin it for travellers as a whole ;)

How can we know that she had the bottle thrown at her because she was black? . We know she is black. We known a bottle was thrown at her.

We do not know that one was the cause of the other.

It may just have been a completley random act of violence as these so often are with no apparent motivation other than acting the maggot.

• Advertisement

marcsignal wrote: »
    well, you could turn the situation around by bringing the matter to their attention, thus putting the onus on them to intervene. If, as they say, only a small minority of travellers cause these problems, then maybe they will know best how to resolve the issue.

ok it's pushing it a bit, but it's their responsibility to see that a few 'bad eggs' dont ruin it for travellers as a whole ;)

Right you be, but I have to say I think it's a worthless organisation with Mick Collins in charge, anytime I see him speak it's just to outright deny any fault on their part as a group or to try to see things from others pov.
    Surely there's better than him out there, I actually know there is but I suppose they wouldn't be arsed, they just get on with life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Chinasea, what did the Guards do? I presume it was reported?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

How can we know that she had the bottle thrown at her because she was black? .

It was Dr. Pepper.
    Everyone knows Dr. Pepper is a racist bastard

Right you be, but I have to say I think it's a worthless organisation with Mick Collins in charge, anytime I see him speak it's just to outright deny any fault on their part as a group or to try to see things from others pov.

exactly, so why not get him to put his money where his mouth is ??

life being one great 'ass covering exercise', i just think the op should log/or video everything to begin with. if he/she doesnt, then everything in the op is just hearsay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

All racism aside as it's been done already and I can do no more than agree with all the above posts but...
    unfortunately this morning one of my neighbours (52 year old African lady who is a nurse) was hit by a bottle of fizzy drink and knocked unconsciousness which was thrown by one of the Travellers.
    An approximately 100g plastic bottle knocked someone out unconscious? Were they firing them attached to RPGs or something?:P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

All racism aside as it's been done already and I can do no more than agree with all the above posts but...

An approximately 100g plastic bottle knocked someone out unconscious? Were they firing them attached to RPGs or something?:P
    I assume the bottle wasn't empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I assume the bottle wasn't empty.

it was probably flat, and they wanted her to put a head on it!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭dezzyd

it was probably flat, and they wanted her to put a head on it!.

I just spit my beer out at that!! Top marks! :D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Will Pavee Point address this? Not likely,

What have Pavee Point got to address about this? Who do you look to address issues when it is non-Travellers who commit mindless violence?

• Advertisement

What have Pavee Point got to address about this? Who do you look to address issues when it is non-Travellers who commit mindless violence?

The proper authorities, as they should also do so here. It's the fact that Pavee Point wax lyrical about travellers being a different race under all sorts of discrimination that it would seem like a good idea for them to tackle discrimination within their own group lest anyone might consider them to be hypocrites

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Dean09 wrote: »
    It was Dr. Pepper.
    Everyone knows Dr. Pepper is a racist bastard

Its Doctor Pepper now, It was Sturmbannführer Pepper back in the forties.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

The proper authorities, as they should also do so here. It's the fact that Pavee Point wax lyrical about travellers being a different race under all sorts of discrimination that it would seem like a good idea for them to tackle discrimination within their own group lest anyone might consider them to be hypocrites

A different race?! What a complete & utter load of cock. An ethnic group at a push, but certainly not a distinct race.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

From the OP: "many of the residents reported being verbally abused by the Travellers"

Now unless all the residents who are being abused are black then this whole "racist" claim is just pure bollox. I seriously hate sh1te like this, the only person who brought race into this is the OP, as far as I can tell the mindless idiots among the travellers, an idiots they are, were being non-discriminatory in who they targetted. But as soon as a black person is involved, all of a sudden it is assumed to be a racist attack.

If one bloke beats up another bloke in a fight, then its a run of the mill fight that happens all across the country. But if it turns out the loser was black then a certain mindset in this country jumps to the assumption that it was a racist attack. I'm sick of this mentality in Irish society that the colour of a person's skin is always the primary feature to focus on when something happens to them.

i think what SlasherMcGurk meant, with ref to 'race' is that mick collins always maintains, that the discrimination travellers suffer from is racism/racist on the part of the settled community.

marcsignal wrote: »
    i think what SlasherMcGurk meant, with ref to 'race' is that mick collins always maintains, that the discrimination travellers suffer from is racism/racist on the part of the settled community.

Yeah that's pretty much what I meant, I have a lot of issues with Pavee Point which probably got me sidetracked

And I do certainly agree that an attack isn't automatically racist just because there may be a minority involved, that sort of nonsense does no one any favours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

We have ABSOUTELY no doubt whatsoever that it was a racist attack. Not that I think it necessary to point out, but just in case it may enlighten; her sister who was with her heard the racist chants that accompanied the hurtling bottle.

How many more serious incidents/fatalities will it take before something might actually be done to TRY to stop these racial crimes??

We have ABSOUTELY no doubt whatsoever that it was a racist attack. Not that I think it necessary to point out, but just in case it may enlighten; her sister who was with her heard the racist chants that accompanied the hurtling bottle.

How many more serious incidents/fatalities will it take before something might actually be done to TRY to stop these racial crimes??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Don't be facetious.

It won't happen until they turn on Cork people. And by then it will be too late.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

Wow this is a real paradox for the libtards! I guess the only logical explanation is that the white man, by oppressing and abusing the travelers, is causing a spiral of indirect racial abuse towards innocent Africans. If that makes no sense then you are a racist!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

i'm sorry, but the weapon of choice is completely crackin me up :D

i'm sorry, but the weapon of choice is completely crackin me up :D

Careful. A 2ltr bottle is now a WMD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

If only we could ditch these undesirable's somewhere like a halting site hmmm away from us civilized folk hmmm maybe a giant halting site ship and be rid of them to the sea's !!

Pikies in my area causing ****ing havok gara check point outside there house because of some pikie war the family is having was a drive by attempt a while ago aparently.

Sick of these nack bag's its time someone house trains these people.

Lone Stone wrote: »
    If only we could ditch these undesirable's somewhere like a halting site hmmm away from us civilized folk hmmm maybe a giant halting site ship and be rid of them to the sea's !!

Yes, let's do something civilised like ship off undesirables in to the sea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Surely there's better than him out there, I actually know there is but I suppose they wouldn't be arsed, they just get on with life

I always thought Colin Farrell was the head of Pavee Point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Tbh I've had gangs of them chanting things at me for having he neck to walk past them. If it wasn't African ladies it would be someone else. The travelling community in Ireland are a complete mess, there is no easy solution to the issue. It will take generations at a minimum to reduce some of the internal damage that group is inflicting on itself. I wouldn't take it personally though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

I am living in an apartment block in west Dublin at the moment were there are several foreign nationals living also.

A halting site has been set up close by in the last few months sharing the same access road to the estate. Last week we had a residents meeting and to my horror many of the residents reported being verbally abused by the Travellers, and unfortunately this morning one of my neighbours (52 year old African lady who is a nurse) was hit by a bottle of fizzy drink and knocked unconsciousness which was thrown by one of the Travellers.

I am so saddened and ashamed about this. Aren't the Travellers always crying "race” discrimination, and yet from what we have seen since they have set up camp beside us is nonstop hatred, physical and verbal abuse to any of our residents that look foreign?

to your horror?? it is what they do for a living. there's a nest of them down the road from me and its awful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

From the OP: "many of the residents reported being verbally abused by the Travellers"

Now unless all the residents who are being abused are black then this whole "racist" claim is just pure bollox. I seriously hate sh1te like this, the only person who brought race into this is the OP, as far as I can tell the mindless idiots among the travellers, an idiots they are, were being non-discriminatory in who they targetted. But as soon as a black person is involved, all of a sudden it is assumed to be a racist attack.

If one bloke beats up another bloke in a fight, then its a run of the mill fight that happens all across the country. But if it turns out the loser was black then a certain mindset in this country jumps to the assumption that it was a racist attack.
    Agreed. A high-profile example I can think of is the Cheryl Cole assault of the bathroom attendant. How is it such a certainty that she wouldn't have attacked her if she was white?
    There was a case of a mixed-race woman in Cork being assaulted really badly a few years ago too and she claimed it was racially motivated. It was a horrible case, but from the details of the story, it seems like the lowlives who attacked her would have gone for anyone who was in that place at that time, irrespective of colour.
    Orange69 wrote: »
    Wow this is a real paradox for the libtards!
    It's a conundrum for bigoted, knee-jerk, closed-minded fuk-wits too - who to condemn: travellers or blacks?

Advertisement