Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

VRT Changed last week

• 08-10-2010 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Hi All

I went into the revenue in Galway this week to have my conversion inspected and changed over from commercial to camper. When I arrived I was informed that the system changed last week. I was given a form to fill out to send to Roslare along with photos of the side (1 only?), the front, the inside, the height with tape.

Form asks for Km's on clock, reg and invoices for work done. I asked the guy in the Revenue what about if I have no invoices and he told me just to put down that I did the work myself.

No warning. Mad. It seems the weight 3 ton is gone as there is no mention of a weight docket.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

CRAP

We were in the process of turning our 1995 rust bucket camper into a 2005 low mile shiny new pin. I guess I'll be calling BOC about that bottle of argoshield now.

Just spoke to the inlaws whose friends in tralee thought that they also had escaped without charge last week. However their report was the same as kenn sprinter except that the vro lady took the pictures.

I imagine some of those that thought they got away scott free will be receiving a nice bill from rosslare in the coming months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 152 ✭✭cipro 55

Hi All

I went into the revenue in Galway this week to have my conversion inspected and changed over from commercial to camper. When I arrived I was informed that the system changed last week. I was given a form to fill out to send to Roslare along with photos of the side (1 only?), the front, the inside, the height with tape.

Form asks for Km's on clock, reg and invoices for work done. I asked the guy in the Revenue what about if I have no invoices and he told me just to put down that I did the work myself.

No warning. Mad. It seems the weight 3 ton is gone as there is no mention of a weight docket.

How did you get on with the registration. Was it the nct you were with. Did you have to get it weighed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

I just sent on the form for reclassifying the van. Sent on the log book, form and 29 pictures - hopefully that'll sort it out!

Anybody know how long it takes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭WildWater

Is this just in relation to conversions? What I mean is can you still bring in a UK/German factory build for €50 VRT until Jan 1st or has that also changed already?

If you cant then how can the dealers be still offering pre-VRT increase deals on campers not yet registered but registered before the new year?

:confused:

• Advertisement

WildWater wrote: »
    Is this just in relation to conversions? What I mean is can you still bring in a UK/German factory build for €50 VRT until Jan 1st or has that also changed already?

If you cant then how can the dealers be still offering pre-VRT increase deals on campers not yet registered but registered before the new year?

:confused:

Theoretically yes, I'd factor having to pay 13.3% into my budget incase they sit on your application until january though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Kenn sprinter

cipro 55 wrote: »
    How did you get on with the registration. Was it the nct you were with. Did you have to get it weighed.

There was no point in sending in a weight docket as I knew it was under the 3. Sent in the form plus a picture of the side, front, inside (including sink and hob) and a photo of a tape measuring 1.8m floor to roof.

The valuer in Rosslare wanted to value the van at 6,500 for a 12 year old sprinter with half a million kms and all the work don by myself. Crazy.

A very sound fella down there understood the value was wrong and we had it halfed (still too much though) VRT 400 quid. Feck it one off payment and it's done

There was no point in sending in a weight docket as I knew it was under the 3. Sent in the form plus a picture of the side, front, inside (including sink and hob) and a photo of a tape measuring 1.8m floor to roof.

The valuer in Rosslare wanted to value the van at 6,500 for a 12 year old sprinter with half a million kms and all the work don by myself. Crazy.

A very sound fella down there understood the value was wrong and we had it halfed (still too much though) VRT 400 quid. Feck it one off payment and it's done

That sounds like robbery! Just to confirm it was an irish van originally?

stevire wrote: »
    I just sent on the form for reclassifying the van. Sent on the log book, form and 29 pictures - hopefully that'll sort it out!

Anybody know how long it takes?

Got a reply from the CVO on how long it generally takes:
    Processing the paperwork for the reclassification of a van to a motor home can take up to seven working days. This is provided that all relevant information has been supplied and extra information does not have to be requested as this can then delay the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 boardsiebob

stevire, 400 euro is cheap to get reclassified as camper.
    I brought up 01 renault master LWB highroof with minimal conversion.
    And when I say minimal I mean minimal:
    I had old sink and camping cooker build it into a unit with curtain. Shoved it into the back of the van, clamped it with glue clamps to side.
    Drove up to county council and woman inspected the van, she kept asking how the sink unit was attached!;)
    Later i got in the post i had to pay over €1600 as they valued the 'camper' at €12k:mad: I went through the appeal process and got it in the end reduced to about €600 for the vrt. My reasoning in the appeal was that in case there is no equivalent camper in the market they should base the OSMP on van value (~€3000) + value of conversion (~€100).
    Moral of the story is to first do a mockup conversion, get it reclassified and then do a real conversion.:D

• Advertisement

Well you were dead right bob, got the letter today. OMSP is €5k?? For a 94 Mercedes 310D with 353km on the clock? Works out as €615 to get it reregistered, not paying that so gonna ring tomorrow and see what my options are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I've gone and paid the VRT on my van, and cleared it as a straight van. Worst case scenario, I can puter around in it as a van for a while if they want stupid money after re-classifying it as a camper.

I've gone and paid the VRT on my van, and cleared it as a straight van. Worst case scenario, I can puter around in it as a van for a while if they want stupid money after re-classifying it as a camper.

Yeah that's a better option than bringing it in as a camper on english plates! Currently going down the 3 tonne route at the mo, my van is a re-inforced ex-ambulance so it should be over the 3 tonne.

From what I see in other forums and wikipedia 3-series vans have a gross weight of 3.2-3.5 tonne. So with the reinforced panels and camper bits im hoping it makes the cut!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Baluka

Hi Everyone...Just looking for a bit of advice on the new rules. I have just completed my conversion of a lwb Mercedes Sprinter and need to get it changed over to a camper. I have the pictures etc required to send in, but how do they prove the weight of the vehicle now as I would say mine is just over 3 tonnes? Do I have to get it weighed myself.

If this is the case any ideas of weigh stations near Dublin or Carlow. Any help would be much appreciated! Many Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Baluka wrote: »
    Hi Everyone...Just looking for a bit of advice on the new rules. I have just completed my conversion of a lwb Mercedes Sprinter and need to get it changed over to a camper. I have the pictures etc required to send in, but how do they prove the weight of the vehicle now as I would say mine is just over 3 tonnes? Do I have to get it weighed myself.

If this is the case any ideas of weigh stations near Dublin or Carlow. Any help would be much appreciated! Many Thanks

You'll need to find your local Vehicle registrations office, they will do the measurements etc and arrange with you to get it weighed. It's likely that they will need to witness the weighing.That how it worked for me.
    As for the weigh stations, pick up a golden pages and most quarries have weighing facilities. In my case the VRO people arranged to meet me at a grain suppliers who preformed the weigh in.

stapeler wrote: »
    You'll need to find your local Vehicle registrations office, they will do the measurements etc and arrange with you to get it weighed. It's likely that they will need to witness the weighing.That how it worked for me.
    As for the weigh stations, pick up a golden pages and most quarries have weighing facilities. In my case the VRO people arranged to meet me at a grain suppliers who preformed the weigh in.

Saw it mentioned recently, someone tried to make an arrangement for an inspection but was told the only way to do it now is to fill in the form and send it to the CVO in Rosslare. I guess they are just preparing for next year when the new VRT comes in there'll be no need to head to the VRO anymore as weight class will come irrelevant when calculating the VRT

Advertisement