Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom In New House

• 08-10-2010 8:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27

My family has recently moved house (while I was working abroad), and when I arrived back I found out they had ordered Eircom. Apparently we can't get UPC, or most other providers out here (Kilpeddar, Wicklow).

After setting it up yesterday, I checked out the bundle we're on and found out that they have a 30gb limit (3mb package). Having left my computer on for a couple of hours prior to this, Steam had already downloaded 7gigs. Clearly there's no way that this is a feasible limit.

I know that years ago they never enforced the limit (I think I had a 20gb limit nearly 4 years ago with them), but I've heard that recently they have been. Can anyone confirm this?

I rang customer support today and tried to get them to upgrade the cap, but to no avail. I literally said to them that "I want to give you more money, I just would like the cap increased to something reasonable". They just kept saying that it's 30gb or 50gb for the 7meg line. I told them that I wouldn't upgrade to 7mb with such a small increase in the cap, as I'd just hit it faster. Has anyone successfully been able to get them to increase the cap?

Also, checking my speeds on CSS, etc., I've found I get a ping of 100+ on any server. This is clearly unacceptable. I've also found that every so often, the DNS servers seem to die. I'm going to change over to OpenDNS to solve this though. Here are my line stats:
    Speed: 3072 kbps /384 kbps
    Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 39 dB /20 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 21 dB /17 dB

I've checked a few other providers in the area, and it seems that I may be able to get the Magnet Swift package (7mb I believe). On their site, however, I can't seem to find any solid details on caps. Does anyone know what they are?

Honestly, if Eircom are going to be uncooperative, I'm just going to cancel my contract. I'm presuming we're going to be subject to the cancellation fee though. I know there's some 10day law regarding cancellations when products are bought over the internet, but is there anything similar for orders over the phone? No bills have been paid yet, and we've only had the service a day.

If anyone's able to answer some of these questions, or perhaps recommend a better provider in the Newtownmtkennedy/Kilpeddar area of Wicklow, I'd be quite grateful.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Well if you're unwilling to accept the terms of any provider's service then you should probably cancel it now before it's too late.

Different ADSL broadband providers have different contract conditions so do your research first and then order broadband that you can live with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27 Vile

bhickey wrote: »
    Well if you're unwilling to accept the terms of any provider's service then you should probably cancel it now before it's too late.

Different ADSL broadband providers have different contract conditions so do your research first and then order broadband that you can live with.

Aye, I know that. Unfortunately I wasn't the one researching (as I wasn't even in the country), and Eircom told my mother that we would be upgraded to NGB with no cap "very soon". Turns out "very soon" is next year at the earliest.

I'm pretty certain that I'll cancel it on Monday morning, but I'd like to know if there are any better alternatives. UPC came to the house, but unfortunately it appears that due to trees, we can't go with them. I'd like to know more about Magnet's cap. I've sent Rory a PM for this information though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

NGB has a cap. In fact, NGB is the one they enforce the caps on, and charge for going over it. The old packages never had charges for going over.

7 days is the cooling off period for distance selling, from the date the product was first received. After that there will be a fee. The account must be cancelled by the account holder too, not you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27 Vile

jor el wrote: »
    NGB has a cap. In fact, NGB is the one they enforce the caps on, and charge for going over it. The old packages never had charges for going over.

7 days is the cooling off period for distance selling, from the date the product was first received. After that there will be a fee. The account must be cancelled by the account holder too, not you.

Ah, indeed there is a 7 day cooling off period. Thanks for that :)

Advertisement