Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classical Studies for Leaving Cert?

• 08-10-2010 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hey, I'm currently in 5th year doing 7 higher level subjects, but I'm thinking of dropping to pass Maths and Irish and I'm thinking of picking up Classics to make up for the points I will be missing out on.

Is it to late to start the course?

Can I do it even if I'm not doing History(I did enjoy it at Junior Cert, it was a tough decision to not pick it up for LC)

How much learning is involved, I'm already doing two learning based subjects, Biology and Geography, will the workload be to much?

If anyone else has done it, what was the course like? Is it easy to get marks? How hard is it to get an A1?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Yeah my mate does it outside of school, seems okay. My advice is just do exam papers and worship marking schemes, if your gonna start, start now. I'm doing pass maths and irish so i took up music, it's worth taking just make sure that by learning an extra subject your others don't suffer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭readystudypass

When looking at the past papers, be aware that from 2011 you will only have to do 6 questions instead of 8 >>> http://www.education.ie/servlet/blobservlet/cl0055_2009.pdf?language=EN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Cyzrane

I did, and really enjoyed, Classical Studies last year for the L.C. and I'd be willing to give you my two cents on it.

First, you seem like you might be correlating History with Classics. The two are like apples and oranges, really. I suppose that Junior Cert History touches on Classical Civilisation, but Classical Studies is a much, much broader curriculum than that. But, I can definitely say that you don't need to have done any particular subject before doing Classics at Leaving Cert level to perform well.

Before you go any further, I'd make sure to get a teacher, or somebody familiar with the course, to help guide you through it. I can certainly advise you in greater detail, if you wish. But, if you seriously consider taking on the course, I would advise setting up a class/grind of some kind with somebody who knows the material. You really don't want to make a mistake with the way the exam is laid out, questions you're answering, or any of that sorta stuff.

Irrespective of all that, though, I can say one thing with absolute conviction: Classics is not an easy workload at all. It is an immensely enjoyable subject, and was probably my favourite, but it requires a lot of reading on subjects ranging from architecture to literature. Nor is it an easy subject to get an A in (if there is indeed any subject that is an "easy A"...but that's beside the point). If you look at the statistics from last year, they show it was a subject that was marked harshly (and often is).

This all sounds very negative, and that's unfortunate really because I think Classics is a really worthwhile subject. At the end of the day, though, if you're strictly just looking to "points farm", it's probably better to look elsewhere.

That's just my opinion, anyway. Any other former Classics students out there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

Classics would be very difficult to get an A1 in considering you have approx. 257 days until the exam, but a B would be very feasible if you put in the work. If you're going to do it, start as soon as possible and like fewtinsoffroth advised do plenty of exam paper practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 bootsx

Hey,
    I'm in 6th year and do classics. it is a really interesting subject but not easy at all to get an A1 in. the majority of people get B's.

Depending on what topics you do the course can be ridiculously long. we did roman historians instead of Alexander the great and it's very tough going.
    I would advise, if your only choosing classics for the points and not for the interest in the subject, to pick up something like music or even geo because classics is very time consuming and as i said very difficult to do extremely well in.

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement