Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adoption through Cunamh Agency

Options
  • 08-10-2010 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

HI all Im trying to find my brother born 29th October 1972 to my mother birth surname o meara. Adoption was organised through Cunamh while my mother stayed in meath, she gave birth to my brother in holles st hospital in dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kathy finn

hi annieo, have u been incontact with cunamh, it could take a while to get an appointment with a sw so i would contact them asap. you could also put ur name on the adoption register. does ur mother want contact also, take a look at the tracing guides here and good luck......kathy

• Registered Users Posts: 14 annieo

hi kathy,
    Thanks for that information, yes my mother does want contact but due to illness is unable to proceed herself. I have contacted Cunamh over a year ago but heard nothing back, will put my name on register.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kathy finn

hi annieo, did cunamh tell you how long u will have to wait, i was waiting over 2 years to get an appointment, ring them again and ask. in the mean time you could start your own search, you never know you could find him easy enough.good luck....kathy

Hi, no have know idea of time to wait, will ring them again. That would be great if i had some luck myself, not sure what else to do though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

Hey,

I was adopted out through Cunamh and recently went through them getting in contact with my birth mother. I cant believe you're waiting a year to see them :confused:. maybe you need to press a little harder? Although I know that they were reduced in staff due to cut backs, this could be the reason.

It should be as simple as registering (even over the phone) and they'll let you know relatively quickly if your brother has also registered, taking the process from there.

Keep applying pressure anyway,

best of luck

• Advertisement

Hi there
    Thanks for your reply, i will ring them and see if that is more useful, how long were you waiting from initial call to meeting your birth mother?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 freeicetea

I waited about a month for my initial appointment, then I got all the backround information that was in my file. I was then told they had lost staff and I had to wait for a social worker to be assigned to my case. My wait was a year and a half. I expected it though so it was ok.

im so nervous incase its a bad outcome i just cant pick up the phone, keep thinking if he wanted to find us he would have by now.

Update: social worker has made contact, awaiting a letter, can't believe it. So excited and hopeful.

Had a meet up and all have remained in contact. A lot to take in but glad to have found him. So surreal. Hopeful for the future.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

That's great news annieo.:)

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement