Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network Switch?

• 08-10-2010 9:02pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭

I have two separate Internet connections, I have a 3MB line from Eircom and another 24MB connection, I primarily use the 24 meg connection mainly. However I also want to use the 3MB connection more and find having the two of them to be a pain in the neck having to disconnect and switch over cables each time.

Is is possible to get a RJ45 switch that I can manually flick (like those HDMI and scart switchers) besides having to disconnect the lead and swapover modems each time?

Something like this I had in mind except I'd prefer to get in somewhere in Ireland and reliable, besides waiting three weeks for fleabay postage from China. Somewhere like Komplett etc. ?

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

you'll need a wan router with two wan interfaces.
    from the web based interface,then you can setup routing policy,bandwidth management rules and so on...

or

get two wireless routers or APs,cheapy crappy and just 'soft switch' the wireless connex between WiFi ssid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

or get any old PC or laptop with multiple NIC's and put pfsense on it.

if you didn't want to use another physical PC you could install pfsense in a VM and just add the extra NIC's to your main PC and map them in vmware to the pfsense vm.

you can download a vmware appliance from the pfsense website and have the whole thing up and running in a few minutes as long as you have the NIC's, but they can be picked up very cheaply as usb dongles (wired or wireless, but wired would be better) for next to nothing, like THIS which seems to be linux compatible.

personally, i'd go for pci ethernet adapters, but that's just me. :)

Advertisement