Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom started to charge for excess usage on its NGB!

• 08-10-2010 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi! Just be aware that now Eircom started to charge for the excess usage NGB! Will cancell it and switch to other.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Other what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

Cool story bro.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 urartu99

...other broadband provider.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

other dsl provider ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

urartu99 wrote: »
    ...other broadband provider.

Like who? If its other dsl through Your phone line, well then it'll just be resold eircom

• Advertisement

NTL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Hi! Just be aware that now Eircom started to charge for the excess usage NGB! Will cancell it and switch to other.
    The word being "excess".
    Why shouldn't they? Or are you just another pleb who thinks that your entitled to unlimited use of the net without paying the relevant fees?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

NTL

You mean Upc, if You can get Upc why are You still with Eircom :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    The word being "excess".
    Why shouldn't they? Or are you just another pleb who thinks that your entitled to unlimited use of the net without paying the relevant fees?

UPC allows 250GB per rolling 30 days Eircoms data usage limits are very low.

The word being "excess".

I am just one that thinks it is a miracle that with all its practices Eircom not a bankrupt yet... 30Gb download allowance is a joke

• Advertisement

They will be soon at the rate they are losing customers to UPC. Charging for excess usage is the equivalent to blowing your leg off at the knee rather than simply shooting yourself in the foot.

It would not be surprising if they did it deliberately to bring the inevitable technical bankruptcy and restructuring forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭twinsen

I had a broadband with them too. I was paying 50 Euro for 3 MB broadband with 30 GB limit and phone line that I have never used.Once they charged me 4 Euro more for exceeding limit called them up, cancelled broadband. Now i am with UPC , I have 8 MB broadband with 120 gig limit for half of eircom price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

This issue was signalled and flagged up a while ago.

http://irelandoffline.org/2010/03/eircom-and-next-generation-broadband/

In urban areas it seems now that UPC is the only way to go, while not perfect its a hell of a lot better than eircoms offering

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

This is really really old news.

You signed up to eircom services saying they'd charge you and now when they do your upset?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭padraig_f

The word being "excess".

"excess"!

They offer a 3Mbps package for 40 quid a month. With 3Mbps (which isn't particularly high-speed), you're capable of downloading 32GB a day, or about 1000GB a month.

And yet their cap is 30GB/month, which is 3% of the capable throughput.

It's like providing someone a slow water service, charging them 40 quid a month for it and saying if you use it more than 3% of the time, we're going to charge you extra.

Ridiculous cap sizes, they're still living in the dial-up era.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,258 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

bealtine wrote: »
    This issue was signalled and flagged up a while ago.

http://irelandoffline.org/2010/03/eircom-and-next-generation-broadband/

In urban areas it seems now that UPC is the only way to go, while not perfect its a hell of a lot better than eircoms offering

That link is from March and it says the price is €75.36. The price now is €61.73 with a 250 GB cap per month.

http://www.eircom.net/broadband/products/bundles/ngb/17/#fragment-3

That link is from March and it says the price is €75.36.

It also says "This is hardly a giant leap forward it’s more like a gigantic leap into the dark past and into your wallet." Care to disagree with that when MOST people are on 1mbit or 3mbit packages right now...many of whom have no jobs and no capacity to deal with price shocks ??

Next generation price gouging is coming to Lucan Kilcock Longford Sligo Westport Roscommon Limerick Cork Wexford Arklow and Donegal Town by christmas. Watch those :pac:wallets:pac: lads.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    It also says "This is hardly a giant leap forward it’s more like a gigantic leap into the dark past and into your wallet." Care to disagree with that when MOST people are on 1mbit or 3mbit packages right now...many of whom have no jobs and no capacity to deal with price shocks ??

Next generation price gouging is coming to Lucan Kilcock Longford Sligo Westport Roscommon Limerick Cork Wexford Arklow and Donegal Town by christmas. Watch those :pac:wallets:pac: lads.

NGB is coming to Dundalk sometime soon as well. In the dark past I was paying more for 512/128 K than I am now for 7 Meg and progressively over the years I have got more for less. They never charged me for going over the various caps but with the 250 GB cap it will give me certainty. I know it's not cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭TheJesusWarrant

Is NGB optional when it's available in your area? I never stop downloading, ever. Says it all about Eircom that I'm looking to remain on last generation broadband.

A lot of people are not sure including me. You can see a copy of the NGB letter in post #34 in this thread. This is the one for NGB Advanced, there are other versions for the cheaper packages. I suppose the best thing to do would be to ring them.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055935913&page=3

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

padraig_f wrote: »
    "excess"!

They offer a 3Mbps package for 40 quid a month. With 3Mbps (which isn't particularly high-speed), you're capable of downloading 32GB a day, or about 1000GB a month.

And yet their cap is 30GB/month, which is 3% of the capable throughput

Its still counted as excess usage if you go over the cap,
    If you don;t like the package then don't sign up for it, there are plenty of other options which give much higher caps then what Eircom offers
    Ridiculous cap sizes, they're still living in the dial-up era.

Maybe so but if people continue to sign up to such packages and then bitch and moan when they get charged for going over a cap THEY agreed to then I can have no pity for them.

People need to ensure that they pick a package with an ISP which is suitable to their needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Cabaal wrote: »

People need to ensure that they pick a package with an ISP which is suitable to their needs.

Agreed.

However when ISPs go to great lengths to hide these limits behind "unlimited" marketing campaigns it can be difficult for the average consumer to understand why they are being charged for overages on what is essentially an "unlimited" package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Problem with this is that many people may not realise that, say, 30gb a month wouldn't be enough for them. Would be quite easy to pass that mark with your average family just using streaming video etc. Some people only think of actual files downloaded to their hard disk when looking at caps and fail to realise how much bandwidth is used in normal day to day usage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,393 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Maybe so but if people continue to sign up to such packages and then bitch and moan when they get charged for going over a cap THEY agreed to then I can have no pity for them.

I think people are more bitching and moaning that the cap has never been enforced and suddenly after years of being a loyal customer and spending 1000s of euro, they will be penalised.

It's a bit harsh to pull the T&Cs and say well you signed up for it, tough. Where in reality alot of people signed up for eircom because they either had little choice at the time and had the piece of mind that unofficially at least they would not be charged for exceeding the cap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,837 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Is this definite? I recently signed up to the 8mb NGB pack on a good deal and I've only the 10gb per month allowance package, I can get that up to 30gb for an extra fiver but would prefer not to as I don't think I'd use that much, but maybe would use a little over 10gb the odd time, but then again, don't want to have to end up paying more than €5.

The annoying thing too is that if one month I go over, I can't just pay €5 to get the 30gb and then go back down to the 10gb, or else I've to pay a downgrade fee :(

So how likely is it I'll be charged for going over the 10gb and do they only charge once it goes past a certain figure? Say they might let you off for the first 10gb up to 20gb but if you go over they will charge you.

I don't mind paying the extra fiver if I get to use it, but would prefer not to be tied into having to pay that every month or else face a downgrade fee, when it may just be one or two months I need anything over 10gb :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Pics or GTFO!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭twinsen

iRock wrote: »
    Pics or GTFO!
    Pics of what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,837 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Looks like I've been charged :( €19 for 12gb over!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

cormie wrote: »
    Looks like I've been charged :( €19 for 12gb over!:eek:

****ing bastards!! are you on the 30 gig limit package?

does anyone know how to change your eircom package? its like 65€ for the "unlimited" download cap.

i just noticed today that the 8m upgrade has happened and im worried about getting done for going over the cap. 30 gig is a ****ing joke..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Redisle wrote: »
    Problem with this is that many people may not realise that, say, 30gb a month wouldn't be enough for them. Would be quite easy to pass that mark with your average family just using streaming video etc. Some people only think of actual files downloaded to their hard disk when looking at caps and fail to realise how much bandwidth is used in normal day to day usage.

True but that's the peoples fault, not the ISP's.

You buy a car and drive down the road at 120 MPH and get stopped by the Gardai.
    You think that you can say, well I didn't know that the speedometer on the car indicated speed.
    I thought that was a noise indicater.

Why people think that consumer ignorance is the suppliers fault when it comes to technology is beyond me.

While hidden and changing caps can be blamed.
    The average customer not knowing what they're signing up for is their own fault, and no excuse IMO.

Advertisement