Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Astronaut suing Dido

Options
  • 08-10-2010 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭

Just came across This.

Quote: Bruce McCandless II claims the image of him during a spacewalk in 1984 has been misappropriated on the cover of 2008's 'Safe Trip Home' and has filed a lawsuit. Sony Music and Getty Images are also named as defendants.
    McCandless cannot claim copyright infringement as he does not own the rights to the photograph, but instead he believes that his ‘person' was used without permission.
    The astronaut has licensed his persona to advertising and media campaigns before, and therefore claims the use of his image without permission has devalued his value

Seems a bit much, I was wondering what people here think of it, and the status of all those pictures from Alan Shepard to the crew of the ISS.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Here's the album cover:
    safe_trip_home.jpeg?w=300&h=300

Tbh it's a load of crap. It could be any astronaut in that pic or a pic photoshopped. True it's an iconic photo but there's been many pics of astronauts or launch vehicles used on album cover imagery over the years.

There's no way of saying who is in the suit so i don't see the point. It could be me in there!:pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Surely if anyone owns the rights then it's NASA.

Either that or whichever of the forces he was probably a member of at the time who would have owned him and everything he did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

lord lucan wrote: »
    It could be me in there!:pac:

Oh you wish. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭whynotdo

NASA 'doctor' pictures,they freely admit it.
    but he was the only Astronaut to leave the Shuttle untethered unless he has being telling lies all this time.
    He was recorded as a Satellite of Earth officially by the people who decide these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Oh you wish. ;)

I can dream!:)

• Advertisement

whynotdo wrote: »
    but he was the only Astronaut to leave the Shuttle untethered unless he has being telling lies all this time.
    He was recorded as a Satellite of Earth officially by the people who decide these things.

"You learn something new every day" .
    Thanks for that.
    Pop star sued by ex-satellite.

Pop star sued by ex-satellite.
    :D:D:D

Hey its America and American attorneys, Have You not heard about the case were an X-box is suing Bill Gates:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

If he had been given a nudge he could have become an asteroid. He certainly is no good for BSkyB... his signals are confused:D

:D:D:D

Hey its America and American attorneys, Have You not heard about the case were an X-box is suing Bill Gates:confused:

I thank f*ck my computer isn't American 'cause of all the swearing I do to it, it could clean me out for "verbal abuse" if it wanted. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I thank f*ck my computer isn't American 'cause of all the swearing I do to it, it could clean me out for "verbal abuse" if it wanted. :D

ROFL and mine would get me for physical abuse. I have a remarkably accurate kick.:D

• Advertisement

Rubecula wrote: »
    If he had been given a nudge he could have become an asteroid. He certainly is no good for BSkyB... his signals are confused:D

Yes He seems to be doing some Forward Error Correction,bit late though,May,be his pension was in Fanny May?(or ANGLO:eek:)

lord lucan wrote: »
    I can dream!:)

Your light is back on,go and friggin Dream(and stop stealing My lines:p)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Seems stupid to me. A great image, no mistake but it in no way "devalued his value" He was the first and only one of six people to fly free of the Shuttle using the MMU {Manned Maneuvering Unit} during 3 flights in 1984, He even helped develop it. You would think that would keep him happy:rolleyes:
    By the way he was also the Capcom during the Apollo 11 Moon walk;)

By the way he was also the Capcom during the Apollo 11 Moon walk;)

Fine example of how to educate there Beeker!
    unlike bitchslapping which is unbecoming to a fine forum.

Advertisement