Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there anything you would like to say to your parents?

Options
  • 08-10-2010 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭

Im going to assume that most folks reading this forum are parents.
    Im just curious as to what people would like to say to their parents today about anything regarding the way they were brought up..relative to the way you are bringing up your children.
    Do you do something different with your kids, simply because you wished your parents did likewise with you?

In my case i find myself purposly giving lots of time to my kids in their games and play. I get down on my hands and knees and try to get on their level and play their games. For example tonight i was playing the role of the fat controller and giving out to Thomas for "causing confusion and delay"!!...it was simple play acting...but I just felt it was important cause I have no memories of either of my parents playing with me like that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

I suppose that the parents before 'us' fought for and sacrificed their freedom so that we as parents now have more time to play with our own kids in a fun way. times were much tougher for 'our parents' but they made sacrifices as parents to make it better.

I would say... thanks to them personally, mostly. Being a parent is the toughest job in the world. At the same time it is the most rewarding. I love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I'd say thanks too. Mine did the best they could with the resources they had and they worked damned hard. I find myself "parenting" like they did in some respects (minus the really hard work:o). My childhood memories are happy ones :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Yes some I have said some are better left unsaid. I was raised well, with a broken family there were issues, I think fair play to my dad for picking up everything and learning to look after us overnight. Thanks to him for working so hard to keep us in a nice house and give us all we wanted.

I do things differently, I hug my kids all the time, tell them I love them constantly. Previously being a single mother I see my first childs father as friends and family rather than ex, my hubbie behaves the same, no arguing or bickering, united front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

Thank you Mammy and Daddy - you raised me well, even through the difficult teenage angst years.

I still have a pathological fear of wooden spoons.....;););)

Love you both! xxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

Voltex wrote: »
    Do you do something different with your kids, simply because you wished your parents did likewise with you?

Good heavens, every day!

My favourite gripe about my parents is that they thought it would be a good idea to get a girl from my class in school to babysit me (a male) and my two younger sisters.

How idiotic is that? "We have full confidence in you son, now Annie here(a pseudonym to protect all involved :-) ), your classmate will be looking after you and the girls tonight!

I won't be making that mistake!

What's frustrating though, is that my parents will never admit to any wrongdoing whatsoever and it just makes the grievance worse, so I've learned to keep these things to myself.

A lesson there to me for my kids - I don't think we should be afraid to admit when we get things wrong. Kids have a right to be pi$$ed off when me mess up. We have a right to mess up too though, we're not perfect, but we have an obligation to try and get it right, I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

I'd ask them for a hug:D

There was very little, if any affection shown in my family - I suffered with low self esteem for donkeys years because I never felt loved or lovable.:(

But they were of a different generation with a huge family, and it was more about putting the food on the table than hugging your kids in those days.

Really good question btw, OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Fittle wrote: »
    I'd ask them for a hug:D

There was very little, if any affection shown in my family - I suffered with low self esteem for donkeys years because I never felt loved or lovable.:(

But they were of a different generation with a huge family, and it was more about putting the food on the table than hugging your kids in those days.

Really good question btw, OP.

"Ah there was no such thing as love in them days" (Real quote from older woman in a radio interview when asked if she loved her husband:D).

My family were similar. I remember being asked in school if I loved my parents and I said no because I had not got a clue what it meant :confused:(age circa 4-5). I got kept back and got quite a grilling off the teacher about my home life :o

When I mentioned "resources" above I meant emotional as well as financial resources. Some of that generation just got on with things and their love was an implicit unspoken one.... touchy feely hugginess was completely alien and awkward (still is). I didn't know the difference so I don't think it had any negative impact on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I think like most 30 something Irish people, I'd have liked to be shown more affection. Yes we felt loved but hugs and physical closeness wasn't a big part of family life.

Above all else I'd like to ask them
    why they didn't believe in us more but I now realise that was to do with their own self esteem and how young they were.

Now that I'm about to be a parent I can see that you might not always get it right but for the most part they did their absolute best and sacrificed so much for us so really I'd have to say thank you to them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

I'd like to thank them. I have big shoes to fill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

I'd like to tell them that I think they were brilliant. They came from nothing, really nothing, and worked their behinds off to put us all through school and college, to give us music lessons, to send us on trips with the school and so on. Our clothes were generally second hand and the house was basic, but we were fed good food, read bedtime stories and tickled til we cried. They were affectionate, loving, strict when necessary, forgiving of us turning into absolute witches when we were teens, and the best parents I could possibly have wished for. I hope to be half as good a parent to my wee boy.

Unfortunately I never put all that into words when I had the chance and both my parents passed away when young. I mean, they knew I loved them but not how much I appreciated them. If you think your parents are great and they are still alive, tell them soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Sadly didnt have the greatest upbringing. So all I can say is thanks for teaching me how not to rear my son!

But as a result of my family situation I am independent and confident enough in myself to do what I have to to give my son a good life! S0 there is a silver lining to every cloud, no matter how grey :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I have no memory of ever being hugged by my parents and I don't recall any of my siblings being hugged and we were never praised when we had some success, in fact my mother would have to put the boot in with a negative comment.

As an adult I now realise that my mother is a typical narcissistic mother and she played one off against the other and made my dad's life hell. She tried to turn all of us against him. Even when he was dying she was cruel to him. God love him I hope he finally found peace when he died.

I actively parent in a completely different way to my parents. My children are hugged and told how much they're loved most days. They're having a happy loving childhood and know how important they are to their dad and myself.

Interesting reading peoples' thoughts. I find it surprising that so many people feel there was little or no affection shown to them by their parents.

For me, it was completely the opposite. There was tons of affection but lack of the actions to back it up. I would have preferred being taken to the zoo than a thousand hugs!

You need both in the right proportions I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Jumbo156

I'd like to tell them that If I do half as good a job with my 2 as they did with their 2 I will be a very happy.

di11on wrote: »
    Interesting reading peoples' thoughts. I find it surprising that so many people feel there was little or no affection shown to them by their parents.

For me, it was completely the opposite. There was tons of affection but lack of the actions to back it up. I would have preferred being taken to the zoo than a thousand hugs!

You need both in the right proportions I guess.

You sure do.

I went to the zoo for the first time when I was 19...:eek:
    So there was no affection AND no zoo.....:(

I'm reading alot lately, about instilling confidence and security in your children....bottom line? It's the hugs and affection that do it. You can talk as much as you want, bring them to the zoo, buy them all the best games, but you have to show them that they are loved...and they'll translate that to being lovable...and they'll go on to be confident adults, with perfect relationships and won't have to come NEAR boards for advice in their future;):rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

You sure do.

I went to the zoo for the first time when I was 19...:eek:
    So there was no affection AND no zoo.....:(

I'm reading alot lately, about instilling confidence and security in your children....bottom line? It's the hugs and affection that do it. You can talk as much as you want, bring them to the zoo, buy them all the best games, but you have to show them that they are loved...and they'll translate that to being lovable...and they'll go on to be confident adults, with perfect relationships and won't have to come NEAR boards for advice in their future;):rolleyes:

It's not either or. It's both and.

It's not either or. It's both and.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

My dad died last year, i know he was proud of me and he told me that he was sorry for how he treated us as kids. It meant a lot. Unfortunately his parents weren't that kind to him and never apologised or even admitted that they treated him wrong (which they did, they were evil).

My mother and I have a great relationship and I phone her every day to say hello (she lives in the uk).

So no i have nothing to say to my parents as its already been said, actions speak louder than words. Im taking her to Egypt in may for her 60th birthday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Ma: Don't ever wear those Scholl shoes and duffel coat to a school sports day again when I'm trying to look indie.

Otherwise I love you.

... actions speak louder than words....

Too right, words are cheap and can't make up for actions, or lack of them.

• Advertisement

Love is something that has to be shown and said. I tell my son (19mths) I love him and give him hugs and kisses, as well as ruffle his hair every day. I got none of the above. Its all I ever wanted. And its free! The best thing a child can ever get off their parent, and it doesn't cost a single penny

If you had that, then you had more than a lot of the richest people in the world. Sorry if that is too mushy!

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Love is something that has to be shown and said. I tell my son (19mths) I love him and give him hugs and kisses, as well as ruffle his hair every day. I got none of the above. Its all I ever wanted. And its free! The best thing a child can ever get off their parent, and it doesn't cost a single penny

If you had that, then you had more than a lot of the richest people in the world. Sorry if that is too mushy!

My dad didn't know how to show he loved us, he could say it alright. The reason is that his parents never loved him, his mother is still alive and never went to his funeral, she couldn't care lass. I hate his parents they were/are evil . They never loved us grand-kids either. Dad was bad with us as kids, but he made up for it when we were adults. My mother is my rock.

After saying that I do find it hard to tell my mom i love her and only reply 'and you too' when they said they loved me. I don't ever recall telling my dad i loved him, I wish i had of done but it was too hard, i wasn't there when he died but he knew i called only a little while before he had a massive bleed and died (in ICU), I know he knew i loved him even though i didn't say it. He knew i cared, something his parents never did.

My kids and my husband are my life, i know i go overboard sometimes but i only get to live once, might as well spoil them occasionally. I do tell them i love them all the time.

I so get what you're saying grindewald.

My son is my life, and I don't care who knows it. I've never felt a love like it from the day he was born - that day in the rotunda was, and always will be, the best day of my life - I am still sometimes overwhelmed by my love for him.

I know I 'excused' my folks earlier (who are both long deceased btw) by saying they were of a different generation...but I never got how my mother didn't feel the same about me. Or felt the same, but didn't show it. I'm only speaking from the mums experience here btw, because that's all I know:)

Anyway, maybe I should be saying 'Mum, I forgive you for not knowing the damage you did by never showing that you loved me....'. I think forgiveness sets us all free:)

I should also be saying 'Come on Ireland!!!':D

Anyway, maybe I should be saying 'Mum, I forgive you for not knowing the damage you did by never showing that you loved me....'. I think forgiveness sets us all free:)

':D

Very true, but i cant forgive my grandparents as they never said sorry or even admitted they were cruel to my dad when he was a child and used and abused him as an adult. They never showed remorse, I really do hate them. The funny thing is if his mother admitted it in the morning i would forgive her, but she wont, it never happened none of it. :mad:

I haven't spoken to her in nearly 7 years it was around that time that i became aware of what happened to my dad and he suffered mental health issues as a result of their maltreatment of him, he also abused drugs as a teen and young adult and became an alcoholic (which is typical of abused children) but also meant we as his kids paid the price.

'Nan, I forgive you for not knowing the damage you did by never showing that you loved my dad' i wish i could say it but i cant, because she doesn't care, even now.

I really hope you progress and get past the hurt and pain that my dad never did, it drove him insane, i really feel sorry for him that he had such horrible parents all he even wanted was to be wanted and loved and for his parents to be proud of him. I hope they rot in hell.

Take care fittle and love your kids the way you wanted to be loved, by the sounds of it you are. :)

I know the feeling grindlewald, my mother has been pushed out of my life due to her own actions for over 2 years. In that time she has not met my son nor has she asked to meet him, for a while I was angry, but now I am nothing. I really feel nothing.

I was upset at myself for a while because I realised if she died tomorrow I could not care. Not I would not, I could not. I don't feel as though I am missing out on a relationship with her. I wish I had a mum figure to talk to, but I have never had one so no point grousing!

She is like her mum, which is funny because she hated her mum, but they are one and the same, and my gran died alone in a hospital because of the way she treated her kids!

My other nan is a dote. She has 14 children, and at last count 71 grandchildren and about 18 great grandchildren! When she heard I was pregnant at 21 and in college, she turned around to me and said, "my god, your getting in the practical side of your degree first!" (I am doing nursing to be a midwife!) My cousin got pregnant in her teens to a foreign man, when the baby was born, it was mix raced but no one knew how to tell my nan, she tore into my aunt for not telling her because..........she have bought an outfit that would have suited the little girls skin tone better! This is a 90yo woman from the country! Pity out of the 14 she had I got the only dud of a child for a parent!

Im not the only one, thanks for sharing. Loads of people had it tough as kids/adults, thankfully I had a great mom.

I think with me its the fact that my dad died and she knew he was dying and that she didnt give a **** and eats me up.

Its been a year so im still raw , but after she is dead and gone (should be sometime soon) I hope then I will feel nothing.

wolfpawnat, best of luck,

Very true, but i cant forgive my grandparents as they never said sorry or even admitted they were cruel to my dad when he was a child and used and abused him as an adult. They never showed remorse, I really do hate them. The funny thing is if his mother admitted it in the morning i would forgive her, but she wont, it never happened none of it. :mad:

I haven't spoken to her in nearly 7 years it was around that time that i became aware of what happened to my dad and he suffered mental health issues as a result of their maltreatment of him, he also abused drugs as a teen and young adult and became an alcoholic (which is typical of abused children) but also meant we as his kids paid the price.

'Nan, I forgive you for not knowing the damage you did by never showing that you loved my dad' i wish i could say it but i cant, because she doesn't care, even now.

I really hope you progress and get past the hurt and pain that my dad never did, it drove him insane, i really feel sorry for him that he had such horrible parents all he even wanted was to be wanted and loved and for his parents to be proud of him. I hope they rot in hell.

Take care fittle and love your kids the way you wanted to be loved, by the sounds of it you are. :)

See my mam never 'repented' either. She died when I was early twenties. For years I hated her for what she'd 'done' to me (actually, it was more a case of what she hadn't done). And what do you think happened?

I got depressed.
    I got stressed.
    I got alopecia.
    I got ezcema.

And there she was, lying peacefully...at rest. And I was suffering tremendously because I was using so much of my energy up in 'hating' her.

Of course, in hindsight, I didn't hate her at all. I hated that she coudln't love me - I hated that she wasn't the mother to me that she should, or could have been. But then I dug deeper. And I saw the horrendous life she herself had.

And at about 29, I thought, f*ck this. And the only way for me to move on from the pain, was to forgive her and to try to understand why she was who she was. I used to say the words 'I forgive you mam' in my mind over and over again. But then the day came when I connected emotionally with those words, and really meant them, and my skin became clear and my hair grew back:D

It sounds like american clap-trap (as my mother herself would have said!), but it worked for me. And it's whatever works for you that helps you move on...sorry, more mush:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I think my parents did their best ...my mum would do anything for us... she is not very huggy and kissy and never was... i thing thats just a something to do with her generation. I kiss and hug my children a lot.

When my oldest daughter was in college she sent me a card out of the blue and it said how much she loved me and appreciated all i had done for her i was so touched...when my youngest daughter saw the card she said i love you too then she went to the shop and got me a bar of chocolate!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Voltex

Im taking heart in the fact so many boardies have positive comments about their upbringing.
    I dont know how many times myself and my wife have discussed our childhood expieriences both good and bad and came to the same conculsion; that we're far happier that it all happened to us rather than our boys.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Sometimes the evidence of love is not obvious. My father was old school Irish. No I love yous. No hugs and kisses.

But he got up with me in the mornings when I had to go to school. He had a hot cup of tea ready for me and some toast and he would chat to me and make sure I left on time. This to me was love. It was loved because he cared and he knew how lonely I found school mornings and because he cared enough to make sure I did not miss school. It was also discipline, which he had showed me is a part of love, is doing things you just dont damn well feel like.

My mother and I have always had a troubled friendship. Last year I fell asleep on her couch in the afternoon, and as I was drifting off,she put a blanket over me. I felt this was the most loving thing she has done in many many years.

There is a poem I love because it reminds me to look at the little things. That is all some people can do to express affection and love.

Those Winter Sundays

Sundays too my father got up early
    And put his clothes on in the blueback cold,
    then with cracked hands that ached
    from labor in the weekday weather made
    banked fires blaze. No one ever thanked him.

I'd wake and hear the cold splintering, breaking.
    When the rooms were warm, he'd call,
    and slowly I would rise and dress,
    fearing the chronic angers of that house,

Speaking indifferently to him,
    who had driven out the cold
    and polished my good shoes as well.
    What did I know, what did I know
    of love's austere and lonely offices?

Robert Hayden

Advertisement