Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EVE Online

Options
  • 09-10-2010 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭

Just started playing this today with a Trial Account, almost certain I will be sticking with it :)

Any other boardsies play this?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

join the irish channel in game anyone that can be fecked to still log on will be there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Can't believe I missed that, thanks CG!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Irish is always dead I find. :(

Yeah I'd rather add some Irish contacts instead :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Nevore wrote: »
    Irish is always dead I find. :(

Space is vast and mostly empty (It's a great big universe And we're all really puny We're just tiny little specks About the size of Mickey Rooney.), so it fits.

Varik wrote: »
    Space is vast and mostly empty (It's a great big universe And we're all really puny We're just tiny little specks About the size of Mickey Rooney.), so it fits.
    Lol, true. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Very interesting and unique game, though I find it hard to play at times as it can often feel like work rather than an enjoyable game.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,313 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

After a week or so of the trial I wasn't very thrilled with the variety the game offered and it felt like you'd just be doing the same few things all the time. The other big push factor was that as much as I like space, space is boring. The environments don't feel very rich or engaging. I imagine it'd be much more fun if you were to be adopted by a Guild and join up with their fleet or whatever, but still.

I felt that way the first time I played.

I decided at the start of the summer to give it another go and was lucky enough that someone suggested the Uni to me.

The... second night, I think, that I was in the Uni, my alliance window started flashing and I saw "ewar, x up". So I did.

Cue a three hour fleet into 0.0 space, that saw me getting on a few kill mails, feeling genuinely scared when we got hot dropped at a gatecamp, feel pure adrenaline as we chased down a pirate fleet (and got disco'd but hey ho) and so on and so forth.

I was surprised as hell tbh, but it's kept me coming back all summer. :)

Then again, I used to like WoW. Give me six months and I'll probably have nothing good to say. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Eve is a sandbox game, so it's essentially the player's responsibility to decide what kind of gameplay that want to choose. This makes it far too easy to fall into mining/missioning which are two of the most excruiciatingly boring ways anyone can spend their time.

As Nevore mentioned above, its worth taking the time to join Eve University. This gives you your first taste of fleet combat and can be a lot of fun. They also run classes for all sorts of subjects, more details here.

The only problem with Eve Uni is that when they get wardecced you have to sit inside the station until either the war is over or a fleet picks you up. This can take days. Maybe when Incarna is released you can relieve your own boredom somewhat.

Funglegunk wrote: »
    The only problem with Eve Uni is that when they get wardecced you have to sit inside the station until either the war is over or a fleet picks you up. This can take days. Maybe when Incarna is released you can relieve your own boredom somewhat.
    Not actually true, though it's a common misconception even in the Uni.
    Uni SOP wrote:
    • Travelling (moving alone between systems) must either be done in a Shuttle, Rookie Ship or Tackler frigate, and you must ensure there are no war-targets in local at each system you enter, ensuring you dock immediately if there are.
    • If moving in any other ships, you must be travel fit until you reach your destination. This means all low-slots are filled with Warp Core Stabilizers and the mid-slots are filled with an appropriate shield buffer tank. Your normal PvP fittings can be carried in the hold, and if at all possible someone should be moving ahead of you in a small, fast ship, checking the next system is clear of war-targets.
    Missioning etc are all still banned, but at least you can still haul ass back to HQ to be able to take part in the pvp fleets.

Wait a sec, I'm still new, so what's missioning?

Missions are given out by NPC agents. These agents are found on stations.

http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Mission

This is image is obligatory. Not because its humourous, but because its true.
    There are people who play this game for years and are still not familiar with all concepts of the game.
    eve-learning-curve.jpg

Another small piece of advice. This is a 'Social' game, You cant really achieve much by yourself, especially when compard with other MMO's. Get out there, join a corp, make firends and piss people off.

And finally, EvE essentially has no rules. Treat every one as a potential backstabber, the game almost encourages it. There are many stories of players being "good", then suddenly robbing their corp of all assets and running off. Even last month a player managed to scam 850,000,000,000 isk ($45,000).

Wait a sec, I'm still new, so what's missioning?
    Missioning is essentially the EVE equivalent to questing in WoW etc. Talk to a guy, guy tells you to do something (kill, courier, get me x of y), go back to guy, get reward. Sometimes depending on the mission you can skip the going back though which is helpful.
    It's boring as hell.

Oh, and the cartoon is bang on. I still don't have half a clue. Usually just point myself at whatever poor bastard the Fleet Commander has called primary on and open fire :)

• Registered Users Posts: 83,313 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Nevore wrote: »
    I felt that way the first time I played.

I decided at the start of the summer to give it another go and was lucky enough that someone suggested the Uni to me.

The... second night, I think, that I was in the Uni, my alliance window started flashing and I saw "ewar, x up". So I did.

Cue a three hour fleet into 0.0 space, that saw me getting on a few kill mails, feeling genuinely scared when we got hot dropped at a gatecamp, feel pure adrenaline as we chased down a pirate fleet (and got disco'd but hey ho) and so on and so forth.

I was surprised as hell tbh, but it's kept me coming back all summer. :)

Then again, I used to like WoW. Give me six months and I'll probably have nothing good to say. :D
    95% of this post flew right over my head

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

My user name is same in game. Part of AHARM corporation. Happy to help anyone new to the game.

Overheal wrote: »
    95% of this post flew right over my head
    It was basically an example of how " I imagine it'd be much more fun if you were to be adopted by a Guild and join up with their fleet or whatever, but still" is true.
    EVE can't really be solo'd, especially by a new player. The absolute most fun to be had, is in fleets with other players.

Advertisement