Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recover deleted partition

Options
  • 09-10-2010 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm sure I'm not the only one who has accidently deleted the partition off an external drive when reinstalling Windows :(
    Has anyone had any success in retrieving data from these partitions? There's some s/w on the 'net which claims to recover data - has anyone had any luck with any of them?

Thanks. Now for a strong drink :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I've used R-Studio and GetDataBack before and I think both will scan the raw disk, not minding if the partition table is missing/damaged. Good luck !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

yep R-Studio is good but not afaik free?

Try also PartedMagic, its a free linux boot disc full of really useful tools, without booting it up to test I seem to remember Photorec is the tool you need on the disc. Dont forget you'll need another HDD to do the recovery to or all your efforts might be in vain.

btw ingnore the name of the program it recovers most known files types not just photos

Just google it http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec it comes preinstalled ready to use on the PartedMagic distro which I normally download from www.majorgeeks.com or its home at http://partedmagic.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭justforgroups

Hi,
    I know this is 3 years later but just to let you know that r-studio did the trick :-) It is my new God :-) Saved me from losing years of material.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Advertisement