Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slovakia v Ireland - 12th October - K/O 19:30

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

Škrtel is suspended and Stoch, who went of injured against Armenia could be out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

If we're still top of the group after this, no real complaints.

Stuff needs to change. Green and Whelan out. I'd consider starting Long in Doyle's place too.

Is Duff definitely out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

tolosenc wrote: »
    If we're still top of the group after this, no real complaints.

Stuff needs to change. Green and Whelan out. I'd consider starting Long in Doyle's place too.

Is Duff definitely out?

WTF? why? Doyle is one of our best players.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Johner wrote: »

Wouldn't drop Doyle in particular, but I can understand why he wants to see Long included. The lack of pace in the team is bloody painful. Just McGeady, really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

If you are going to drop a player for lack of pace it has to be Keane. Looked off the pace all game. No point putting Long on the wings, it is a waste of his ability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

There needs to be changes, which i can't see happening, if its the same team to start as did tonight i'd take any type of draw right now. Not looking forward to this now after the disaster tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm not sure Green should be dropped for this one. While I think he is a major liability, the fact is he is in the squad and Slovakia will be looking to Marek Hamsik to cause problems in the centre. Gibson could come in to replace him but he is unlikely to be good enough to do a defensive job. It's not his game really. An option would be to put O'Shea in the centre to do that role and bring Cunningham in at left-back, but that seems highly unlikely, though it might be better than Green and Gibson playing. Never thought I'd say this but Andrews would be useful for this game.

I watched Slovakia against Armenia on Setanta and it was encouraging. The really great news is that they are without Robert Vittek who scored 4 goals in the World Cup and was their best player. He's the guy that got 2 against Italy. He would have been a handful and they looked like they missed him against Armenia. They were quite sloppy in possession and looked vulnerable on the break.

I would be more optimistic about this game than the one against Russia. They will be hurt by the Armenia defeat so should be quite good on the ball. Better than us. We will need to be far better defensively than against Russia and will probably need a Richard Dunne or Shay Given MOTM performance to get something. I worry about them controlling the game and passing the ball freely. Hopefully we press better than we did on Friday. I'm not overly impressed with their keeper Mucha. He looks dodgy when dealing with crosses and made an error for the second Armenia goal so he might be lacking confidence going into this game. A few good balls into the box and we might get some joy.

My feeling is it will be a draw but I think we can come close to taking all the points, but it will require Green and Whelan to be solid in their roles and for our strikers to take their chances. Still, fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

Was at the game tonight great atmosphere but a bad performance, As usual we start very positive and then turn to muck quite quickly, the Armenia result Has cheered me up and tonight isint too bad, If we can lift ourselfs for Tuesday get a result a draw would do then we can focus on getting6 points from the Macedonia double. Goal difference could come into it so good that Armenia won 3-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

It's ridiculous that Hoolahan is not in the squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

A win would be fantastic, last night would be forgotten about. A draw would keep us ticking over. 2 defeats on the bounce though would mean big trouble.

I'm just waiting for the news report over next few days where "unchanged team" will be announced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

A win would be fantastic, last night would be forgotten about. A draw would keep us ticking over. 2 defeats on the bounce though would mean big trouble.

I'm just waiting for the news report over next few days where "unchanged team" will be announced.

It's true a win in the next game would be great but only the shortsighted would forget about last night. The manner of the defeat was appalling we don't need two defeats in a row to see we've already got "big trouble".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

We are set up not to concede goals, play it tight, and win a game just. If we concede early, our team really can't shift into another gear. I expect an unchanged team, although maybe somebody will get dropped in defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

PHB wrote: »
    I expect an unchanged team, although maybe somebody will get dropped in defence.
    Kilbane, in the mind of any sane individual.

I am dreading the "unchanged team" announcement, was it Doyle and Whelan had little knocks in the game so he might be forced into a couple changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Haven't seen Slovakia since their game against Holland but I'm fairly confident they have enough to beat that Ireland team that showed up last night even without Vittek and Skrtel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

Aidric wrote: »

I would be shocked if Kilbane was dropped. I doubt he will even change it at all. It was the same during world cup qualifiers when some games we played rubbish, like when we drew 0-0 with Montenegro. Trap doesnt like change.
    Could you see him making changes at centre midfield, left back and winger? I cant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

I, like many posters, want Kilbane out of that line-up ASAP..... but..... who is Trap going to put in there?
    Okay, if it was me I would have Ward in the squad and if it was me he would have been previously capped so it wouldn't be an issue to put him in an away Euro qualifier, but that's not the scenario we're in.
    We're in a position where it's either Cunningham in for a straight swap, or throw O'Shea LB and start Coleman RB. Is it realistic that Trap will take either of these options??!!! I don't think so....

Re: Paul Green, I wouldn't be too upset if he was told to head back to Derbyshire. Okay, I can't question his effort, but he isn't international standard, particularly for a team aspiring for automatic Euro qualification. There are many debates regarding Gibson with particular focus on a poor passing game, but it's no worse than Greens. And, Gibson offers a prominent threat from outside the box. Putting him in for Green is a no brainer for me.

If Trap gave me a ring and asked me to pick the team for Tuesday, I'd go for

1.Given
    2.Coleman
    3.JOS
    4.St Ledger
    5.Dunne
    6.Whelan
    7.Lawrence
    8.Gibson
    9.Doyle
    10.Keane
    11.McGeady

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭enda_4

Aidric wrote: »

I think the whole country would love to see that but knowing Trap he'll stick in McShane! Where would that leave us!

Given
    JOS
    Dunne
    St Ledger
    Foley
    Fahey
    Gibson
    Whelan
    McGeady (although I'd prefer him on the right)
    Doyle
    Long

The sickening thing is I'd easily have Ward, Wilson, McCarthy and Reid in that team and they aren't even in the squad
    Coleman would also be a breath of fresh air but he's too attack minded for Trap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Johner wrote: »

He had an off game. It's usually get the ball to Doyle, he'll hold it up and get it to Robbie. When he came up, and it was Keane's ball to hold up, we looked more of a threat. We need to shake things up. Trap can't continue to pick players because of their names.

If I was picking the squad, I'd have:

Given

Cunningham
    Dunne
    St. Ledger
    Coleman

McGeady
    O'Shea (bare with me a minute here)
    Gibson (Fahey on bench)
    Lawrence (Hunt on bench)

Keane
    Long (Doyle on bench)

I reckon O'Shea in a Paul McGrath style of position might work well. With Whelan in poor form, I think its worth a shot. Gibson > Green, by miles. Long deserves a shot. Maybe a Doyle-Long combo, or is dropping Robbie sacrilege?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

I dont think any sane person could stick with the team which was on the field for the first 70 mins of the Russian game. Although, I have revised my opinion on McGeady's performance having watched highlights of the game, read the newspapers and spoke to others. I admit that I was hasty in chastising McGeady. I wouldnt change my opinion on the rest of the team. The likes of Whelan and Green were so incompatable and incapable of stamping authority on the game that there is no reason for them to return to the team.

I would hope that the likes of Gibson, Fahey, Long, and Foley would start the game. Problem is, I think Trapp will stick with the guts of the line-up from last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

If Trap picks the same team Il be sick, whether we win or get a good draw it would be a disgrace that he picked the same midfield after that shambles.
    He gave me the impression in interview after that he would change the midfield, will it be Gibson in for Whelan or Fahey??
    Either we if he picks the same side, its the last straw and I want him out. If he doesnt try Coleman and Mcarthy etc in friendly v Norway then hes just not doing his job, why play a team you know already in a meaningless friendly and not experiment with other players???:confused: which he has done before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I'd never drop Robbie, Given, Dunne, O shea or Doyle unless their form was absolutely dire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Bill: Well lads, a disappointing result tonight. We were 2-0 down but came back with a spirited performance and were unlucky for that blatant non-offside.

Eamo: Trapattoni should be shot.

Liam: Ahh come on Eamon, ya can't be saying them kind of things.

Eamo: Shut up you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

bonerm wrote: »
    Haven't seen Slovakia since their game against Holland but I'm fairly confident they have enough to beat that Ireland team that showed up last night even without Vittek and Skrtel.

They looked very very disinterested in the second half against Armenia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

Speaking as someone who has watched Hamsik all season, I can safely say he is in the form of his life at the moment. Has played out of his skin for Napoli every match so far. The Slovakia team however look pretty far from being worldbeaters though a midfield pairing of anyone plus Green will make them look an awful lot better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Trilla wrote: »
    I'd never drop Robbie, Given, Dunne, O shea or Doyle unless their form was absolutely dire.
    Keane due to his lack of playing time or whatever is in shocking form. Last night his diving was disgraceful. Given really lacked match practice but he shouldn't be dropped. Dunne and O' Shea are grand as is Doyle. You can't drop Doyle after 1 medioce display. Keane will never be dropped, but I think he should be and I think Given should be captain. Again, it'll never happen.

If there are no changes for Tuesday we are screwed, basically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

I'd like to see Keane move clubs in January. Redknapp clearly doesn't like him, but any player who gets 15 or so league goals a season when he plays most games deserves to start games. He looked a bit rusty or something yesterday and we need him playing well to get a win on Tuesday. Fahey deserves a start too IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Cant believe some of the muck im reading here. People are actually saying they would drop Doyle? Kevin Doyle?

The stuff that man does on the field for the team is priceless, and whoever said they would drop him if they were picking the team need to open their eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Trilla wrote: »

Robbie Keane cant even dive properly at the moment. To say that he is beyond the drop as things stand is ludicrous.

• Advertisement

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Keane due to his lack of playing time or whatever is in shocking form. Last night his diving was disgraceful. Given really lacked match practice but he shouldn't be dropped. Dunne and O' Shea are grand as is Doyle. You can't drop Doyle after 1 medioce display. Keane will never be dropped, but I think he should be and I think Given should be captain. Again, it'll never happen.

If there are no changes for Tuesday we are screwed, basically.

I'm not so sure. Although there can be little or no argument that the right team won on friday, I believe if we had played 90 minutes as we finished and started we would have got a result.

I dont know much about slovakia but from what I saw of them at the world cup I dont believe they are anything to be afraid of.

I'd like to see Keane move clubs in January. Redknapp clearly doesn't like him, but any player who gets 15 or so league goals a season when he plays most games deserves to start games. He looked a bit rusty or something yesterday and we need him playing well to get a win on Tuesday. Fahey deserves a start too IMO.

Robbie Keane needs a good kick in the bollix (metaphorically speaking of course)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,210 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

I'd like to see Gibson starting on Tuesday and if we put in the same kind of performance like we did in the last 20 minutes against the Russians I think we have a great chance of winning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

I don't get this fascination with Gibson at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

orourkeda wrote: »
    Robbie Keane cant even dive properly at the moment. To say that he is beyond the drop as things stand is ludicrous.
    2 goals in his last 3 competitive games for Ireland, but ya ok lets drop him.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Robbie Keane would wanna start hitting some sort of form.
    Easier said than done I guess when you arent starting any games. Hope for he's sake and Ireland he goes this summer to a decent team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

Judging by their results in the past couple of years its really hard to judge how good slovakia are. They have lost against Ukraine(Home), Cyprus(away), Slovenia(H), Paraguay Chilie and of course Armenia. Yet have beaten Czech Rep (away), Poland (away), Italy and Russia (away). A real mixed bag of results!

But with Skrtel and Stoch missing I would be confident enough about getting a win over there. If, our mid-field gets sorted, if that means bringing in Gibson or Fahey or even O Shea, someone that can pass the ball forward. I personally would leave Whelan out as he looked very unfit at the last match, putting Gibson in instead of him. At least Gibson will add a little bit of creativity to the centre of the park (emphasis on little bit!).

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

2 goals in his last 3 competitive games for Ireland, but ya ok lets drop him.

Against Andorra and a soft penalty though, but I agree with you, still wouldnt drop him, even though he looks desperately off the pace, hopefully he'll be a bit sharper Tuesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Voltwad wrote: »

Check out what club he plays for ... sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

No player has a divine right to a shirt and frankly Keane might need a little kick up the arse because he plays like a man who knows his place is secure no matter what. Not fetching the ball after the penalty spoke volumes for me the other night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

I am a big United fan and I don't see it either, especially in a team like the Republic of Ireland. All he has is a rocket of a shot. He cannot pass, tracking back is poor, positional awareness is non-existant. In reality he is a player suited to the bottom half of the PL at best. He might do ok in a 4-5-1 being the most forward midfielder but we will never see Ireland play that formation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭LowOdour

It's ridiculous that Hoolahan is not in the squad.
    :confused:...an explanation would be useful to why you think this.

I have major issues with robbie keane, but if a half chance presents itself, id rather have robbie taking it than Long etc. Its a pity it has to be that way. I see Walters from stoke has been added to the squad....havent seen enough of him but always wary of someone who is 27 getting their first call up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

population wrote: »
    No player has a divine right to a shirt and frankly Keane might need a little kick up the arse because he plays like a man who knows his place is secure no matter what. Not fetching the ball after the penalty spoke volumes for me the other night

Well said my friend i posted in the other thread that his attitude is very questionable at times and the one you mentioned above is the perfect example!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Long upfront with Robbie so? Or will he go 4-5-1

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭enda_4

He deserves a chance and cant possibly be any worse than Green

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

just drop in Fahey for Greene, he's not afraid to get involved like Gibson :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

With Doyle out I'd put McGeady in the hole behind Keane as he is too much of a defensive liability as a winger but is our most threatening player going forward.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Xavi6 wrote: »
    With Doyle out I'd put McGeady in the hole behind Keane as he is too much of a defensive liability as a winger but is our most threatening player going forward.

Yeah, never thought I'd say it, but with Duffer out McGeady now looks like the best chance we have of creating a goal.
    I wish Trap didn't have such a hard on for Green, Kilbane and McShane though :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

For somone who doesn't play regular football, he can still turn it on when needed. If he was getting his game regularly I have no doubt he would be a permanent fixture in the Irish team.

Xavi6 wrote: »

I think we have to play with McGeady behind Keane, Long is ok but i think he's better suited as an impact sub. I'd play Fahey on the left too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement