Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slovakia v Ireland - 12th October - K/O 19:30

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

Still a long way to go. I wouldn't be pessimistic. Here comes the Keane bashing on the webcast. :rolleyes:

its not keane bashing,,its a fact he hasnt played well in long time and never saw him a captain material and specialy now,we need a strong leader on the pitch and keane falls well short of that for a long time,but he be captain and we wont have a good leader

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Grow up! did Keane not score in the Stade de France?? in Bari?? he's not playin regularly & that showed tonight. Low on confidence & form
    Yes he scored, but he always misses great chances. Does scoring cancel out all the chances you have missed??? Coz he misses far too often. He is crap, yes he is our best ever striker, but thats because we never had a good 1. We had to win there and its gona cost us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

its not keane bashing,,its a fact he hasnt played well in long time and never saw him a captain material and specialy now,we need a strong leader on the pitch and keane falls well short of that for a long time,but he be captain and we wont have a good leader

Top scorer in the last campaign with 5 goals plus 1 in the play-off with France. Yeah he's muck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Yes he scored, but he always misses great chances. Does scoring cancel out all the chances you have missed??? Coz he misses far too often. He is crap, yes he is our best ever striker, but thats because we never had a good 1. We had to win there and its gona cost us.

Keane is crap now? FFS wind yourself in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

How old are you, 12??

Keane is past his best anyway!! Im 13;)

Top scorer in the last campaign with 5 goals plus 1 in the play-off with France. Yeah he's muck.

cant live in past ,he did well in past but not today,good player when i form but hes not doing it,4 misses tonight and not a good leader on the pitch,friends of mine where at the match and they couldnt believe it,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,527 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Here's hoping Keane can get out of Spurs in January and start getting some form under his belt for our next qualification fixtures/
    A move for Given wouldn't be a bad thing either.

It's a real shame that trap doesn't want Andy reid, Paul Green has some work to do before he can get anywhere near this level and unfortunately it looks like time is up for the old battler Kilbane.

It was never going to be a simple group to qualify from, now it's going to be a struggle, just a pity Keane missed the penalty:(

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Would have liked them to win ( of course ) but Ireland to draw on my coupen was right choice .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Anyone know who they're talking about there on the webcast? Said a player who played a friendly for us but could still declare for another country because it wasnt a competitive appearance? :confused: Missed the start of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,527 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Keane is past his best anyway!! Im 13;)

Who do you suggest should take over from him?
    The guy bugs me but he has a proven track record playing for Ireland, he's also a confidence player, not playing at club level has him rusty.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

Yeah saw that. debating on whether James McCarthy can still declare for Scotland. Bill says he still can since he only played a friendly for Ireland. Liam didn't know that. Liam said that Trap also doesn't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

jaysus the accent of yer man

might as well be becks..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

We really need Jamie O'Hara to declare then he could play cm until McCarthy is ready and then LB once he's in the team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

mal1 wrote: »
    Yeah saw that. debating on whether James McCarthy can still declare for Scotland. Bill says he still can since he only played a friendly for Ireland. Liam didn't know that. Liam said that Trap also doesn't know.

Well that rule is news to me if thats true

cant live in past ,he did well in past but not today,good player when i form but hes not doing it,4 misses tonight and not a good leader on the pitch,friends of mine where at the match and they couldnt believe it

It's hardly the past. In this campaign he has scored 2 goals and we're not even halfway through the group. As for leadership, in the last campaign Keane scored the winner in the 1-0 win over Cyprus in Dublin. In the next game he scored the two goals in the 2-1 comeback win over Georgia (one was a penalty). In the match away to Italy he scored a crucial goal in the dying minutes. He scored a late winner in Cyprus as Ireland won 2-1. He then scored in Paris in the play-off to give Ireland a chance.

No leadership? No talent. People really need to cop the f*ck on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Ya I bet you conveniently forget all the IMPORTANT times he's scored. Name me a striker thats never missed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

I agree with the point that Keane is past it. Yes he was a great striker for Ireland but he's what 32/33 now? And he's not playing regular football at club level. Thats not good enough for a team who is trying to qualify for major tournaments.

I think a Doyle/Long partnership should be at least tested out in the friendly against Norway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

It was an odd game in the sense that I'd have been happy with the draw before the game but was disappointed by the draw at the end of the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Anyone know who they're talking about there on the webcast? Said a player who played a friendly for us but could still declare for another country because it wasnt a competitive appearance? :confused: Missed the start of it

McCarthy I reckon

Well that rule is news to me if thats true

It's new to me, Liam Brady and Trapattoni too. Is Bill wrong???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Keane is crap now? FFS wind yourself in.
    He was never world class at any stage! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Keane is our record scorer and credit where its due. Unfortunately due to his current club situation he is losing his sharpness in front of goal. Should we play a Doyle/Long partnership? I dont know. It will be very hard for Trap to drop Keane this season anyways. I dont know much about Long's Reading form this season so 1 and a bit games is a bit quick to start talking about dropping Keane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

FREETV wrote: »

So you're either world class or crap?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Disappointing but a huge improvemtment on Fridaygate. Good 1st half, poor second but on the balance of good chances we should have won. Positives after tonight - we have 5 months to sort ourselves out. We have 4 points from 6 away from home in arguably 2 of 3 hardest away trips.

However, and I may be proved wrong, but I don't think we'll qualify. Trap isn't playing his best available 11 without a doubt. IMO Gibson isn't up to it, and Green certainly isn't up to it. I thought McGeady was better than usual tonight. Long was good, we were generally solid, but my oh my Robbie. He's not a bad player but his confidence is 6 feet under. His attitude and diving against Russia was disgraceful and tonight he missed two sitters and penalty. He needs football but if, come March he still isn't playing, he shouldn't play. We have strikers in better form than him.

Trap is stubborn beyond belief and he won't change. He prides himself on discipline and organisation, yet we've given away 2 awful goals in the last 2 games. I hope I'm wrong, and this time next year I could well be, but because of his team selections and rigid 4-4-2 I don't think we'll qualify. But we shall see!

• Advertisement

Some crackers there on the webcast. :D

Someone wrote Barry Maguire had declared for Ireland and scored a hat-trick against Celtic so why wasn't he picked. As I recall, Ricky Van Wolfswinkel scored the hat-trick while Maguire got the other goal. Also I'm pretty sure Maguire was selected for an Irish squad but turned down the opportunity.

Interesting that Brady didn't know McCarthy was still eligible for Scotland. He seemed quite alarmed about that.

He has always missed a lot of chances Keane, far too many for a "top striker":rolleyes:
    I would play Doyle and Long and drop Keane yh. Needs a kick up the ar$e. Hopefully he gets a move in Jan, even scoring a few against the parttimers up in Scotland, to get the confidence back.

tdv123 wrote: »
    I agree with the point that Keane is past it. Yes he was a great striker for Ireland but he's what 32/33 now? And he's not playing regular football at club level. Thats not good enough for a team who is trying to qualify for major tournaments.

I think a Doyle/Long partnership should be at least tested out in the friendly against Norway.

Nah he's 30

Who said he ever was? He would make it into most international squads, put it that way.
    adox wrote: »
    So your either world class or crap????

Apparently that's the case.

adox wrote: »
    So your either world class or crap????
    He was always mediocre or average at best internationally! I wouldn't put any of the squad on a pedestal! :( In saying that he didn't receive much of a supply of ball tonight from midfield either to create many chances.

It's hardly the past. In this campaign he has scored 2 goals and we're not even halfway through the group. As for leadership, in the last campaign Keane scored the winner in the 1-0 win over Cyprus in Dublin. In the next game he scored the two goals in the 2-1 comeback win over Georgia (one was a penalty). In the match away to Italy he scored a crucial goal in the dying minutes. He scored a late winner in Cyprus as Ireland won 2-1. He then scored in Paris in the play-off to give Ireland a chance.

No leadership? No talent. People really need to cop the f*ck on.

has talent but not happening for last few games ,over all has missed good chances as much as he has scored and at time he has very poor games, never was a good leader, but got the job,given would do better job,goalies make good
    captains, unless he gets regular club football,hes will not improve,doent take cop on too see that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

mal1 wrote: »

Trap would definitely know. Sure it's been in the media a good bit and he's been an international manager long enough to know that.

He has always missed a lot of chances Keane, far too many for a "top striker":rolleyes:
    I would play Doyle and Long and drop Keane yh. Needs a kick up the ar$e. Hopefully he gets a move in Jan, even scoring a few against the parttimers up in Scotland, to get the confidence back.

Not many part timers in the SPL.
    Every striker misses chances, the way you're going on he can only be "top class" if he has a 100% strike rate :confused: Embarrassing are some of the comments on here when a player has a bad game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

8-10 wrote: »
    Trap would definitely know. Sure it's been in the media a good bit and he's been an international manager long enough to know that.

The rules have been changed recently so I'd like clarification too

McCarthy has rejected Scotland on several occasions before getting his first cap so hopefully Trap's behaviour hasnt made him rethink his future

8-10 wrote: »

I'm not so sure, the man is in his 70s. I think Brady did all the leg-work in getting McCarthy to declare for Ireland earlier this year. I hope Liam sends Giovanni a text to remind him about James:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Every striker misses chances, the way you're going on he can only be "top class" if he has a 100% strike rate :confused: Embarrassing are some of the comments on here when a player has a bad game.
    How about 4 bad games in a row with 1 decent goal against Andorra?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Could have sworn he was one of the top few scorers at a world cup and made a £13m move to one of the worlds biggest clubs early on in his career? :confused:

No no no. I said he misses far too many chances for a supposed top striker!! He aint clinical, he aint even a good finisher, good movement, being in the right area at the right time, but not a composed finisher.
    More missed chances, diving, terrible touches than good things out of Keane.

bonerm wrote: »
    Could have sworn he was one of the top few scorers at a world cup and made a £13m move to one of the worlds biggest clubs early on in his career? :confused:
    That move was mind boggling tbh, wasnt the manager quickly sacked and the new manager had no interest??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I would play Doyle and Long and drop Keane .

is that not like for like , you cant play 2 strikers that similiar together for everything they win someone has to be there to put the ball in the net. neither of them are that.

No problem with your idea but there has to be a scorer if your playing like that and we dont play with break midfielders to even think about that tactic.

For arguments sake i would play Doyle up front on his own with fahey an mac Carthy breaking off him, i know we will concede space but **** me it would be fun to watch.

No no no. I said he misses far too many chances for a supposed top striker!! He aint clinical, he aint even a good finisher, good movement, being in the right area at the right time, but not a composed finisher.
    More missed chances, diving, terrible touches than good things out of Keane.

Are we talking about Michael Keane, the lad that used to play for Preston? A match fit Robbie Keane is an excellent finisher.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Ya I bet you conveniently forget all the IMPORTANT times he's scored. Name me a striker thats never missed

Shouldn't his selection be based on current form.

And on current form he should be dropped. I doubt he will be though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Are we talking about Michael Keane, the lad that used to play for Preston? A match fit Robbie Keane is an excellent finisher.

hehhehehehhehehehe

bonerm wrote: »
    There has been a decline in the standards of international soccer in the last decade and he isn't the same player that he was in his early career. He tries but that isn't enough at this level and we need finishers not nearly there strikers and what could have been type strikers who fall short of the standard required. :(

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    How about 4 bad games in a row with 1 decent goal against Andorra?

I wouldn't say he had four bad games, the whole team, bar tonight has been poor if you're being honest. If he was match fit then he would have scored at least two tonight. Not really his fault that we have so few other options that he had to play every minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Jesus, I hope Kilbane retires soon. Every time he was getting forward tonight and was on the ball he ALWAYS slowed the ball up allowing Slovakian players to get back and defend.

Will nearly always pass back towards Given or the midfield when there's other options open going forward.

Never takes a quick throw after a speedy counter... Maybe that's not his fault because our movement from throw in's is absolutely dire.

Very disappointed about the result. Should've been winning that game.

I understand that Keane has an immense goal tally for us but his work rate is shocking. Always moaning at every little thing.

Lack of game time is really affecting him at the moment and doesn't look sharp at all in front of goal but that shouldn't stop him from working with the team, getting back and helping out every once in a while.

Despite the draw some of my positives were:

McGeady: Really put in a good shift for the team. Wasn't afraid to track back and was constantly running.

Same goes for Long who was a breath of fresh air up front. Ran his heart out, was a nuisance for their defenders. I'd love to see himself and Doyle up front. Could be a brilliant partnership.

Fahey did well too. Can hold up the ball rather well. Should definitely be starting in midfield ahead of Green who is absolutely useless.

All in all a disappointing result.

I wouldn't say he had four bad games, the whole team, bar tonight has been poor if you're being honest. If he was match fit then he would have scored at least two tonight. Not really his fault that we have so few other options that he had to play every minute.
    Keane, Duff and Doyle are all overrated, average on their best day type strikers! Sad but true unfortunately. We are talking about international and not sell out club football here! A disjointed squad at best. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Oh dear..... another 2 points dropped, it's all going pear-shaped now!:(

Before these two matches I wrote the following, and I was scoffed at:

Mark my words, these two games will be the end of our campaign. We'll be lucky to even secure 1 point from these two fixtures. The knives will be out come Wednesday morning!
    cson wrote: »
    Will you relax ffs.

Where were we before he came in? In the ****.

Where are we now? Right in the mix to qualify for our first major tournament in 10 years and just after missing out by a poor reffing decision on the World Cup.

To write off our chances already is ridiculous.
    gustavo wrote: »
    Consider your words duly marked :)

Oh, looks like I was right! :)

Remember these two matches, for when when we are facing yet another play-off heartbreak next year, the points dropped in these two games is exactly where our campaign came off the rails. If we had some sort of ambition and belief in ourselves, we should have been aiming for 6 points from these two games and we'd have one foot in the Euro finals as group winners right now. But oh no, little old Ireland has to do it the hard way. Same old story! :mad:

The way the group is shaping up after tonight's results, it's quite clear that Russia should qualify automatically and it'll be a real dogfight between ourselves, Slovakia and Armenia for second place. The sad thing is Slovakia, missing three key players, were certainly there for the taking tonight, yet we were the team on the ropes for the last twenty minutes. As for Russia, we got the tactics all wrong. We sat off them and made them look like world champions; it could easily been 4 or 5 nil on Friday night. It's a long time since a team has come to Dublin and given the home side such a hiding (maybe Spain in '93). However, if we had the correct team selection, and got the tactics right (eg. like we played away v France), there's no reason why we couldn't have given the Russians a real game. Oh well, what might have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

I'm fairly confident of 2nd. The central midfield will be sorted soon enough - McCarthy and Wilson will be bedded in in the near future and won't be long until Meyler is fit. 3 young players are arguably better than anything we currently have.

Kilbane will be peddled for either Stephen Ward, or JOS moving to left back to accommodate one of our three Premier League right backs.

I will be bitterly, bitterly disappointed if there's only one or two changes for Norway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

orourkeda wrote: »
    It was an odd game in the sense that I'd have been happy with the draw before the game but was disappointed by the draw at the end of the game.

True.

Looking at the Group it is still wide open. Russia could still drop points away from home. Win our remaining home games and beat Macedonia away and we still might be in with a shout of top.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

That_Guy wrote: »
    Jesus, I hope Kilbane retires soon. Every time he was getting forward tonight and was on the ball he ALWAYS slowed the ball up allowing Slovakian players to get back and defend.

Will nearly always pass back towards Given or the midfield when there's other options open going forward.

Never takes a quick throw after a speedy counter... Maybe that's not his fault because our movement from throw in's is absolutely dire.

Very disappointed about the result. Should've been winning that game.

I understand that Keane has an immense goal tally for us but his work rate is shocking. Always moaning at every little thing.

Lack of game time is really affecting him at the moment and doesn't look sharp at all in front of goal but that shouldn't stop him from working with the team, getting back and helping out every once in a while.

Despite the draw some of my positives were:

McGeady: Really put in a good shift for the team. Wasn't afraid to track back and was constantly running.

Same goes for Long who was a breath of fresh air up front. Ran his heart out, was a nuisance for their defenders. I'd love to see himself and Doyle up front. Could be a brilliant partnership.

Fahey did well too. Can hold up the ball rather well. Should definitely be starting in midfield ahead of Green who is absolutely useless.

All in all a disappointing result.
    Schoolboy type football almost at times tonight and Green is awful, doesn't look confident when he has the ball. Kilbane is certainly short of pace recently If that is the best that they can perform then no wonder there is so much negativity on here about the squad.

Advertisement