Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slovakia v Ireland - 12th October - K/O 19:30

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭PCros

MOG7 wrote: »
    I think we have to play with McGeady behind Keane, Long is ok but i think he's better suited as an impact sub. I'd play Fahey on the left too.

If we play like that the best I think we will get is a draw, do we want that if we're serious about qualifying?

I'd gamble with Long up front as he has a decent goal scoring record with Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

PCros wrote: »
    If we play like that the best I think we will get is a draw, do we want that if we're serious about qualifying?

I'd gamble with Long up front as he has a decent goal scoring record with Ireland.
    Are we actually going to go out and try win the game though? As in grab it by the bollox and take it to a side that is in a bit of disarray?

Probably not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,279 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Is Wilson not in the squad? I'd have him in CM - who the fcuk is Paul Green?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Ideally, I would like to see a 4-5-1/4-3-3 style. I would also pick the following team

S.Given
    K.Foley
    J.OShea
    R.Dunne
    S.St Ledger
    S.Long.
    K.Fahey
    D.Gibson
    G.Whelan
    A.Mcgeady
    R.Keane.

Naturally, this is unlikely to happen. Green completed the match, while Kilbane played for most of it. I think both of those will start. Liam Lawrence may also be given another match of grace. The only way I can imagine Gibson starting is if Glen Whelan is still injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭talla10

Why is Coleman not in squad??He is very good left back good turn of pace and this game would be ideal for his debut but that would involve dropping kilbane which he wont do.

With Doyle confirmed injured i think Long should start he gives it his all, never stops running and trying to get something happening and i think he is best of a bad lot.

Green shouldnt be in squad let alone starting in centre midfield he just isnt good enough forn international football at the level we want to be at. I think Keith Fahey would be better player he can make things happen very good passer of ball can read the game well and can take good free kick.

But i reckon with trap only change he will make in Long for Doyle :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Coleman is in the squad and he is a right back/right midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

roryc wrote: »
    For somone who doesn't play regular football, he can still turn it on when needed. If he was getting his game regularly I have no doubt he would be a permanent fixture in the Irish team.

The fact is, he is not good enough to get regular playing time.
    How many goals in the youtube clip were actually PL goals? 2?
    And in fairness in that you would be mistaken in thinking he could be the next Scholes.
    Now I hate being too harsh on him as he is only 22 but how often do you see him around midfield actually looking to recieve the ball when the team are being pressed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Xavi6 wrote: »
    With Doyle out I'd put McGeady in the hole behind Keane as he is too much of a defensive liability as a winger but is our most threatening player going forward.

I'd like this actually but it will never happen, it will either be Long or Gibson coming in

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

I reckon the loss of Doyle is a blessing in disguise.

Without Kev, Trap's hoofball tactics need to be changed a bit, and like some other posters I hope we go 4-5-1/4-3-3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

I dunno, even when he took off Doyle the hoofball became even more prevelant. I can't see any changes only enforced ones eg. Doyle. But I'd love to see Fahey given a start and Green thrown out of the squad. Giving 100% isn't enough at this level.

I'd say he'll stick with the 4-4-2 and throw Long beside Keane. It's a really must win game imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

with Doyle out I would like to see 4-5-1,with gibson and fahey starting.a draw would be a good result over there.i very much doubt trap will change from 442.long will probably start with keane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

It would be a great time for Stephen Ireland to just admit he acted like a dickhead and come back. I would forgive him instantly too. Wishful thinking tho:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

It would be a great time for Stephen Ireland to just admit he acted like a dickhead and come back. I would forgive him instantly too. Wishful thinking tho:(
    Nah, hes a good player so Trap wouldnt be interested anyway!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Trilla wrote: »
    I'd like this actually but it will never happen, it will either be Long or Gibson coming in

Trap has said that he believes McGeady is suited playing behind the striker and he will play him there sometime, no better time than now imo. For whats in the squad i would play it;

Given

Coleman Dunne St. Ledger O'Shea

Lawrence Whelan Wilson Fahey
    McGeady

Keane

I don't believe Trap will change Kilbane so i expect the back 4 to stay the sma but in midfield i can't see Trap picking Gibson, Wilson is good on the ball and will get stuck in with a few challenges which is what Trap wants.

Whelan i know he had a bad day but i do think he was being cautious not trying to pick up a yellow card which would have seen his suspended for the Slovakia game iirc. Picking up a yellow in this game wouldn't be as bad as we will have players back come next March.

Trap knows what he will get from Fahey too, he works hard and is good on the ball so imo we'd be better playing him there and McGeady behind Keane. Long as i said is a good player and his pace is a threat but i don't think he quiet good enough and Trap hasn't played him much either so i don't think Trap will go for him.

With McGeady behind Keane i think he can drop deep to get the ball and just let him run at the Slovaks.

Its going to be interesting to see what he goes with though as he has a few options in the squad and he really needs to make some changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Lads, Trappatoni thought Green played well. :eek:

Anyways, same team as last time except Long for Doyle. Jokeshop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

SantryRed wrote: »
    Lads, Trappatoni thought Green played well. :eek:

Anyways, same team as last time except Long for Doyle. Jokeshop.

Did he really think that?

Sunday World gave him a rating of 0 :D

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    I dunno, even when he took off Doyle the hoofball became even more prevelant. I can't see any changes only enforced ones eg. Doyle. But I'd love to see Fahey given a start and Green thrown out of the squad. Giving 100% isn't enough at this level.

I'd say he'll stick with the 4-4-2 and throw Long beside Keane. It's a really must win game imo.

You've got a point, but by then it was too late to change really...Gio ran out of ideas I think, and was bamboozled by Advocaat's game plan. Maybe now with Doyle out, and the fact that the HOOF didn't work at all in that game anyway, he will tell the players to play more to feet with a midfield that can actually play a bit.

I really hope Trap tries something different for the Slovakia game, and play Fahey and Gibson, with Long up front with Keane.

And try to use McGeady better too. He would be more of a threat behind the forwards imo.

If the midfield consists of Whelan and Green again....I would be VERY disappointed...to say the least!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

lol no way! Funny shi't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

For once i agree with them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Doyle will be a big loss. Tardelli's comments suggest Long will come in as a straight swap which if true will put a lot of pressure on him. I don't think this squad is set up for a 4-5-1. McGeady behind Keane wouldn't fill me with much confidence.

This is a big test for Trap no doubt. He's often accused of not having a good Plan B and his squad selection seems to suggest that. Let's see if he can muster up something. I was quite optimistic we could do well in this game but losing Doyle dampens my hopes quite a bit. I still think we can nullify their threat but I question if we can get at them down the other end now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭hitman79

Having watched Coleman a number of times an Everton fan i for one wouldn't put him in at right back. Often gets caught out of position and then lunges in to redeem himself. Always liable to give away a peno. Great going forward tho and would offer more than Lawrence imo.

Agree that Green has to go and Whelan wasn't much better but i dont see a whole lot in Gibson bar a decent shot. For Tuesday i'd go with the following.
    Given
    O Shea
    Kilbane
    Dunne--St Ledger

Whelan
    ----Lawrence----Fahey
    Coleman
    Mcgeady
    Keane

... McGeady behind Keane wouldn't fill me with much confidence...

I think he'd be good in that kind of position actually. When you look at him, he gets the ball and immediately looks down, tries to beat a man....and what he really wants to do is have a shot on goal. But when out on the wing the problem is that he usually has the opposing left/right midfielder and right/left back on him, and if he gets the better of them he still has a centre-back to deal with.

If he was "in the hole", he could receive the ball from midfield and run directly at the centre-backs, and being able to beat a man, he could find himself through on goal.

He has the pace and tricks to do it, but alas his shots aren't exactly lethal, but then again his crosses are garbage a lot of the time.

If I was a centre-back I wouldn't fancy facing McGeady, possibilities of being done up like a kipper and giving away free-kicks and penalties.

This of course is all theory, he could just end up frustrating everybody if he continually gives the ball away and refuses to pass the ball to Keane.

But anyway I'd like to see it tried at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I think Trap is mostly afraid of switching to more offensive tactics in case we win 4-0 or something along those lines. If he changes tack and we are better, he's out of a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

all of mcgeadys goals, all of them have come from when he cuts inside and runs head on athe goals and has a pop, i think he could be great in this role behind robbie IF he is deployed there, i wouldn't fancy being a centre half an having to deal with him running at me 30 yards from goal knowing that if he beats me he doesnt have anyone else to beat where as usually he has a centre half covering in for the full back and a winger tracking back aswell!

he is ok at threading a pass through aswell, anyone see any of his assists for moscow yet? some nice through balls there!

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

I'd love to see Fahey start instead of Green but I think Trap thinks of him as a left midfielder because Birmingham play him there more than the centre. He has the tendency to drift out of games but he deserves his chance ahead of Green anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭enda_4

Trap has said that he believes McGeady is suited playing behind the striker and he will play him there sometime, no better time than now imo. For whats in the squad i would play it;

Given

Coleman Dunne St. Ledger O'Shea

Lawrence Whelan Wilson Fahey
    McGeady

Keane

Doesn't look like he's in the squad, unless he was called up late with Coleman -http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/irish/9017608.stm

What about Keith Tracey? At least he's a natural left winger and playing some good stuff at the mo (granted its the championship)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Paper reports this morning seem to suggest Trap will stick to 4-4-2 with Shane Long or Jonathan Walters partnering Robbie up front :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

Voltwad wrote: »
    Paper reports this morning seem to suggest Trap will stick to 4-4-2 with Shane Long or Jonathan Walters partnering Robbie up front :(

I am less than surprised to hear this news. I am sick of Trap just phoning it in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

RTE website saying it looks like Long or Keogh to partner Keane up front.

Was Walters called up to replace Doyle?.. I really hope not, he only looks like a very ordinary player, we have enough of them already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

Was Walters called up to replace Doyle?.. I really hope not, he only looks like a very ordinary player, we have enough of them already.

To be fair to him, hes been playing well since his move to Stove.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Probably draw against Slovakia. Trappatoni has been lucky since he's taken over as manager. Everyone thinks he's doing a spectacular job due to how bad it was when Staunton was in charge. The game against Russia was the first time Ireland have played quality opposition under Trappatoni. We should have been Italy and France at the end of the day, they are both below the top class of international football. The luck ran out for Trap against Russia.

The gas thing is Brian Kerr did the same job as Trappatoni but got turfed out after the WC2006 campaign. If he was still in charge today I've no doubt we'd have been at WC2010 and be favourites to get out of this group as he would have blooded the young players successfully.

SantryRed wrote: »
    Probably draw against Slovakia. Trappatoni has been lucky since he's taken over as manager. Everyone thinks he's doing a spectacular job due to how bad it was when Staunton was in charge. The game against Russia was the first time Ireland have played quality opposition under Trappatoni. We should have been Italy and France at the end of the day, they are both below the top class of international football. The luck ran out for Trap against Russia.

The gas thing is Brian Kerr did the same job as Trappatoni but got turfed out after the WC2006 campaign. If he was still in charge today I've no doubt we'd have been at WC2010 and be favourites to get out of this group as he would have blooded the young players successfully.

You've got a point there, but it could be argued that Kerr had better players at his disposal e.g. Finnan, Roy Keane (oh how I wish we still had him).

When Trap starts using bad centre-backs as strikers, then I think the door will be shown to him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

mcgeady behind keane wouldnt work. They both want the ball to feet far too much. Mcgeady would be dropping deep to collect it, as would keane. When we do get the ball, there would be no one up front to receive it. Doyle does a good job occupying the opposition CB's, we need someone to take his place directly IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

KungPao wrote: »
    When Trap starts using bad centre-backs as strikers, then I think the door will be shown to him!

Paul McShane with the number 9 on his back..... now there's a thought!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Well he couldn't do much worse than he does in defence:pac:

event wrote: »
    mcgeady behind keane wouldnt work. They both want the ball to feet far too much. Mcgeady would be dropping deep to collect it, as would keane. When we do get the ball, there would be no one up front to receive it. Doyle does a good job occupying the opposition CB's, we need someone to take his place directly IMO

Hate to use England as an example, but they always thought they needed a heskey or crouch up there to win the ball and occupy the centre-backs...with Rooney dropping a bit deep, not too dissimilar to the Doyle/Keane scenario.

But since they went with two small strikers with Rooney and Defoe, they've looked a LOT more dangerous and scored a load of goals.

I think when you have strikers dropping too deep, it's a sign that midfield is useless anyway, so that needs to addressed.

Maybe it would be a bad idea to try it tomorrow, but worth a go for the friendly.

Don't even joke about it!

What if Trap thinks "We a miss Doyle for.... nexta game but we lucky because.... we have Pauullll Mac a shane, he has a good quality, goood play-yer, I tink he uhhhhh will be dangerass in the box of op-pon-ent and he will score many many goals"

:pac:

:(

Just for peace of mind, McShane isn't in the squad is he!?

Regarding the HOOFs...
    Shane Long wrote: »
    'I don't think we set out to play like that against Russia but it was hard to pass through the middle. We seemed to get a few shots off from that approach and it seemed to work so why change something that works?'

I don't like the sound of that, neither will Ricky Dunne...

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/1011/longs_ireland.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

We'd be better off pretending McShane was Slovakian and making him pretend he's their defender. I'm sure he'd get a few assists tomorrow night anyway! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Forgive my ignorance but where is Stephen Hunt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Forgive my ignorance but where is Stephen Hunt?

Coming back from injury. He's hoping to play his first game for Wolves in their next match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,846 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

So who is in for Doyle?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    So who is in for Doyle?

Looks like it will be Long in for Doyle with no other changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

If Green starts tomorrow night we are only asking for trouble.

I really hope the players go out with attitude that we need to win this game. I for one wont be pleased with draw.

If we want to top the group we need to win this match

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

KungPao wrote: »
    Hate to use England as an example, but they always thought they needed a heskey or crouch up there to win the ball and occupy the centre-backs...with Rooney dropping a bit deep, not too dissimilar to the Doyle/Keane scenario.

But since they went with two small strikers with Rooney and Defoe, they've looked a LOT more dangerous and scored a load of goals.

I think when you have strikers dropping too deep, it's a sign that midfield is useless anyway, so that needs to addressed.

Maybe it would be a bad idea to try it tomorrow, but worth a go for the friendly.

i dont get ya

when england play Defoe, he's right up top. Rooney with him has the option to stay up with him, or drop back.

with keane/mcgeady they would both be dropping back. Keane has pretty much always played as second striker, off a big man. MCgeady would also drop back, he's a midfielder and wouldnt be used to up front at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

If Green starts tomorrow night we are only asking for trouble.

I agree. He's clearly out of his depth. We have much better midfielders but Trap won't pick them.

event wrote: »
    i dont get ya

when england play Defoe, he's right up top. Rooney with him has the option to stay up with him, or drop back.

with keane/mcgeady they would both be dropping back. Keane has pretty much always played as second striker, off a big man. MCgeady would also drop back, he's a midfielder and wouldnt be used to up front at all

Yeah you are probably right.

But the way we play is just so predictable and it's not very effective against decent teams. I'd like to try something a little different, where we have players running at - and not backing into - the centre-backs.

But anyway, it seems we are just swapping Long for Doyle...HOOFing the ball to Long won't be too productive i feel. Maybe they will have a bit more variation tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Lawrence is doubtful with a leg muscle injury of some kind. Fahey apparently set to start if Lawrence doesnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭talla10

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Lawrence is doubtful with a leg muscle injury of some kind. Fahey apparently set to start if Lawrence doesnt.

I think Fahey deserves his chance to start but rather have Lawrence in team as well but if he is injured not much ya can do!!If green starts tomorrow (and i think its fairly certain he will) it shows the lack of imagination and ambition Trap really has. Green just isnt good enough for the premiership of international football!Lets hope Gibson takes him out of it in training ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement