Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slovakia v Ireland - 12th October - K/O 19:30

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭ko4jm6y9iwv2lc

talla10 wrote: »
    Lets hope Gibson takes him out of it in training

Hopefully he might take out a few others while he is at it!

Seriously though, I would much prefer to see Gibson in instead of Green. I don't mean to criticise Green, I have no doubt he gives his all in every match, but he is clearly playing out of his depth and this was clear for all to see in the Russia match.

He is even quite inexperienced when you consider he only made his Ireland debut back in May.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

KO is 07;30 Irish time isnt it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

If Lawrence doesn't make it then Coleman could be a decent alternative, albeit a risky one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭TheJesusWarrant

Kilbane, Green and Whelan should never get to pull on an Irish shirt again. Kilbane is now effectively a league 1 player since he can't get game time in the championship, Green is the worst player I've ever seen play for Ireland while Whelan was to blame for Russia's first goal and completely useless after that. I don't care who they're replaced with, just get rid of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Kilbane, Green and Whelan should never get to pull on an Irish shirt again. Kilbane is now effectively a league 1 player since he can't get game time in the championship, Green is the worst player I've ever seen play for Ireland while Whelan was to blame for Russia's first goal and completely useless after that. I don't care who they're replaced with, just get rid of them.

Fully agree with you on Kilbane and Green. McShane can be included in that elite group too. I still think Whelan has something to offer though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

Kilbane, Green and Whelan should never get to pull on an Irish shirt again. Kilbane is now effectively a league 1 player since he can't get game time in the championship, Green is the worst player I've ever seen play for Ireland while Whelan was to blame for Russia's first goal and completely useless after that.

Very harsh, I must say. I would use Kilbane as a sub but he shouldn't be starting. Whelan, I think he's not bad, certainly not terrible. Obviously, Green is not good enough so I agree with you on him. He wins the ball then gives it away almost instantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Green is the worst player I've ever seen play for Ireland

In that case you should try get a recording of Paul Butlers 45 minutes of fame or Alan Kernaghan's performance v Spain in 1993.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

My only hope in the inevitable case of Paul Green being picked tomorrow, is that he isnt shown up as much as he was by the Russians. Lee Carsley would actually do a better job and he's ancient

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Paul McShane with the number 9 on his back..... now there's a thought!

I think it'd be a great call. He creates goals out of nothing in that area of the park all the time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

There isnt much between Slovakia and ourselves so we have a chance here. The players will feel they let everyone down last Friday (so will Slovakia though) and I can see us playing pretty well. I fancy a draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Woah, very harsh on Whelan!
    I can't back up his Russia performance, but I can't back up most of the our players performances.
    Whelan is a good player as he roles up his sleeves and puts himself about the park for 90+ minutes, whatsmore he can play a good pass & cross and can take a shot.
    In an ideal world he would be partnered by someone more creative and given more of a licence to get forward!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Cian A wrote: »

Some good news though that one of the Slovakian full backs is there too, Zabavnik, anyone know which side he plays on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

MOG7 wrote: »
    Some good news though that one of the Slovakian full backs is there too, Zabavnik, anyone know which side he plays on?

I believe he's their left-back because I know Pekarik is their right-back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I actually thought Kilbane unlike most was solid against Russia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

Given

Kelly/Coleman Dunne St. Ledger O' Shea

McGeady/Lawrence Whelan Andrews Duff

Doyle Keane

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

SRFC90 wrote: »
    Given

Kelly/Coleman Dunne St. Ledger O' Shea

McGeady/Lawrence Whelan Andrews Duff

Doyle Keane

Yes. We can all dream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

If Lawrence doesn't make it then Coleman could be a decent alternative, albeit a risky one.
    At this stage of his career, Coleman might well be an option for right side of midfield. Lovely footballer, plenty of pace and energy and has a decent cross on him. His big weakness at the moment is his defensive ability, gets caught out too often and makes silly mistakes.

I'm sure that he'll sort that out over the next year or two when he gains experience, as he does have all the makings of a great right back for the future. But anyone who suggests he is ready to start international games at full back hasn't seen him play very often.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,018 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Anyone know when the team will be announced, Not that there will be any changes or anything just wondering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭GampDub

I find the earliest you wull get the team will be officially announced is on Six One news...! so some time around 6.30?

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

baraca wrote: »
    Anyone know when the team will be announced, Not that there will be any changes or anything just wondering.

They said Long will be in for Doyle but Keogh has a chance too. Also, Lawrence is a doubt and Fahey will come in for him.

Trap likes to stick with the same team. So he will never make any of the changes we want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Im hoping that if its Long that gets the nod, that we dont just lump balls it at him, he has more to his game then but its something I dont Trap will change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,835 ✭✭✭Trampas

Green shouldn't play.

I think Trap is a stubborn when it comes to team selection. Feels like he doesn't make changes cause the media say player x is terrible and should be dropped but to prove them wrong he plays them.

Kilbane legs are gone and maybe he should step up to the plate and tell trap he should be dropped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Paddy Power has a special in their shops: Keane to be first scorer @ 10-1, get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭enda_4

Are we just gonna pump it up to Long now??? :mad:

Keane - 'I think they were a little bit surprised with Shane because he doesn't look the tallest but he's got a great leap so in that respect he's fairly similar to Kevin.'

Link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭LowOdour

i have my reservations about Coleman, but starting him on the right would give us one thing that this team severely lacks, and that is pace. look through the team, i can’t think of anybody bar mcgeady that gives us pace around the pitch. if you are going to play the long ball, then you need men who are going to move up with the play from their own half...and then been able to get back and cover when we , inevitably, lose the ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Mcgeady might give us pace but he cant pass, cant cross and cant get by players, so basically he is useless to us, and sooner he is droped the better.

As for Greene, I say nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Anyone know much about Macedonia? Are they any good these days?

Here's hoping they do the business against Russia tonight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,527 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

KungPao wrote: »

Here's hoping I win the euromillions two weeks in a row while we're at it.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

They are probably worst than us! So, I don't see Russia having much trouble with them.

• Advertisement

Mcgeady might give us pace but he cant pass, cant cross and get by players, so basically he is useless to us, and sooner he is droped the better.
    And replace him with who? Duff is injured, fahey is unproven so i dont see an alternative. Yes, he is flawed and i criticise him plenty, but id rather see him than keogh.

I think all the problems in this team affect each other.
    We cannot keep the ball, so our poor midfield gets showen up, which puts pressure on a weak defence, who may get a challenge in, get the ball, hoof it up the field, kevin doyle goes for it, gets a free kick, but we give it away....and we are back to square one. The only change from that is when we score from said free kick/set piece.
    Yes, green is awful, kilbane way past it etc but the management are so set in their ways that i dont see things changing.

Its actually so frustrating its laughable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Are they showing this on the RTE website tonight?

And if so, any chance it won't be blocked out to me here in Spain? I know they shpwed their World Cup coverage internationally!

They are probably worst than us! So, I don't see Russia having much trouble with them.

Funnier things have happened, like last friday for example, I doubt many people backed Armenia to beat Slovakia.

The whole campaign could be up down like that. And realistically we need the others teams to keep slipping up to have a chance.

It's a tall order of course for Macedonia to beat or even draw with Russia, but this is their second away game in row....after a fair bit of travelling and all that.

You never know.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Are they showing this on the RTE website tonight?

And if so, any chance it won't be blocked out to me here in Spain? I know they shpwed their World Cup coverage internationally!

MrStuffins,

I used to live abroad and watched all the matches on the rte website by using this IP hider program.

Download it here http://www.allanonymity.com/ip-hider-hide-ip-software/

You can select an Irish IP. It's a 3 day trial, but you can use it again and again by creating a new windows user!

I haven't used it in about 9 months, but I'd say it still does the job.

I watched France V Ireland with this...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Warper wrote: »
    Paddy Power has a special in their shops: Keane to be first scorer @ 10-1, get on.

7/1 now, still put a tenner on though. We have a great chance to win tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Mcgeady might give us pace but he cant pass, cant cross and cant get by players, so basically he is useless to us, and sooner he is droped the better.

As for Greene, I say nothing

Ok i agree his passing is sometimes poor and his crossing is poor a lot too but saying he can't get by any players is just not in any way true, getting by players is something that McGeady does better than almost anybody else. As said already who would you replace him with?

As i said many times before people need to stop pointing the finger at McGeady, we have much much much bigger problems in the team in centre midfield and at the back, people who constantly go back to blaming McGeady must be blind to some of the other rubbish the team. I can almost gaurantee that no matter what McGeady does tonight there will be somebody on boards tonight giving him a rating of 2 again :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Kristian_

After last Fri I really can't believe Green Whelan & Kilbane will all start again. Even with Doyle out I have no doubt it will be hoof and hope stuff for the majority again tonight and really it's just sad to watch.
    We have 2 midfielders who basically just don't want the f**king ball because they know when they do get it they'll f*ck up which happened so many times against Russia.
    Slovakia are a decent side, they can pass the ball and they have some good attacking players.
    With those 3 in the team I just have no confidence in getting a result tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

MrStuffins,

I used to live abroad and watched all the matches on the rte website by using this IP hider program.

Download it here http://www.allanonymity.com/ip-hider-hide-ip-software/

You can select an Irish IP. It's a 3 day trial, but you can use it again and again by creating a new windows user!

I haven't used it in about 9 months, but I'd say it still does the job.

I watched France V Ireland with this...:(

Hey man!

Any idea why, after i change the IP address to the Irish one, that i can't connect to the net?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

I think the result very much depends on how ambitious Slovakia are in Midfield. Russia played five and completely over ran us, especially the Zenit trio who played in a triangle in the centre whose dynamism was way too creative for us. Even there deepest lying midfielder didn't have to sit back because Whelan and Green offered nothing going forward. Kersykov was very intelligent up front for them constantly making runs towards the flanks draging either St ledger or Dunne out with him and thus opening up huge amounts of space which Russia's two attacking midfielders exploited.

If Weiss does his homework he'll be able to figure out very predictable gameplan and completely dominate us again. Can't see them being as fluid as Russia were but they should have enough about them to beat us IMO. Doyle is a gigantic loss obviously, himself and Keane were isolated and can't see anything changing tonight, only Long is not nearly as good as Doyle at feeding off scraps or winning ball in the air so I'm predictiing even less possesion for the pair.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Hey man!

Any idea why, after i change the IP address to the Irish one, that i can't connect to the net?

Nuts.

I just checked it out myself, no dice. Still connected to the internet but the browser wont work, both IE and firefox.

My laptop has Win7 but I last used the program on XP.

Sure i'll fiddle around with it now and see what's what.

• Advertisement

Apart from Russia and France, we havn't lost a competitive fixture in 2 years. Have some faith. I don't like Greene either, and if he plays tonight then it's up to the rest of them to step up. Slovakia are kind of equally matched to us but we should win this. Poxy goal, debatable offside goal, dodgy penalty- i'll take it. We need 3 points here.

Apart from Russia and France, we havn't lost a competitive fixture in 2 years. Have some faith. I don't like Greene either, and if he plays tonight then it's up to the rest of them to step up. Slovakia are kind of equally matched to us but we should win this. Poxy goal, debatable offside goal, dodgy penalty- i'll take it. We need 3 points here.

I may be wrong but I dont think we've beaten a team ranked higher than us in a qualifier away from home since....well, since the rankings began actually! A draw it is then

I may be wrong but I dont think we've beaten a team ranked higher than us in a qualifier away from home since....well, since the rankings began actually! A draw it is then

Hoping you eat your words tonight.

Hoping you eat your words tonight.

Hope so too, but not putting any money on it

Indeed we do need 3 points....but this kind of thing is of no help. Yes, a 'Poxy goal, debatable offside goal, dodgy penalty' will be needed and welcomed at times. But, we should be going out to play 'ball and create goal chances,keep the ball etc...more chance of us getting something from the game than depending on luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

To OP and Mods.

The match is starting at 7.30 not 8.30

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dimitri

Yes but that will never happen on the pitch with Green and Whelan there is absolutely no creativity and to be honest i think the best thing that could happen would be to put McGeady in behind Long, Bring on Fahey and Gibson and see if we can actually play soccer. I'd have called Ward upto the squad also to replace Kilbane. I hate saying a bad word against the guy but I wish he'd just bow out himself because Trap clearly isn't going to drop him.

LowOdour wrote: »
    Indeed we do need 3 points....but this kind of thing is of no help. Yes, a 'Poxy goal, debatable offside goal, dodgy penalty' will be needed and welcomed at times. But, we should be going out to play 'ball and create goal chances,keep the ball etc...more chance of us getting something from the game than depending on luck.

I agree, i'd like to see us pass the ball and play some good football too. But if we don't, i'll take a win any way it comes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I think Ireland need to switch John O'Shea to midfield. He started there for United recently against Everton and he's wasted at right back if you ask me. Our most experienced player shouldn't be starting at right back.

Trap also needs to look at his formation. The majority of top class teams are now playing 4-3-2-1 or 4-5-1 so our midfield is going to be overrun. I think Ireland should revert to a 4-3-2-1 with McGeady and perhaps Keane supporting Doyle. Not for tonight but for looking to the future. Russia overran us in midfield and that was part of the problem, as well as our midfield being piss poor.

An Irish team I'd love to see:

Given

Foley - Dunne - St Ledger - Ward

Andrews - O'Shea - Wilson

McGeady Keane
    Doyle

It'll never happen but it'd be the best 11 we could put on the pitch. The likes of Hunt, MCarthy and Fahey could also slot into those attacking or midfield slots.

I have to agree with others on the Gibson debate. I can't see why he's getting such great praise.

McGeady was our best player against Russia. They were doubling up on him any time he got the ball. I think moving out of Scotland and to Russia will greatly improve his game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Over on BPF there's a competition on this game, just place three completetly free bets and the biggest winner wins a free €20 bet with Paddy Power. Nothing to lose!

http://backpagefootball.com/featured/hold-the-backpage-episode-11/

Advertisement