Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slovakia v Ireland - 12th October - K/O 19:30

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

MOG7 wrote: »
    Ok i agree his passing is sometimes poor and his crossing is poor a lot too but saying he can't get by any players is just not in any way true, getting by players is something that McGeady does better than almost anybody else. As said already who would you replace him with?

As i said many times before people need to stop pointing the finger at McGeady, we have much much much bigger problems in the team in centre midfield and at the back, people who constantly go back to blaming McGeady must be blind to some of the other rubbish the team. I can almost gaurantee that no matter what McGeady does tonight there will be somebody on boards tonight giving him a rating of 2 again :rolleyes:

Nope not blind to any of the other problems we have either.

As you said Kilbane is done, did his time and was a great service for us.
    Maybe bring in Coleman for right back and move O'shea to left back or even bring Stephen Kelly and Coleman in, drop Ledger and play o'shea at centre half.

Also could try O'shea in middle like he is sometimes for utd!!

I have no answers for our middle of the field!

Problem is, we dont have the players but a draw tonight would be a good result for this team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

I'm in work, and cant access any football sites. Any idea when the team is to be announced?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭peejay1986

thorbarry wrote: »
    I'm in work, and cant access any football sites. Any idea when the team is to be announced?

Already has apparently

http://oneteaminireland.blogspot.com/2010/10/ireland-team-named-for-crucial-slovakia.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Armenia 3-0 up against Andorra at half time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭peejay1986

thorbarry wrote: »
    as expected then :(

Yeah. Didn't expect too many changes to be honest. It'd be asking a lot for new players to come in for such a big game in an intimidating venue. Saying that, I hoped that at least one of the centre midfield pairing would be changed.

After this, the next competitive game we have is the double header against Macedonia. No disrespect to them but those games, along with the friendly against Norway should be used to give Coleman and even Cunningham a chance to show their worth. I'm open to the option of switching O'Shea to LB (Yes, not his best position but the net gain would be better imo) and putting Coleman at RB. Perhaps Trap might try this in November.

It may not be the Ireland team I wanted to see playing tonight but it's an Ireland team nonetheless so they'll be getting my 100% support. Gutted I'm not in Slovakia for this one but oh well, come on you boys in green!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

I'd be happy enough with the inclusion of fahey. we have a bot of pace down both flanks, with a bit of pace up front with Long.

Hpwever you cannot carry Whelan and Green in midefield, you'd get away with one of them but not both.

Whelan is very very limited in what he offer, looks slow and laboured. Surely Gibson is a better option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭FUNKY LOVER

never expected so little going into an ireland game so whatever happens meh!!!2-2 i reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I predict that on at least one occasion after an innocuous challenge in and around the box, Robbie Keane will hurl himself to the ground, not get a free kick and hop back on to his feet quicker than you can say gurrier. Incidentally this is just enough time to allow him to begin shouting and pointing at anyone within range of his mouth and finger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I predict that on at least one occasion after an innocuous challenge in and around the box, Robbie Keane will hurl himself to the ground, not get a free kick and hop back on to his feet quicker than you can say gurrier. Incidentally this is just enough time to allow him to begin shouting and pointing at anyone within range of his mouth and finger.

Then shortly afterward he will be a mile offside, get pulled up for it, and then look at the lineman and wag his finger from side to side in disapproval!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭LowOdour

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Then shortly afterward he will be a mile offside, get pulled up for it, and then look at the lineman and wag his finger from side to side in disapproval!

where is my mick jagger animated gif when i need it...

so what,he is the best option we have at the moment and our leading goalscorer so whats the point in knocking him??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Am I the only person alive who thinks Aidan McGeady is overrated and refuses to do the simple thing more often than not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Thats what he built his career on.

the bashing on this thread of our players is hilarious,i think we need to be brought a notch down to know our limits...we just dont have the players people think we do so just accept it and take what comes.

orourkeda wrote: »
    Am I the only person alive who thinks Aidan McGeady is overrated and refuses to do the simple thing more often than not?

He's the most frustrating player in the world to watch! It's ridiculous!

Everyone says "he can beat players", but who cares? Whats the point whan he can't cross, can't pass and can't shoot?

the bashing on this thread of our players is hilarious,i think we need to be brought a notch down to know our limits...we just dont have the players people think we do so just accept it and take what comes.

Just for the record, i wasn't knocking Keano! I love the guy, he's the best striker this country has ever had IMO!

but he does like to act the maggot after he gets caught a mile offside! Watch out for it tonight, it will happen within the first 15 mins! :pac:

Just for the record, i wasn't knocking Keano! I love the guy, he's the best striker this country has ever had IMO!

but he does like to act the maggot after he gets caught a mile offside! Watch out for it tonight, it will happen within the first 15 mins! :pac:

i mean the mcgeady keane whelan bashing!!

i mean the mcgeady keane whelan bashing!!

I like Whelan, but i wouldn't have his babies.

Whereas McGeady, he's so frustrating!

is fahey starting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Kristian_

Yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

He's the most frustrating player in the world to watch! It's ridiculous!

Everyone says "he can beat players", but who cares? Whats the point whan he can't cross, can't pass and can't shoot?

He had a couple of good crosses and shots against Russia

Its not that he cant, its that he wont...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Armenia top of group now. 4-0 win over Andorra

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

2-1 Ireland. 1 defeat does not a bad team make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Armenia top of group now. 4-0 win over Andorra

Two fantastic strikes for a couple of their goals... in fairness we done a great job coming away from their with the 3 points.. CMON Ireland, get the ball on the ground and start playing!! (****ing Green and Whelan starting again:(:()

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

thats a very lightweight midfield :(

CSF wrote: »
    2-1 Ireland. 1 defeat does not a bad team make.

Aye, a non existent central midfield does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Cmon Paul Green, prove us all wrong!

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Aye, a non existent central midfield does.
    Explain our good results upto now so.

• Advertisement

CSF wrote: »
    Explain our good results upto now so.

You mean against Andorra and Armenia?

You really need me to do that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm pleased Gibson isn't in as this game isn't suited for him. Green has come in for criticism and rightly so but his job tonight is quite limited so I think he might be able to manage it. I'm mostly concerned about the loss of Doyle but hopefully we can nick a goal or two. Come on Ireland!

pre match nerves ahhh!!

would cream my pants if we got 3 points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Cmon Paul Green, prove us all wrong!

Pigs will fly as they say. We're missing Duff, Hunt, Andrews, Doyle to name a few, if they started tonight id be a lot more confident. Armenia winning tonight i think adds extra pressure as well, 3pts is a must this evening.

Fuhrer wrote: »
    You mean against Andorra and Armenia?

You really need me to do that?
    Nope. Trappatoni's whole reign. Lets not try make out like the loss of Keith Andrews has been the ending of us as a footballing nation.

I'm pleased Gibson isn't in as this game isn't suited for him. Green has come in for criticism and rightly so but his job tonight is quite limited so I think he might be able to manage it. I'm mostly concerned about the loss of Doyle but hopefully we can nick a goal or two. Come on Ireland!

why is this game not suited to him?like its a football match why do players have to be suited to 1 game and not the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Why is there all this criticism of our gameplay by the media ? Did any of them actually see the world cup ? Apart from Spain, very few teams actually tried to play football . . Germany were lauded but they played an awesome counter attacking brand of football and Netherlands got there by strangling out games . .

Im not excusing poor play, but Trappatoni is maximising the chances we have with the players available and there are teams with much better players, playing even more defensively.

If any of the hacks writing complete BS understood football even a quarter as much as Im sure Trapp's wife does, we mightnt be subjected to lazy, English media (cant insult them anymore then that) crap that only serves to highlight their ignorance and inability to understand the game . .

Come on Ireland . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Drumpot wrote: »
    Why is there all this criticism of our gameplay by the media ? Did any of them actually see the world cup ? Apart from Spain, very few teams actually tried to play football . . Germany were lauded but they played an awesome counter attacking brand of football and Netherlands got there by strangling out games . .

Im not excusing poor play, but Trappatoni is maximising the chances we have with the players available. If any of the hacks writing complete BS understood football even a quarter as much as Im sure Trapp's wife does, we mightnt be subjected to lazy, English media (cant insult them anymore then that) crap that only serves to highlight their ignorance and inability to understand the game . .

Come on Ireland . . .

what!? no way

why is this game not suited to him?like its a football match why do players have to be suited to 1 game and not the other.

Because Hamsik is going to be the focal point of a lot of their play and having seen plenty of Gibson I know that he is not suited for stifling his opponents. His best attributes are offensive and this is a game where the Trap style of restricting opponents is for the best. Gibson would be hopeless in a game like this. I'm not a fan of Green but I'd rate his chances as better than Gibson's for this type of game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

I think gibson would be far better than green, as shaky as he is.

A person who can take a good shot and pass the ball, is better than someone who looks like a ghost for the whole game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Because some players have different strengths that suit different situations.

Having said that I'd prefer a cardboard cut out of Roy Keane in midfield rather than Green.

• Advertisement

when will george hamilton retire my god,he really talks some ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Because Hamsik is going to be the focal point of a lot of their play and having seen plenty of Gibson I know that he is not suited for stifling his opponents. His best attributes are offensive and this is a game where the Trap style of restricting opponents is for the best. Gibson would be hopeless in a game like this. I'm not a fan of Green but I'd rate his chances as better than Gibson's for this type of game.

I don't see why 1 defensive midfielder isn't enough to stifle one of their attacking midfielders tbh...

Good to have Beglin back on commentary.
    Liam O wrote: »
    I don't see why 1 defensive midfielder isn't enough to stifle one of their attacking midfielders tbh...

I don't think Whelan is good enough to do that. Would you genuinely be confident of him and Gibson protecting the defence? I wouldn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Frisbee wrote: »
    Because some players have different strengths that suit different situations.

Having said that I'd prefer a cardboard cut out of Roy Keane in midfield rather than Green.

actually LOLed at that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I think our midfield pair will both want to up their performance tonight. To me Whelan has steadily improved under Trap bar the Russia game and I expect him to play well tonight. Green could play worse tonight (if thats possible) in an over exhuberant attempt to do better. Thats the problem with inexperience. Regardless come on lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭cantgetright

But he's a good man for pronounciaton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Leave George alone, he's a legend in my view commenting on the irish games over the years :)

camera angle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Green and his **** passing is here already!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

Don't like him at all, few years ago he told a kid to **** off in Dalymount when he was asked for his autograph.

• Advertisement
Advertisement