Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slovakia v Ireland - 12th October - K/O 19:30

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

This doesn't bode well... Conceding a rather soft goal (Whelan didn't cover himself in glory again) and missing the peno.

Thankfully Slovakia have been terribly inept despite Fahay being about the only person on our team able to retain the ball. Let's see if Gibson can get into the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Keane you tool, never really did it in front of goal for ireland did you....:rolleyes:

We can win this, slovaks rubbish, just need to keep composed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

McGeady was never going to get back on the ball after that flick.

Penalty and yellow card is right IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

CSF wrote: »
    I'll never understand how the keeper isn't sent off in that situation, disgraceful.

He would have if McGeady hadn't booted the ball into the crowd. It was nearly out of play when the keeper made contact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Brady just said Keane couldn't be dropped because of his scoring record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

CSF wrote: »
    I'll never understand how the keeper isn't sent off in that situation, disgraceful.

I suppose it is impossible to call it a professional foul unless there is clear intent on the part of the last man back. Further, McGeady's attempts at taking the ball were more in hope then anything else. TBH, I think the best we could have got from that situation was the peno.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Is that the first penalty Robbie has missed for Ireland??

We are much better tonight. We need to keep getting at them.

Come on Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

thegen wrote: »
    Brady just said Keane couldn't be dropped because of his scoring record.

I think he still feels a loyalty to the current set up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Sick of Trappatoni's tactics. The worst thing Ireland can do is go ahead early in games. Once they go one up they get ridiculously negative and can't change their tactics. It's a jokeshop.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Kristian_

Knew he would miss, he is playing $hite.:mad:
    Hopefully we'll get a few more chances.
    Gibson on thank christ, Green was ok but giving the ball away too much again.

• Advertisement

SantryRed wrote: »
    Sick of Trappatoni's tactics. The worst thing Ireland can do is go ahead early in games. Once they go one up they get ridiculously negative and can't change their tactics. It's a jokeshop.

Im not sure about that. Under Staunton a single goal lead for Ireland was the kiss of death. Our inability to keep a lead under Trap has often been down to individual mistakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Must be watching a different game, we had chances and played good stuff (for our players standards) after we went 1 up. All our goals we concede are complete cockups

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

whats giles blabering on about :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭baldbear

Wheres James McCarthy? Hokey Doke!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Greens best performance in a Irish shirt to date. I think his final contribution could see us winning the game.

Trilla wrote: »
    Must be watching a different game, we had chances and played good stuff (for our players standards) after we went 1 up

Have you not seen how deep we've dropped? It's a farce. Slovakia have had more of the ball since we went 1-0 up. We should be putting teams away. Slovakia are a very average team and are clearly there for the taking. But going 2-1 up early in the second half is just going to invite a ridiculous amount of pressure for the rest of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Have you not seen how deep we've dropped? It's a farce. Slovakia have had more of the ball since we went 1-0 up. We should be putting teams away. Slovakia are a very average team and are clearly there for the taking. But going 2-1 up early in the second half is just going to invite a ridiculous amount of pressure for the rest of the game.

I agree that we have altered our style of play since scoring, but to say get trap out is a little ott.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

You do realise we are away here yeah ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,833 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

nuxxx wrote: »
    whats giles blabering on about :p

ya have to approach the ball a certain way when taking a penalty, Robbie did't do that, he ran up backwards

• Advertisement

I honestly think you are confusing this game with our game with SLovakia in September 2007. We have not dropped any further then usual after the goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭blindpilot

Its still a lot better than Friday night. We can win this providin the penalty miss doesnt affect us.

Darren Gibson, whilst being better than green has yet to prove himself at any level...

Other than the League Cup. Step up to the plate son. It wont drop into your lap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The first-half was encouraging. We were the better team but unfortunately we gave away a soft goal and failed to score the penalty. I also think Gibson on for Green could be bad news for the system that Ireland play. I wouldn't be confident about Gibson doing a defensive job.

I think Slovakia will be just as encouraged by the events of the first-half. Game is on a knife-edge I think. I just hope we can hold it together and nick one. Come on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭baldbear

I'v a good feeling about this second half.(or it could be the auld worms again) Come on Fahy, lash a few in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

45 mins for Robbie Keane to redeem himself and save himself being crucified. Defo another goal in us, but can we stop conceding is another matter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

whycliff wrote: »
    Darren Gibson, whilst being better than green has yet to prove himself at any level...

Other than the League Cup. Step up to the plate son. It wont drop into your lap.

He's better than Green and Whelan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Bad tming for the penalty miss. I hope we go out with the same philosophy in the second half. These guys are there for the taking, come on Ireland!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

blindpilot wrote: »
    Its still a lot better than Friday night. We can win this providin the penalty miss doesnt affect us.

You have to take into account the opposition though.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    You do realise we are away here yeah ?

Yes I do. But when you drop that deep there is no way you can counter attack. Long can't keep the ball up there by himself while the team tries to hurry up the pitch. We are just way too deep at times and it kills us.

Slovakia are an average team, we are by far the better of the two teams but the negative tactics could come back to haunt us again in this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

The Irish support has been absolutely superb tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Hamsik already cutting through the central midfield.

Gibson pulled out the yella *******

OPENROAD wrote: »
    You have to take into account the opposition though.

True. watchin this I've been wondering how they got to the World Cup at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

_Bella_ wrote: »
    The Irish support has been absolutely superb tonight.

alcohol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Great feet from McGeady.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

McGeady ,head down, runs up another alleyway.

Hapless from O Shea.

Desperate back pass there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JamBur

Would you take a 1-1 now? I think I would

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Given ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Jesus Christ Dunne!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

JamBur wrote: »
    I think the Slovakians have realised we're not great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Browney7 wrote: »
    Jesus Christ Dunne!!!

Or Richard to his mates. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

JamBur wrote: »

Yes, save us going 2-1 ahead and losing another lead

Now our long ball system is back. Brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JamBur

Sherifu wrote: »
    I think the Slovakians have realised we're not great.

Very true:) Damn their awareness

This ia gettin hard to watch... one team is as bad as the other.

Whoever wants it more now lads

Commentator: "Kilbane just keeps on going for Ireland". I wish he wouldn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

Its all kicking off in the italy match. players brought off after 15 mins serbia fans going ape sh1t

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭LowOdour

lucky free, but il take it

Advertisement