Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baldoyle floodings?

Options
  • 09-10-2010 12:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hello!

I don't know if this is the right place for this post or if it should go in the north county forum (apologies if it is in the later).

I'm planning to move to Baldoyle shortly, to a house in the Parkvale/Meadowbrook area (just to the east of Seagrange Park) and I'm a little bit worried after reading that parts of Baldoyle have had problems with floodings in the past (and that Seagrange Park is considered to be a floodplain). I know that Bayside station was flooded last week and that it's a common occurrence because of the way it's designed, but I'm not too worried about the station or the Bayside area as long as the station service is not discontinued for several days in a row.

My biggest concern would be floodings in Seagrange Park, as it's very close to the house I want to move to. I've seen satellite images of the park with a few water patches in the southeast corner, but it doesn't look too worrying. Does it get too much worse than that? I know that there is a small river running across the east side of the park, has it ever overflown after several days of rain? The area seems to be around 25-30 years old and I can't see any signs of floodings, but I would also be concerned about standing water on the streets for long periods of time.

I would appreciate any help, thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭conor678

I live in Baldoyle and Seagrange and Medabrooke will never flood barring potential environmental disasters!

Seagrage park just becomes heavily water logged during the winter. It never floods. Bayside Dart station on the other hand floods very irregularly. Can think of only 3 times in the past 5 years it has flooded. The station only floods during short intense periods of heavy rain.

In short Baldoyle only flooded once in the 60's i think and hasn't happened since and won't happen again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Manuito

Thank you, that's the information I was looking for! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

I'd echo what Conor said. I grew up in Bayside (right beside Baldoyle). I've several mates from Meadowbrook/Moyclare and there's never been any trouble with flooding.

When you visit the area you'll get a better appreciation for the difference in levels between the park and the estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

This website is an invaluable tool for flooding information in Ireland.
    http://www.floodmaps.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭highdef

I'm from Baldoyle and since the flood relief scheme was finished, flooding happens much less regularly. The last major flood was June 1993 when a classmate of mine drowned. Grange Road does flood from time to time and a couple of months, some houses on Grange Road at the credit union and also a couple of houses at the bend on Seagrange Road were flooded following downpours. These are are the only remaining spots where there is any real risk of flooding and this is only when there is exceptional rainfall.

Meadowbrook is fine and never really floods, as far as I am aware. It is a few metres higher than Seagrange Park and even when the park flooded completely in 1993, Meadowbrook remained as dry as you could hope for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Grange Road at the credit union only floods because the drains are full of crap and the council never clean them out until the road is like a swimming pool. I think our house flooded once donkeys years ago when the drainage system was in its previous state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Manuito

Thanks again guys. I realise I was not well informed about this, I saw those satellite images of Seagrange Park, read about the floodings at Bayside station and thought that the problem was much worse than what it really seems to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Firehen

I used to live on Seagrange Road, almost right next to the park, and we never had any trouble with floods. The park got seriously waterlogged sometimes, and the station was a pain in the rear when it rained heavily, but we had absolutely no problems with the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 baldres

You don't have to worry about flooding, its the bloody litter thats the problem in Meadowbrook. It's absolutely disgusting..:eek:.when your bin blows over its annoying...but you still have to pick it up!!Who do you expect to do it for you???? Does anybody know if Meadowbrook has a residents association?:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

baldres wrote: »
    You don't have to worry about flooding, its the bloody litter thats the problem in Meadowbrook. It's absolutely disgusting..:eek:.when your bin blows over its annoying...but you still have to pick it up!!Who do you expect to do it for you???? Does anybody know if Meadowbrook has a residents association?:mad:

Eh, if your bin blows over you pick up the rubbish yourself, why wouldn't you?!! It's your rubbish!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 baldres

I know...you would think people would follow that logic but obviously not as there has been a full bin of rubbish spread across the path and road in front of a house in Meadowbrook park for nearly two weeks now. The reason I'm wondering if there is a residents association is so that they can take it up with the residents of the house in question...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

baldres wrote: »
    I know...you would think people would follow that logic but obviously not as there has been a full bin of rubbish spread across the path and road in front of a house in Meadowbrook park for nearly two weeks now. The reason I'm wondering if there is a residents association is so that they can take it up with the residents of the house in question...:(

Well if there's no residents association ring the council?! If they find anything with the owners name on it they'll get fined!

Advertisement