Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

damsel in distress!!

• 09-10-2010 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

boyfriend wears piss pot on harley road king. love to buy helmet for winter, full face etc... which one is any good? doesnt have to be a h.d. one....

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

nah screw full face, I bet he looks proper bad ass with his piss pot :cool:

p.s. if you ever want a spin on a real bike drop me a PM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

o.b wrote: »
    boyfriend wears piss pot on harley road king. love to buy helmet for winter, full face etc... which one is any good? doesnt have to be a h.d. one....

God no.

Things with a harley on them are known generally as muck in the biking world, overpriced and crap.

Here is a list of a few good helmet brands:

Arai,Shoei,Shark,Caberg,Schuberth.

The rule of thumb is the more safety ratings the helmet has the better, its also something you should not skimp on.

Does your boyfriend also wear a bandanna? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 o.b

even the harley bike is known as muck?? full face makes sense during winter, im a lady and generally we do what makes sense!!!:p i love the harley, great feeling behind my man;)

oh!!!! i never skimp on him!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

even the harley bike is known as muck?? full face makes sense during winter, im a lady and generally we do what makes sense!!!:p i love the harley, great feeling behind my man;)
    Especially the bikes.

you dont have to search much on the interwebs to find mocking and jokes about how overpriced , unreliable and crap harley's are compared to other bikes.

I suppose its all about vibrations with you wimmins, even if the vibrations are because the bike is falling apart underneath you.:D

• Advertisement

see the list of brands above, you can't really go wrong with any of them for helmets, full face or other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Potato
    Potato
    Potato
    Potato
    Potato

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

maybe a roof boxer helmet,,bit pricy but best of both worlds :)

Potato
    Potato
    Potato
    Potato
    Potato

FFS pmsl... :D

Isn't harvest season over now? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

According to UK Sharp tests Harley sell two lids. One has 1 star and the other 4. There are plenty of 5 Star helmets out for less then the 4 Star Harley.

The best way to get your BF a lid is to bring him to a local shop with a good selection of lids, get his head measured and then try on several to find one he likes and fells comfortable wearing. You can't buy a helmet for someone without them 1st trying it on to make sure it fits correctly.

If you can't afford the helmet down here you can do all the above and then order off Crossan's in Newry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

hobochris wrote: »
    God no.

Things with a harley on them are known generally as muck in the biking world, overpriced and crap.

.what a crock of ****, pardon my french.

I bought a brand new Harley-branded helmet in the US, less than 2 weeks ago, and it's made by AGV.

As for the bikes, so far it's been more reliable, and rusts less, than a 97 BMW R1100GS, 04R1200GS, 08 K1200GT. Not to mention my 02 Aprilia.

If you don't actually know the facts, please refrain spouting stuff you know nothing about. When you've owned one, hey, give us a call and prove yourself right.

o.b. - good choice - I changed to an RK Custom myself - it's a hoot. As for helmet's, it's more important that it fits properly, not what brand it is. A poorly fitting (expensive) brand helmet is less use than a cheaper brand, but properly sized one. And you'll find that if you try on the same size helmet, across several brands, some will fit, some won't. Some brands use a common shell, and different size linings, so you can't tell by looking. Ditto for helmet shape. I find Arai very narrow, and Shoei too 'bell like' - narrow at the top, and large at the bottom. AGV and Schuberth seem to work for me, as well as Akito. And as for helmet standards, you'd be surprised: expensive or branded doesn't mean anything. There's a lot of 5-star Sharp rated helmets for under 100, whilst 500 stuff doesn't score as high.

My advice ? Take the time, go to a shop, and try them. Make a note of what works. The Bike Show in the NEC is on soon, so why not go for the day, on Ryanair ? Hundred's and hundred's of helmet's for sale, and all sizes there to choose from.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Do you live beside the Sea Galwaytt? You do seem to have rust problems outside of the norm. Or maybe older BMW's suck, I'm not a fan of the newer ones. Either way, can anybody tell me what the new type of Harley with the low MAT black paint all over is? Keep seeing it and I'm interested.

Do you live beside the Sea Galwaytt? You do seem to have rust problems outside of the norm. Or maybe older BMW's suck, I'm not a fan of the newer ones. Either way, can anybody tell me what the new type of Harley with the low MAT black paint all over is? Keep seeing it and I'm interested.

Hi, actually, I don't live beside the sea. The frame paint quality in particular on current generation BMW's is, tbh, poor. I found the 1200GS atrocious. I know someone who had an R1200C and it nearly melted from rust (all the chrome stuff), and BMW replaced it all under warranty. Which is fine, but it doesn't take away from the fact they shouldn't do that in the first place. It's not exactly a €1500 bike.........Panel paint is fine. Cycle parts, e.g. brake rotors and their bolts etc are poor as well. I have a (much) old(-er) Suzuki that hasn't rusted in those areas.

The H-D isn't perfect, believe me, but it's worked out well so far, maintenance wise, reliability-wise, and seem's to suit my riding style better. It's not a garage queen, and I use it every day, winter and summer, and wash it........every few month's. :o

You can get several H-D's in the matt black now: the Nightrain is one, iirc, so it could be anything from an 883, 1200 or 1450/1550.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

galwaytt wrote: »
    .what a crock of ****, pardon my french.

I bought a brand new Harley-branded helmet in the US, less than 2 weeks ago, and it's made by AGV.

As for the bikes, so far it's been more reliable, and rusts less, than a 97 BMW R1100GS, 04R1200GS, 08 K1200GT. Not to mention my 02 Aprilia.

If you don't actually know the facts, please refrain spouting stuff you know nothing about. When you've owned one, hey, give us a call and prove yourself right.

o.b. - good choice - I changed to an RK Custom myself - it's a hoot. As for helmet's, it's more important that it fits properly, not what brand it is. A poorly fitting (expensive) brand helmet is less use than a cheaper brand, but properly sized one. And you'll find that if you try on the same size helmet, across several brands, some will fit, some won't. Some brands use a common shell, and different size linings, so you can't tell by looking. Ditto for helmet shape. I find Arai very narrow, and Shoei too 'bell like' - narrow at the top, and large at the bottom. AGV and Schuberth seem to work for me, as well as Akito. And as for helmet standards, you'd be surprised: expensive or branded doesn't mean anything. There's a lot of 5-star Sharp rated helmets for under 100, whilst 500 stuff doesn't score as high.

My advice ? Take the time, go to a shop, and try them. Make a note of what works. The Bike Show in the NEC is on soon, so why not go for the day, on Ryanair ? Hundred's and hundred's of helmet's for sale, and all sizes there to choose from.

Which H-D dealers do you work in?:D

it could be anything from an 883,

That's it, see one everyday on the way into work. Its a nice looking bike. Looked at the price. Think I'm just going to pick up a new z1000 instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

GOOD GOD!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Hi, actually, I don't live beside the sea. The frame paint quality in particular on current generation BMW's is, tbh, poor. I found the 1200GS atrocious. I know someone who had an R1200C and it nearly melted from rust (all the chrome stuff), and BMW replaced it all under warranty. Which is fine, but it doesn't take away from the fact they shouldn't do that in the first place. It's not exactly a €1500 bike.........Panel paint is fine. Cycle parts, e.g. brake rotors and their bolts etc are poor as well. I have a (much) old(-er) Suzuki that hasn't rusted in those areas.

Sorry for going OT. Maybe they did a Toyota and expanded too quickly or did what Merc did in the late 90s and decided they where over engineering their bikes. But I've seen loads articles where BMW have been slated for reliability and QC on all their recent bikes.

Which H-D dealers do you work in?:D
    None, thank god. Wouldn't fancy trying to keep the doors open in this climate ! Mind you, I used to work in the bike trade in the UK, and was always drawn to Suzuki's myself.
    That's it, see one everyday on the way into work. Its a nice looking bike. Looked at the price. Think I'm just going to pick up a new z1000 instead.
    Nothing wrong with doing that: no comparison really. The 883 is, really, really basic. Looks nice, does the job, and as quick as a.......125 ! Not bad value if you want a H-D, and the Big Twin's are just ott, money-wise. Look nice, too. The Z, gosh, how different could you get ? What sort of price are those, these days ?? I'd love to get a jap bike again, for variety - it's been a while.
    Del2005 wrote: »
    Sorry for going OT. Maybe they did a Toyota and expanded too quickly or did what Merc did in the late 90s and decided they where over engineering their bikes. But I've seen loads articles where BMW have been slated for reliability and QC on all their recent bikes.
    sorry me, went a bit ott myself......:o........true story: I was selling my car a while ago, and two guys came to see it, and arrived on their bikes. One, on an early 90's Pan, and the other on an 08 R12GS. So we chit-chatted about bikes, and the GS owner told me he was selling it: he said he'd never own a BeeEmm outside of warranty. As-is, it had already had numerous things fixed, including 1 (or was it 2 ??:confused: ), gearboxes.

The near-20-yr old Pan hasn't had a spanner laid on it yet. :) You pays your money and you make your choice.................

Ode To The Motorist

Nothing wrong with doing that: no comparison really. The 883 is, really, really basic. Looks nice, does the job, and as quick as a.......125 ! Not bad value if you want a H-D, and the Big Twin's are just ott, money-wise. Look nice, too. The Z, gosh, how different could you get ? What sort of price are those, these days ?? I'd love to get a jap bike again, for variety - it's been a while.

About 11k new. Very very nice engine and gearing for a non race bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

at the risk of stereo typing.... but generally someone who wears a piss pot lid may not be the type to wear a full face. I know this might be a surprise for him, but are you sure he'd wear a full face lid?

Advertisement