Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

excuses yes excuses

Options
  • 09-10-2010 12:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

ok please don't judge me all the perfect people out there cos im not perfect- not even close.
    i want an excuse why i cannot work on friday 29th october, the real reason being that my college friends are having a girly get together for the day and i dont want to miss it.
    can anybody give me a better excuse for my boss?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭chappy

how old are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭derra_121

chappy wrote: »
    how old are you?

I think the 1983 in the OP's name might give it away... Obviously somebody didn't go to college or even school for that matter...DUHHHHH

An OP use the aul classic " My Granny died" always works no one will ever question a death. Although I did use it once to skip work an go to a Dublin match where I just so happened to bump into my boss.. Lucky he laughed it off and said at least I could use the excuse again for the next match (cause she wasn't really dead) ha :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭chappy

derra_121 wrote: »
    I think the 1983 in the OP's name might give it away... Obviously somebody didn't go to college or even school for that matter...DUHHHHH

I was being sarcastic!!!!

Why not just book a holiday day instead of making excuses?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

you still have plenty of time to book it off offically if your company allows as such and keep your mind from melting

• Registered Users Posts: 28,508 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Before you go to too much trouble to reply, have a look back at the OP's previous posts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

ok please don't judge me all the perfect people out there cos im not perfect- not even close.
    i want an excuse why i cannot work on friday 29th october, the real reason being that my college friends are having a girly get together for the day and i dont want to miss it.

FFS..
    Grow up and explain your case to your boss, you'll either get it off or not.. If not you'll probably survive just fine..

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

just take a days annual leave day :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

looksee wrote: »
    Before you go to too much trouble to reply, have a look back at the OP's previous posts.

I didn't recognize the username but I remember the threads alright.

OP, book annual leave, it's not a drama

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

What do you mean an excuse :confused:

Your manager does not need an excuse.

Just book an annual leave day off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Oh yeah!

Can't believe you are still employed.... book a day off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭ilovebiology

You come on boards and ask for a descent excuse for not wanting to attend work?????
    Its people like you that make me sick. There are many people in Ireland who are genuinely unwell, and people like you looking for an excuse not wanting to work is a disgrace, particularly in the current climate. Its people like you that start discrimination against people who are genuinely unwell, as an employer thinks its all fake.
    Grow up and cop on. I really don't care if I'm being harsh but people like you really make me angry :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

ilovebiology Please post only in a helpful manner. Your post was unwarranted. Please read the charter for Work & Jobs before posting again.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

Book a day off, when asked the reason, just shuffle uncomfortably and say 'personal reasons'.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Mashyling

In todays awful recession, employers are expecting more and more out of their staff. More work for less money. If you're one of the masses that this applies to (and you dont take the piss with days off). I think you entitled to give an excuse to have a day with your friends. You could pull a sickie (but then your going to spend all the time previous to that dreaded PHONECALL on the morning of the 29th ), you dont have to produce a doctors cert untill you are out of work for 3 days.

You could always say you have unexpected family commitments (Reunion, wedding etc) that you were not aware of, and have just come to light, so you will need the day.

Offer to work on a Saturday if this is possible to make up for the day taken.

Theres loads of reasons you could use.!!

Good luck, I hope you get the day!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Mashyling wrote: »
    In todays awful recession, employers are expecting more and more out of their staff. More work for less money. If you're one of the masses that this applies to (and you dont take the piss with days off). I think you entitled to give an excuse to have a day with your friends.
    You're not entitled to an excuse. The standard annual leave in Ireland is 20 days a year. That's more than enough to keep for any days off you want. Many employers will even advance you days from next year if you really 'need' another one. If the OP wants a day off, she should ask her employer for it. If the employer is ok with it, she gets it. If her employer needs her in work that day, she'll be told that.

Making up excuses to get off work is something a 16 year old in a summer job does, not something a woman aged 27 does

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Mashyling

I never said anyone was entitled to an excuse, i said that everybody is entitled to a day off. I also mentioned once you are not taking advantage of the days off you are entitled to in a year. You are entitled to take a sick day or personal day if you want out of these 20 days and not have to hand in a doctors cert. So if the Op wants to make up an excuse to use one of these days, why not. Everybody's circumstances are different and everybody has stress at work. I dont agree with anybody just taking days willy nilly. That would be unfair and taking advantage of colleagues who would have to pick up the slack. I am just saying that maybe once in a blue moon you really want a day off, and feel that, especially in with the economic downturn, that you cant just tell your employer, hey i want tomorrow off without supplying a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Mashyling wrote: »
    I never said anyone was entitled to an excuse, i said that everybody is entitled to a day off. I also mentioned once you are not taking advantage of the days off you are entitled to in a year. You are entitled to take a sick day or personal day if you want out of these 20 days and not have to hand in a doctors cert. So if the Op wants to make up an excuse to use one of these days, why not. Everybody's circumstances are different and everybody has stress at work. I dont agree with anybody just taking days willy nilly. That would be unfair and taking advantage of colleagues who would have to pick up the slack. I am just saying that maybe once in a blue moon you really want a day off, and feel that, especially in with the economic downturn, that you cant just tell your employer, hey i want tomorrow off without supplying a reason.
    Expecting 'tomorrow' off is completely unreasonable. Asking for it is not. If you're lucky, your boss will give it to you, but it's not unreasonable of your employer to not give it to you at such short notice. Regardless, the OP is talking about a date that is still more than two weeks away.

You are entitled to the 20 days off outside of sick days. You don't have to produce a doctors cert for a day you book off as part of your annual leave. The 20 days are personal days, and you are entitled to them off. The OP is acting in a completely immature manner

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭i.need.a.job

i just read her other threads. rofl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Actually re-reading some of the OP's other posts, I'd seriously question their authenticity.

I could be wrong, but some of the other posts have to be taking the p&*s.

Advertisement