Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to start?

Options
  • 09-10-2010 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hope this is in the right section.

I am currently running through some ideas in my head about an e-business, the main factor of which is obviously a site! However, I have very limited knowledge of websites and am totally lost as to where to start. I know about domains, hosting etc but have a few simple questions that would love an answer to.

1. How much does a web design generally cost? (simple site, something like <10 pages with simple features such as a forum)

2. If I buy a design, how do I do change things on the site without going to the designer, or if there is a problem would I easily be able to fix it?

3. If I want to code the site myself, where is the best place to start? (learn html, dreamsweaver etc)

Thanks in advance for any answers, and any obvious questions I've missed could you please answer/give advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

As with cars, houses, and indeed everything else, the cost depends on features.

While OK results are available via DIY sites and templates, I'd be worried by the fact that you describe what you're planning as an "eBusiness", implying that the site would be a (or even the) key part of the business.

You can build a site if you spend time and effort learning HTML & CSS, and maybe some JavaScript, however any worthwhile business site would probably require PHP (server-side scripting) & MySQL (database) as well, and would be a massive learning curve / risk if the site is the main portal by which you're planning to do business.

Buying a "design" is only a small part of it, as the site needs to be coded and implemented using the required technologies.

If you want to PM me with a rough outline of what you're planning (discretion assured) I can have a look and give you some idea of what skills you'd need or what would be a reasonable quote if you go down a professional implementation route.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

2. If I buy a design, how do I do change things on the site without going to the designer, or if there is a problem would I easily be able to fix it?

You would need a Content Management System (CMS) - or be able to update the files directly using an editor of some description (notepad, dreamweaver etc). Impossible to say if you could easily fix a problem - depends on the problem.
    3. If I want to code the site myself, where is the best place to start? (learn html, dreamsweaver etc)

If this is for a business and you have no experience, you will most likely be better off leaving this to a professional. It's actually a bit annoying to some professionals when newbies think they can do as good a job as someone who has built a career on their skills.
    Liam Byrne wrote:
    any worthwhile business site would probably require PHP (server-side scripting) & MySQL (database) as well

I presume you mean technologies like PHP and MySQL - just in case the OP gets quotes from vendors using other technologies that are equally as suitable.

Advertisement