Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB ATM crashed and card kept

Options
  • 09-10-2010 1:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭

Earlier today I was using an AIB ATM with another bank's card. I put in my PIN and picked a number to withdraw. Then the screen went blank and a reboot of the computer started. I waited and waited and eventually the system came back up (it's OS/2 Warp which is scary in itself) but no sign of my card being returned. I rang the number for AIB ATM services and their mantra was that faulty cards are destroyed. Despite the fact that my card was not faulty and their machine was the problem I was left hanging.

I legged it down to the nearest branch of my bank and luckily it was still open at 4:30. With no ID but will full information going back 15 years the lady in my bank allowed me to make a cash withdrawal without my card. Full marks to Permanent TSB for this.

If I hadn't been able to make that withdrawal I would have had to go to my kids' creche without funds to pay for the week. I also would have had no money to get food in to feed my kids for the weekend. We have two other accounts but as luck would have it 'er indoors is away for the weekend and has the other two cards with her.

As far as I am concerned AIB are responsible for this f*ck up and I will be raising cain with them. Their attitude was "sorry but tough $hite". I will be making a complaint with AIB. My only decision to make is should I make that complaint through a solicitor or personally. I could have been very financially embarassed this evening if I had been half an hour later using that machine. I would have had to go to a creche who I am currently negotiating payment terms with with no money - hardly a great bargaining position.

I will not be happy with a mere "sorry" and I am willing to go after AIB for the "inconvenience" that they are "sorry for". I now have to wait for a new card and PIN. I will be without a card for this period. And all because I used a machine using an OS that has not been supported by the vendor IBM since 2006! I know that BoI use NT4 ATMs - that's scary enough - but OS2 Warp! ... Really?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭jc1980

Same happened to me at the AIB in Dun Laoghaire on the Friday of a long weekend. Lucky I had the credit card. Rang AIB and yeah, they pretty much told me to get stuffed. The card is in the machine and your not getting it back, I'll cancel it and send you the pin first and then the card. Long long wait for both. Pain in the hole to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 23,518 ✭✭✭✭ted1

what use would a solicter Do? Your over acting. Your not out of pocket so no action will be taking. As far as operating system it makes no difference to the end user.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

@ted1: I'm not out of pocket obviously. But it is sheer luck that I went at a time that my own bank was still open and allowed me withdraw cash without my card. Thanks for your comment. You've been as helpful as an AIB service desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭seabre

Get a Life!!!

These things happen - if staff could open ATMs in secure areas at everyone's beck and call they would leave themselves wide open with regard to security. So your card got swallowed thats a risk everyone takes if they wish to avail of an ATM. My advice to you is if this is such an inconvenience to you then you probably should consider carrying cash at All Times.

And as for the solicitor - the words mountain and molehill spring to mind! If you find a solicitor willing to take this case then you should immediately drop the matter - they'd obviously be so inept they have absolutely no other work on.

Methinks perhaps you harbour a deeper resentment to AIB (probably quite rightly) but this is not the time for a petty attempt at revenge.

methinks you haven't a f*cking clue what you're talking about. Revenge for a deep resentment? WOT!? Go away.

• Advertisement

Believe me I am quite familiar with the "loose the head over a minor issue brigade".

But enjoy your rant - its only a piece of plastic , no one died - oh and no need for obscenities either!

Right. Thanks again for your input. Now kindly **** off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Macros42 wrote: »
    @ted1: I'm not out of pocket obviously. But it is sheer luck that I went at a time that my own bank was still open and allowed me withdraw cash without my card. Thanks for your comment. You've been as helpful as an AIB service desk.

Well if you are not with them as a customer, I dont think you have any sway over them. As a customer, I'd definitely complain about something if I felt it was poor service to me, otherwise how can a service provider (bank) improve a service or eliminate potential issues without feedback?
    In my opinion a bank should listen to any complaint, direct customer or not as that could be future business somehow.
    I'd suggest the OP having alternative means available, but cards swallowed by machines isn't something that I imagine can be resolved quickly
    seabre wrote: »
    Get a Life!!!

These things happen - if staff could open ATMs in secure areas at everyone's beck and call they would leave themselves wide open with regard to security. So your card got swallowed thats a risk everyone takes if they wish to avail of an ATM. My advice to you is if this is such an inconvenience to you then you probably should consider carrying cash at All Times.

Methinks perhaps you harbour a deeper resentment to AIB (probably quite rightly) but this is not the time for a petty attempt at revenge.

seabre wrote: »
    Believe me I am quite familiar with the "loose the head over a minor issue brigade".

But enjoy your rant - its only a piece of plastic , no one died - oh and no need for obscenities either!

Telling someone to get a life is hardly constructive but then you suggest they not issue obscenities themself?
    Whats your experience of minor issue brigade? have you worked on the other end?
    I think if a customer has an issue and it leaves them in a bad situation, thats possibly inconvenience they dont need, it might not seem important to someone answering that query, but unless you put yourself in their shoes? I think customer complaints should be dealt with, compensation for this, no, a sincere apology, why not?

hehehe

I just realised that I posted this in CI. This was intended for R&R. We're all winners tho. Especially when it's moved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

The aIb were doing you a favor letting you use their machine to take money from your account in the tsb which was still open and you want to sue them because they are not perfect?!?

• Advertisement

foggy_lad wrote: »
    The aIb were doing you a favor letting you use their machine to take money from your account in the tsb which was still open and you want to sue them because they are not perfect?!?

Eh what? they aren't doing the guy a favour, they don't do favours, they provide a service, for which there is likely a charge in some way shape or form.
    As most atm card holders in this country can withdraw cash from other banks machines here and abroad, I'd assume there is more going on then just favours, I don't know the ins and outs of it but I'm sure it's more along the lines of inter bank agreements, probably EU rules about it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Happened to me with a galway branch, there was a slight crack in the card but every other ATM i've ever used worked fine with it. I got the card back (made them get it out there and then) but the way yer wan accused me of "taking down the ATM" :pac:

Happened to me with a galway branch, there was a slight crack in the card but every other ATM i've ever used worked fine with it. I got the card back (made them get it out there and then) but the way yer wan accused me of "taking down the ATM" :pac:

You sound like you were at a branch, the Op seems like they were at a hole in the wall were staff couldn't be collared, so to speak.
    If my card was swallowed and there was nothing wrong with, I'd be lodging a complaint if they were dissagreeable or suggesting I was at error if my card was in mint (new) condition which it is (but yours was cracked).
    I understand there might be security issues but surely access to swallowed cards would be seperate to the cash section??
    I wouldn't be going in and losing the head with them, its not their fault personally, but if they were dissagreeable I would suggest to them politely but very firmly that its hardly the way to deal with a customer complaint/issue (and if it's not my bank or branch, I'm still a customer if I'm using their facilities, they are hardly letting me use them for free)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Machines brake sometimes, that's just life. Getting your solicitor involved would be stupid, and a waste of money. You'll get you card back next week, so what exactly do you think would happen if you were to get a solicitor? This is not a consumer issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭chappy

op just wondering what you think a staff member at the end of the phone should have done for you?

other then explain the options to you there is not really a lot they could do?I can understand if it was an ATM in a branch where there was staff present but other then that there is no other option available to the customer service team?was the person rude or just unable to help you?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Evelynmc

S*** happens...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

Don't permanent tsb have a facility for customers that you can register for special pin which allows you to withdraw up to €100 from their ATMs in the event you loose your card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

As far as I am concerned AIB are responsible for this f*ck up and I will be raising cain with them. Their attitude was "sorry but tough $hite". I will be making a complaint with AIB. My only decision to make is should I make that complaint through a solicitor or personally. I could have been very financially embarassed this evening if I had been half an hour later using that machine. I would have had to go to a creche who I am currently negotiating payment terms with with no money - hardly a great bargaining position.?
    I will not be happy with a mere "sorry" and I am willing to go after AIB for the "inconvenience" that they are "sorry for". I now have to wait for a new card and PIN. I will be without a card for this period.?
    In all honesty, what do you think AIB should give you as compensation? Vast sums of money? What do you think bringing a solicitor into the equation will achieve? Things do go wrong, unfortunately. Hardware fails, machines crash. No bank offers 100% availability of either your ATM card or an ATM machine. You should never rely solely on one bank card at any one time. Personally I'd rather the ATM kept my card if it crashed rather than have it spit it out to the next customer who came up to it after rebooting!
    And all because I used a machine using an OS that has not been supported by the vendor IBM since 2006! I know that BoI use NT4 ATMs - that's scary enough - but OS2 Warp! ... Really?
    OS is nothing to do with it. Sporadic reboots is most likely down to dying hardware. The software used by the banks is extremely heavily tested, mainly the reason it's so old and also the reason they are reluctant to move away from solid platforms. If it ain't broke, don't fix.

I don't know what you find scary about it - I'd hate for you to find out what the banks entire backend stuff is run on!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Kensington wrote: »
    I don't know what you find scary about it - I'd hate for you to find out what the banks entire backend stuff is run on!

IBM AS400 and Tandem Mainframes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Sound Bite

Op these things happen & sure its a mighty inconvenience but not solicitor compliant material. TBH I think your having a huge over reaction, especially when you didnt suffer any loss or embarrassment.

It would be much more in your line to thank the service you got from PTSB. Without ID or a card, they could have refused you funds point blank. Instead, the cashier had the decency to help you out here and bothered to indenitify you by asking you questions re the account operation for the past 15 years. She didn't have to do this at all.

If it were me (& I'd imagine others would be of similar thinking), I'd be dropping in with a small box of chocolates for her & sending a small thank you note for the attention of her boss. She saved you your embarrassment at the creche....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭scorpioishere

You can write a book about your story, no money for creche, no money to buy food for kids etc etc. You are just over reacting, these things happenned. It happenned to me too but what can you do, you can't live a perfect life 100%. I think you are just looking for more money from the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

wow this is a complete overreaction to a troll

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

@caspa307 If you have a problem with a post, then please use the Report Post functionality instead of clogging up the thread.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Earlier today I was using an AIB ATM with another bank's card. I put in my PIN and picked a number to withdraw. Then the screen went blank and a reboot of the computer started.

$hit happens. It's happened to me before. It was a minor annoyance, not the end of the world. I didn't give out to anybody, I didn't start a thread on boards about it, I didn't get hostile with anybody trying to help me on said thread.
    I waited and waited and eventually the system came back up (it's OS/2 Warp which is scary in itself) but no sign of my card being returned.

What has the OS got to do with things? I really hope, for your sake that you don't work in IT. I mean are you really just looking for things to complain about?
    For example, many bank installations, especially Automated Teller Machines, run OS/2 with a customized user interface
    Source
    AIB's old ATM's use OS/2, their new ones are based on XP. This is pretty much the same as every other bank in the world. You do realise AIB (like every other bank) don't actually physically make the devices themselves?
    I rang the number for AIB ATM services and their mantra was that faulty cards are destroyed.
    Of course they destroy them. If they gave it back to you, and once again you had it swallowed at another machine, then you would be threatening to sue them all over again.
    Despite the fact that my card was not faulty and their machine was the problem I was left hanging.

What makes it think that it was the machine? In all likelihood, it was your card. The machine was working perfectly until you came along. The machine will crash when something unexpected happens. Typically, this is someone tampering with the device or inserting a dirty/damaged card.
    If I hadn't been able to make that withdrawal I would have had to go to my kids' creche without funds to pay for the week. I also would have had no money to get food in to feed my kids for the weekend. We have two other accounts but as luck would have it 'er indoors is away for the weekend and has the other two cards with her.
    Oh no, shock horror, you have never heard of internet banking? What about Standing Order's? Direct Debits? You should try them out sometime.

What if you had lost your wallet? Would you not be in the same boat? Would you still try to blame that on the banks as well?
    As far as I am concerned AIB are responsible for this f*ck up and I will be raising cain with them. Their attitude was "sorry but tough $hite". I will be making a complaint with AIB. My only decision to make is should I make that complaint through a solicitor or personally. I could have been very financially embarassed this evening if I had been half an hour later using that machine. I would have had to go to a creche who I am currently negotiating payment terms with with no money - hardly a great bargaining position.
    It is far more likely that you brought down their machine than their machine swallowing your card for the heck of it. I strongly urge you to get a solicitor. They have been having a hard time of it lately and need all the work they can get. Perhaps, while your at it, you can include God in the suit, as he obviously shares a lot of the blame here.
    I will not be happy with a mere "sorry" and I am willing to go after AIB for the "inconvenience" that they are "sorry for".
    Not be happy? What do you want - a go off the branch manager's eldest daughter? YOU DESERVE NOTHING OTHER THAN TO BE LAUGHED AT. Why don't you apologise to them for bringing down their machine? Why not apologise to other bank customers, as it's complaints like yours that cause so much of the bureaucracy in banking.
    I now have to wait for a new card and PIN. I will be without a card for this period.
    Oh. My. God. What. A. Disaster. You complain about ATM's using technology from the nineties, yet you are the one relying on cash?
    And all because I used a machine using an OS that has not been supported by the vendor IBM since 2006! I know that BoI use NT4 ATMs - that's scary enough - but OS2 Warp! ... Really?
    Again, complaining about something you know nothing about. Good for you.

In short:
    AIB did not charge you for this service. You bank should not have charged you for this service. You broke the machine, and somehow, it's AIB's fault??? And you want MORE than an apology??? I am not even going to comment any further on you BS regarding operating systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

dudara wrote: »
    Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

@caspa307 If you have a problem with a post, then please use the Report Post functionality instead of clogging up the thread.

dudara

no problems

Right. Thanks again for your input. Now kindly **** off.

Having read ther rest of the threads here I can only say in response to the above: "Told Ya!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Seen an ATM reboot about twice in my life.
    You'd be unlucky to be using it when this happenes but realy, get over it.

I don't see the issue with the operating system.
    It may be old, but it's well tested and it works.

Newer isn't always better.

I worked in a hotel not so long ago and we used Windows 3.1 on the reception computer.
    Was reliable and worked fine.

And banks need even more reliable and better tested systems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

dotsman wrote: »
    What do you want - a go off the branch manager's eldest daughter?

that'd do for me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

So you really have no contingency plan to feed your kids? What if you lost your card or the ATM network went down?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

op what exactly do you expect aib to do?

Advertisement