Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB ATM crashed and card kept

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭scorpioishere

3DataModem wrote: »
    So you really have no contingency plan to feed your kids? What if you lost your card or the ATM network went down?
    The government is here to look after those who are in difficulties.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

ted1 wrote: »
    As far as operating system it makes no difference to the end user.

It clearly made a significant difference to the end user in this case (it crashed, for Jaysus' sake).
    foggy_lad wrote: »
    The aIb were doing you a favor letting you use their machine to take money from your account in the tsb which was still open and you want to sue them because they are not perfect?!?

There's no "favour" involved. Banks don't do "favours". They allow customers of other banks to use their ATMs as the other banks allow their customers to use their ATMs in turn.
    dotsman wrote: »
    What makes it think that it was the machine? In all likelihood, it was your card. The machine was working perfectly until you came along. The machine will crash when something unexpected happens. Typically, this is someone tampering with the device or inserting a dirty/damaged card.

You clearly haven't a bollix what you're talking about. The idea of an ATM actually crashing because someone inserts a 'dirty/damaged' card is ridiculous beyond serious discussion. Bear in mind the likelihood of one of possibly thousands of users per day being in possession of an ATM card in less than ideal condition. Inability to deal with unexpected input is a serious flaw in design of any automated system, and were this the cause of the OP's particular problem, should be investigated and rectified ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

FruitLover wrote: »
    It clearly made a significant difference to the end user in this case (it crashed, for Jaysus' sake).

There's no "favour" involved. Banks don't do "favours". They allow customers of other banks to use their ATMs as the other banks allow their customers to use their ATMs in turn.

Machines crash/reboot, it happens. Bad luck on the OP to be using the machine at the time. Perhaps it was a fault with the OP's card which caused the crash.........not blaming the OP.

Machines crash, **** happens etc however
    I think the OP's main issue is that he cannot get his card back, even now or after the weekend had passed. The bank staff were very fast to say it would be destroyed leaving the OP with a wait of a few weeks for a new card from his own bank.

I know the issue you have OP and have been there before, no cash available for whatever reason over the weekend. I usually approached a friend/relative to tide me over for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

FruitLover wrote: »
    You clearly haven't a bollix what you're talking about. The idea of an ATM actually crashing because someone inserts a 'dirty/damaged' card is ridiculous beyond serious discussion. Bear in mind the likelihood of one of possibly thousands of users per day being in possession of an ATM card in less than ideal condition. Inability to deal with unexpected input is a serious flaw in design of any automated system, and were this the cause of the OP's particular problem, should be investigated and rectified ASAP.
    I'm afraid you are the one talking bollix in this case.

Why are you assuming the machine crashed accidentally? It is a security measure that an ATM machine swallows any cards that are regarded as defective. Likewise, a reboot is used to ensure that the system hasn't been tampered with in any way. It is not a serious flaw in the design - it is a very specific necessary feature of the design.

Can I suggest you find out what you are talking about before you post here?

Advertisement