Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Terrible case negligent parenting

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

slarkin123 wrote: »
    Where was the father.

is there one? or many?

how could she do that to her baby? it's beyond belief how anyone could do that to their child. it sickens me these types of people can become parents!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

A man is in prison today for 45 days for being unable to pay a fine for leaving a cardboard box outside a bottle bank. He disposed of his empties in the bottle bank and left the box. 150e fine. Unemployed plumber wrote to the DoJ asking for lienency (sp) and got no reply. Hit with larger fine, couldn't pay. Garda turned up at his door and brought him to prison.

This woman gets probation.

This country is ****ed up beyond belief. Literally beyond belief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

invisable wrote: »
    unless u know what happened here dont put negative replys pls
    While I agree there are a lot of "experts" here (the "You need a licence" line - can someone come up with something new? I'm not having a go at anyone in particular but it's tiresome to see that trotted out over and over again) and a lot of assumptions being made, and the loan parent benefits references are hardly necessary (despite the concern for the children expressed here, they're simultaneously being referred to collectively as a cash cow) none of the above takes away from the fact that it is a terribly sad case and irresponsible parenting, and people are surely allowed say that without your permission?

Forced sterilisation though would set an extremely dangerous precedent, IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Just pointing out that the car seat was in the sitting room, not in the car.

Unfortunately I know a lot of people who leave a sleeping child in the car seat (in the house) for long periods so as not to risk waking the child up. I'm guessing they wouldn't do that if they knew the choice was waking and crying v death. Having been born at 13 weeks premature, this baby was at increased risk of death from such treatment - I'm sure loads of parents get away with doing this without having their babies die on them. Hopefully the message will spread.

No one has children for the money. I don't know of very many millionaires who got rich by having 12 kids and investing the children's allowance. People like this woman have children because they take risks due to an addiction, or because they are in unhealthy relationships or because they are simply careless. There aren't too many documented cases of women who have children for the purpose of later killing them. Whatever this woman's crimes or offences (and she was clearly neglectful, I'm not disputing that), she lost a daughter and will be mourning for her. I feel sorry for her. Not as much as I do for her baby, but still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Just pointing out that the car seat was in the sitting room, not in the car.

Unfortunately I know a lot of people who leave a sleeping child in the car seat (in the house) for long periods so as not to risk waking the child up. I'm guessing they wouldn't do that if they knew the choice was waking and crying v death. Having been born at 13 weeks premature, this baby was at increased risk of death from such treatment - I'm sure loads of parents get away with doing this without having their babies die on them. Hopefully the message will spread.

No one has children for the money. I don't know of very many millionaires who got rich by having 12 kids and investing the children's allowance. People like this woman have children because they take risks due to an addiction, or because they are in unhealthy relationships or because they are simply careless. There aren't too many documented cases of women who have children for the purpose of later killing them. Whatever this woman's crimes or offences (and she was clearly neglectful, I'm not disputing that), she lost a daughter and will be mourning for her. I feel sorry for her. Not as much as I do for her baby, but still.

But it's clearly not just a case of a usually diligent parent making a silly mistake is it? That could be forgiven and most people would have some sympathy in that case.

However, any parent who thinks it's ok to leave her six children alone to fend for themselves whilst they go boozing (especially a very premature baby, much more at risk of cot Sudden Infant Death Syndrome) is selfish, irresponsible and neglectful in the extreme.
    I'm not sure why such a parent would garner any sympathy from anyone. I guess now at least the loss of her children means she can go out and booze at will now without the irritation of having to change a nappy once every few days, or feeding a crying baby when she's managed to drag her hungover ass out of bed, although Judging by the dehydration apparant in this poor innocent little mite, I'd say drinking was a luxury more afforded to the mother than her baby.

She may not have had this child with the sole intention of killing her, but she did little to prevent her death nonetheless.

I will, however, agree with the point you make about people being accused of procreating for money. There may be cases, but I certainly don't believe that monetary gain is a factor in the vast majority of births. More so just bad choices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

But it's clearly not just a case of a usually diligent parent making a silly mistake is it? That could be forgiven and most people would have some sympathy in that case.

However, any parent who thinks it's ok to leave her six children alone to fend for themselves whilst they go boozing (especially a very premature baby, much more at risk of cot Sudden Infant Death Syndrome) is selfish, irresponsible and neglectful in the extreme.
    Agreed, but...
    I'm not sure why such a parent would garner any sympathy from anyone.
    I'm not sure why they wouldn't tbh - if they are truly remorseful (not that it mitigates in the slightest what has happened).
    I guess now at least the loss of her children means she can go out and booze at will now without the irritation of having to change a nappy once every few days, or feeding a crying baby when she's managed to drag her hungover ass out of bed
    That's just being presumptuous in fairness - for all you know, she could be trying to get help now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Dudess wrote: »

That's just being presumptuous in fairness - for all you know, she could be trying to get help now.

In my eyes, help should have been sought before she left six minors she was soley responsible for, to fend for themselves.
    I may be being presumptuous, but (in my opinion), I doubt this tragedy of her own making will change what I believe will probably have been an ongoing lifestyle. In fact, I'd wager she'll hit the booze even heavier and procreate again in the future.

My mam was a foster carer for many years and I've seen children like the ones involved in this story come through her home time and time again. The parents involved rarely, if ever, change or get help.

I get genuinely upset at cases like these and my sympathies will always lie with the children. Adults are free to make their own choices. The children are the ones most affected by those choices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I have a 3 weeks old baby and this really upset me.

15 years in jail sounds too light for this.

If I caused a death in work by not following health and safety law, I'd get charged with manslaughter, but this person lets a baby suffer and die in her house and get nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

That is horrible and disgusting! I get so angry at stuff like this 15 years is stupid :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭sophia25

Everyone has sympathy for the children and rightly so, they are not being shown maturity, responsibility or love. How can these children then go on to show this to their children?? Perhaps the Mother of these children did not get shown these things when she was a child. Perhaps she has never had the chances in life you and I have had and then her actions directly lead to the death of this poor baby. If we really care about the fate of these babies, perhaps we should be more concerned that we create a more just Society. What angers me the most is people's responses are the child benefit should be cut. Is it a child's fault a baby is born into a family like this, should we as a Society punish the baby for the "crimes" of their parents?? Do you think depriving parents of money will somehow benefit a child? Surely we should be thinking of more just and humane ways of ensuring no child will grow up in such a disadvantaged way. The usual response of cutting welfare to the parents does nothing to help children disadvantaged by the lottery of birth and just ensures the injustices are ingrained and replicated for generations to come. If we really care about the fate of these children, we will try to ensure a disenfranchised, disadvantaged subclass can be allowed to fester in such an unequal and unjust Society. Do you care enough about these babies to ensure every child is born into a fair Society?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Hi

I won't say much because Boards is barely anonomous........ but i kinda know this lady. I have spent time in her house. I met the child, and her other children.

I have personal knowledge of this incident, and 18 months probation is a joke!

there are several lies in her story (included in the story quoted on page one) which make her out to be even less culpable than she was!

I realise for legal reasons i won't really be able to say much as this is from a court case, but seriously, this lady is a disgrace!

Another point to be made here is there were many occasions that this lady's children should;ve been taken from her before.. and it makes me so so sad to think that the decision to leave the kids with her robbed that little child of a life :(

Just to be clear, the infant was still alive when this lady arrived home with the barman.
    The child didn't die while the 12 year old was in charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 invisable

Dudess wrote: »
    While I agree there are a lot of "experts" here (the "You need a licence" line - can someone come up with something new? I'm not having a go at anyone in particular but it's tiresome to see that trotted out over and over again) and a lot of assumptions being made, and the loan parent benefits references are hardly necessary (despite the concern for the children expressed here, they're simultaneously being referred to collectively as a cash cow) none of the above takes away from the fact that it is a terribly sad case and irresponsible parenting, and people are surely allowed say that without your permission?

Forced sterilisation though would set an extremely dangerous precedent, IMO.

im not saying you need to ask for my permission...i know this case very well...b4 the baby died...r.i.p little katie...your brothers and sisters miss u v much...always remembered never forgotten xxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Utterly disgraceful sentencing, prison should be mandatory for such cases

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

MrStuffins wrote: »

You quoted me and added that :confused:

You seem to be a local and know people involved.
    Yep, papers do lie, I just got my info from the article

Happy to be corrected if the paper is incorrect, all I did was copy and paste it to boards

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭dezzyd

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Hi

I won't say much because Boards is barely anonomous........ but i kinda know this lady. I have spent time in her house. I met the child, and her other children.

I have personal knowledge of this incident, and 18 months probation is a joke!

Another point to be made here is there were many occasions that this lady's children should;ve been taken from her before.. and it makes me so so sad to think that the decision to leave the kids with her robbed that little child of a life :(

I have to ask - if you were aware of the situation with this lady and her kids, did you ever do something about it?
    I am not having a go at you, but I am curious. If it was me I would have done whatever I could

You quoted me and added that :confused:

You seem to be a local and know people involved.
    Yep, papers do lie, I just got my info from the article

Happy to be corrected if the paper is incorrect, all I did was copy and paste it to boards

I wasn't having a go at you by the way.

The paper didn't lie as such. but i do know the lady, i do know people who are VERY connected to this case, who were in the court on the day.... and it is not the paper that is lying!

I really wish i could say what i want to because it makes me feel sick, but i can't :(
    dezzyd wrote: »
    [/I][/B]

I have to ask - if you were aware of the situation with this lady and her kids, did you ever do something about it?

Not fully at the time no. Never thought it could be as bad as it was.
    I am not having a go at you, but I am curious. If it was me I would have done whatever I could

Agreed. But i know that people did do something. And in the end nothing came of it :(

Cool, thanks MrStuffins for clarifying

Often the locals know a lot more then ever gets reported in the national papers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 catspajamas

So sad - know any parent can get stressed - mother myself - and we all need "down time"
    but there appears to be clear evidence of long term neglect here
    other kids should be removed from her care at a minimum. poor babies
    so many out there wanting to be parents- that can't & somehow people like this end up with 6 kids? :mad::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

Hold yer horses folks.

The new buggies and shít out nowadays, the car seat doubles as the main seat for the baby, this comes on and off depending on whether the baby is going in the buggy or the car so sometimes it is a genuine accident.

However, babies need regular changing, feeding & attention and it looks as though these parents checked neither so yet again, we've found people who don't deserve a pet dog let alone to be blessed with a baby.

• Advertisement

Yep, any parent can have a night out or needs time away if depressed. All understandable. Post natal depression is an issue and help is there although I don't see boozing and bringing the barman home as a solution.
    But realy an infant who is 13 weeks premature needs utmost care, as does any infant.

I don't care if you live in the smallest village in Ireland in rural ballygobackwards out whest, you can still get a babystitter, it's incredibly easy to get a trusted neighbor in any area of Ireland to babysit.

But this "mother" left 6 children including a 13 week premature infant in charge of a 12 year old.
    Came home drunk and never removed the infant from the child seat. And the infant died that night.

The article shows the infant wasn't cared for and was dehydrated.
    Makes me mad, 18 months probation and who knows what will happen the other 5 children? Taken in care? Split up? I honestly don't know, it wasn't reported.

Makes me sad firstly of course :(
    Not a fit mother and I hope this haunts her for the rest of her life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 invisable

Yep, any parent can have a night out or needs time away if depressed. All understandable. Post natal depression is an issue and help is there although I don't see boozing and bringing the barman home as a solution.
    But realy an infant who is 13 weeks premature needs utmost care, as does any infant.

I don't care if you live in the smallest village in Ireland in rural ballygobackwards out whest, you can still get a babystitter, it's incredibly easy to get a trusted neighbor in any area of Ireland to babysit.

But this "mother" left 6 children including a 13 week premature infant in charge of a 12 year old.
    Came home drunk and never removed the infant from the child seat. And the infant died that night.

The article shows the infant wasn't cared for and was dehydrated.
    Makes me mad, 18 months probation and who knows what will happen the other 5 children? Taken in care? Split up? I honestly don't know, it wasn't reported.

Makes me sad firstly of course :(
    Not a fit mother and I hope this haunts her for the rest of her life.

the babysitter was younger than 12 ...paper got it wrong...

Advertisement