Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADSL Splitter Filter

Options
  • 09-10-2010 1:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭

I got a ADSL Splitter Filter for downstairs, but I have a problem. When I use the home phone it disconnects me from the net, then I have to reconnect manually.
    Weather someone calls or we use the phone we lose the net. I got it in BNQ, could it be a crap one, or are they all the same? Anyway I can sort this out, why is it doing it, any help would be cool, cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Make sure every device (phone, skybox etc) has a filter, it could also be a faulty one, no harm in replacing it. Contact Your Isp, they'll send u another

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I had a similar problem once, it turned out to be the filter was on the modem instead of the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭coolpix23

I did support for eircom broadband but this should help any way.

Two things pop out... Splitter/Filter is gone or you have a wireless home phone base station sitting beside the WiFi router/modem and there's interference between the two.

First thing. The technical bit. Voice is low frequency so to put broadband on the same line, for every non broadband device like a phone/sky/ PHONE WATCH you put a filter on to stop the spurious noise from that interfering with broadband which you run at higher frequencies.

First. Do you have "Phone Watch" or a monitored alarm from a different company? If it's one that uses the mobile system it's not a problem obviously. If it uses the land line it could well be a problem.

Two things with that. When I left eircom 18mnts ago they were automaticaly putting a filter on the phone watch wireing in the house. So even if you have phone watch and it's pretty new it should be OK. Also phone watch shouldn't knock you off, usualy the symptom of phone watch being a problem is really really really rubbish speed. Bad news, when I was there they were charging €127 to come out and put a filter on. Moving to another provider didn't help because the problem wasn't sorted...same wireing.

ALWAYS test things on the main phone socket. It's the one that eircom put in. Not an extension socket. I repeat not an extension. I worked for a UK ISP, there was an agent who just couldn't trouble shoot WiFi, if it came up, 'connect to the main phone point and ring back'. In your case it might be reasonable to ask you to do that so cut them off before you ring!

OK First Disconnect everything. Phones in extension sockets, Sky, Xbox, router/modem. All the filters/splitters. If you use a wireless hand set at home turn off the base station and the hand sets and just in case move them as far away as possible.

On the main phone point plug the router/modem in and connect. Ring your land line from your mobile. Nothing should happen.

Now plug in the splitter in the main phone point! Plug the router/modem in and connect. Make sure the modem is in the broadband socket of the splitter! Ring your land line from a mobile. Do you get knocked off?

If you get knocked off here it probably is something with the splitter/filter.

Next connect a wired phone hand set to the splitter. Try ringing in from your mobile. Try ringing out from your land line. If you get kicked off here it's probably still the splitter/filter.

If you don't loose broadband at that step it's probably that you are using a wireless home phone. All is not lost.

Change the wired hand set for the wireless phone basestation/handeset combo.

Do you have the wireless phone base station and the WiFi router/modem in the same window? most people do. Simply putting one on the floor often solves the problem.

If you have an extension point put the wireless phone base station on that point,keep the broadnand router/modem on the main phone point, phones aren't as sensitive as broadband.

There is a 3rd option - changing the default channel on the router/modem. It's simple to do but I'd prefere if you ring you're ISP for that.

Patrick

as I said above
    ALWAYS test things on the main phone socket. It's the one that eircom put in. Not an extension socket. I repeat not an extension. I worked for a UK ISP, there was an agent who just couldn't trouble shoot WiFi, if it came up, 'connect to the main phone point and ring back'. In your case it might be reasonable to ask you to do that so cut them off before you ring!
    they won't stand over internal wireing and an ISP's agent could use that to get you off the phone

Advertisement