Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 amp table light

Options
  • 09-10-2010 3:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi folks,

This issue has been driving me crazy. :confused::confused:

I have 2 bedside lights that are 5 amp, 3 pin, fuseless lights. The bulbs both went within a week or so of each other, so i replaced them but nothing happened. So i replaced them again , and yet again nothing happened.

I had never seen this type of plug before they were installed and i haven't a clue what could be up with them.

Please help!

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ShamFeen

Is anything tripped at the fuseboard. Could be a loose connection at lamp, plugtop, socket ,switch or fuseboard. If they're edison screw lamps make sure the contacts in the lamp holder are making a good connection with the lamp, esp the centre contact as sometimes this gets pushed down when a bulb is overscrewed. BE CAREFUL make sure power is off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

tattoo wrote: »
    Hi folks,

This issue has been driving me crazy. :confused::confused:

I have 2 bedside lights that are 5 amp, 3 pin, fuseless lights. The bulbs both went within a week or so of each other, so i replaced them but nothing happened. So i replaced them again , and yet again nothing happened.

I had never seen this type of plug before they were installed and i haven't a clue what could be up with them.

Please help!

Cheers

Have you any pictures of the plugs that you have? It seems a bit unlikely that there isn't at least a 3 a fuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Manufacturers/Telco_White/Plug_Tops_2/index.html
    is this them?
    what type of bulb are you using?,if there screw in,are they tightened enough
    is there power to the socket outlet?,you could remove plug and fit it to a radio to eliminate faulty light fittings
    how do you switch lights on?is there a wall switch or is there a switch on the fitting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

Have you any pictures of the plugs that you have? It seems a bit unlikely that there isn't at least a 3 a fuse.

they're not fused

must be something simple like a switch off or an rcbo tripped if two are giving trouble

or even bulbs not tightened if ES

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭tattoo

Meercat, thats them....

I'll try putting the plug onto another appliance, never thought of that.

Thanks lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

They sound like 5A sockets - they're only used on lighting circuits, for remote switching.

Is there a light switch in the room that you don't know what it switches? Maybe try flicking all the light switches on and off...

BTW you shouldn't put anything but lights onto them, becuase as you've noticed there's no fuse, and it's unlikely to have a RCBO protecting it, and is most probably wired in 1.5mm2 cable which is quite light, so there could be a large current draw problem. Also, there may not be an earth

Dardania wrote: »
    They sound like 5A sockets - they're only used on lighting circuits, for remote switching.

Is there a light switch in the room that you don't know what it switches? Maybe try flicking all the light switches on and off...

BTW you shouldn't put anything but lights onto them, becuase as you've noticed there's no fuse, and it's unlikely to have a RCBO protecting it, and is most probably wired in 1.5mm2 cable which is quite light, so there could be a large current draw problem. Also, there may not be an earth

-should have rcd or rcbo(wiring rules)

-should be earthed

-ocpd(mcb/rcbo) should protect against possible overload

M cebee wrote: »
    -should have rcd or rcbo(wiring rules)

-should be earthed

-ocpd(mcb/rcbo) should protect against possible overload

i was more concerned with the current draw down a 1.5mm cable, but you're correct, there's probably a 10A MCB feeding which would prevent a 3kW panel heater

mcbs/rcbo's at DB protect 'final circuit' cables

ie the 1.5's

Correct, but don't forget this a 5A socket with upstream protection by a 10A MCB- one could easily draw over 5A if the plug was for example put onto a powerstrip

• Advertisement

yes -there is a danger of overheating at the plug/socket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I dont think its a bad suggestion to put the 5a plug onto a radio and use to test, i dont think they are going to put it onto a power strip and start loading it up. We hope anyway. If radio works then its likely the bulbs are not being screwed in enough, sometimes they seem to be in fully but are not. Or the contact at the bottom of where bulb screws in is bent down a bit too far.

Advertisement