Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

axes would you bring one

Options
  • 09-10-2010 4:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

hi all

So i have it in my head to hike the wicklow way solo in november and i have mentioned the idea to a few mates so as to make all the nessary prep for the trip and one of my mates suggested i should bring an axe with me for chopping fire wood so as to have a real fire.I was just going to bring a little MSR stove i have but the idea of a fire after a long hike is nice. Would you be willing to take a small axe on such a long hike or is it a mad idea? to much weight or should I bring one?

The second question is where do you get a good axe from cause GOD, 53 Degrees,Millets and Snow and Rock dont sell them? Do i go to B&Q or Woodies ? Is there anyone out there who is into bushcraft that could help me?I am looking for a small forestry axe.

Thanks Larr3y

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Whitehawk

if you want a axe you can get one in places like B&Q or hardware shops!

TBH i dont see the point in bringing a axe - there will be lost of dead wood in a forest you can just pick up if you staying there for 1 night, a axe is only good for cutting would up to a certen size after that you need a saw! really its all just more weight you need to carry, also if you dont know how to use axe right you can hurt your self. i know someone that put one in there leg. if you on the size of a MT. this is not good at all!! we where camping close to houses and are first aid trained and still it was hard for us to treat him.

Really you dont need a axe. carry up like a fire log each they are light and you can then grab wood from around the area to make it last longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Yeh a good axe would be handy for knocking up some firewood, but you should first check if you are permitted to light a campfire where you are going, some places do not allow this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 luciusesox

If I was camping for a couple of days I would take an axe but if I was walking/hiking weight would be a key factor for me. An axe is great for splitting large bits of wood (which you are unlikely to do for a small one person fire) and building substantial wooden structures (again, which you are not going to be doing).

I'd take a folding saw instead of the axe (you can get them cheap in most DIY stores) and also a decent knife. With this combo you can cut up pieces of deadwood that are too large (with the saw) and split smaller logs with the knife (look up battening with a knife).

Axes by their nature are heavy - be nice to yourself and leave the axe. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

axe_500.jpg

This little beauty lives in my glove box. I have taken it camping but never hiking. I've just put in on the scales and it is weighing about 560g with the cover. It's a fantastic tool but as previous posters mentioned a good quality folding saw would probably be more suitable for your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 larr3y

Thank for the advice went to B&Q got a 20 euro axe not as good as the Fiskars one but half the price.The Fiskars ones are professional tools a little over my budget for something that will only see a couple of outings a year.

I am now not planning on taking the axe but it will come in useful on other trips i am sure.

While I was in B&Q i looked for a saw and didnt see any that where suitable only bush saw really no folding ones.

would anyone know where i could buy a suitable saw.

Found these on youtube (Ray mears talking about axes if any one cares)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tUUctg6dfk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LrkC3aS3gA&feature=related

might help prevent some future accident.

• Advertisement
Advertisement