Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gfx card upgrade

Options
  • 09-10-2010 5:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭

Hey there!

I am wanting to get rid of my 3 year old 8800 gtx 768mb card and upgrade (Paid quite allot for this in the day!)

What I am here asking is what can I get that will give me better performance today? I mean the 8800 was top of the lien when I bought it and I paid if I remember correctly about 700 bucks for it. Surely that means I could now 3 years later get a card that would be better then it for far less?

I hear good things about the 460's and after lookign around for a bit foudn this on scan:
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/1GB-Gigabyte-GTX-460-OC-3600MHz-GDDR5-GPU-715MHz-Shader-Clock-1430MHz-336-Cores-DL-DVI-mHDMI

What can you guys tell me about it? Would it work better then my current card? is it worth the ~200 bucks?

thanks for any advice you can give me!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

great card got my gigabyte gtx 460 1 gig off of pixmania for 200 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭weisses

I got a 8800gtx as well and upgraded to this one (ordered yesterday)

http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_01COM/10_GRPCARD/04_PCI-E/productdetails/20056781/eVGA_GeForce_GTX_460_SuperClocked_Graphics/768_P3_1362_ER/default.aspx

this card gets good reviews .... the 1 gig version is slighly faster

but hey for 175 euros you can buy two and put them in sli if you want :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Get an Nvidia 460( make sure your psu can handle it ), also get the 1Gig version, is wayyyyyyy better than the gimped 768Mb version

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Also wayyyyyyy hungrier and wayyyyyyy more expensive... :p Still worth the extra if you can't afford the HD5850 though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Solitaire wrote: »
    Also wayyyyyyy hungrier and wayyyyyyy more expensive... :p Still worth the extra if you can't afford the HD5850 though :)
    lmao, true, but its worth the 40euro extra for the huge difference in performance

The 5850 and 5830 might drop in price in the next few weeks with the 6 series cards coming out

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Its not that much better at 1080p unless you're talking raw speed rather than clock-for-clock (almost every 1GB model on the shelves come pre-OCd :P), its only when you go past DXGA (2048*1152) or run all your games multi-monitor that you see a big difference (768MB cards run into a brick wall above 2 megapixels regardless of shader power :o)

Advertisement