Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTÉ and TG4 aroad

• 09-10-2010 7:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭

How can I plug my Spanish telly into RTÉ and TG4?

I can watch them on my laptop, but I want to watch them on my telly.

It is possible? What do I need?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

plug the laptop into the tv, simples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

How are you getting these on the laptop abroad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

A hdmi cable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

the only way it will work for you(and against the rules)is to get a sky dish set up here in ireland and then bring the whole lot over to spain with you.

However if Sky found out they would cut you off even if your paying your subscription. Also because your would not have a phone line connected you might be automatically disconnected and would miss on updates etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Pookah

I've a friend over there pays a subscription and he gets RTE, TG4, BBC etc.

You could try that. Other than that, connect your computer to the telly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Moved from AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

the only way it will work for you(and against the rules)is to get a sky dish set up here in ireland and then bring the whole lot over to spain with you.

However if Sky found out they would cut you off even if your paying your subscription. Also because your would not have a phone line connected you might be automatically disconnected and would miss on updates etc.

Sky wont cut anyone off unless the viewer tells them that they have taken the card abroad. A phoneline is not needed for Sky. All updates are downloaded via satellite.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

As above, thousands of British are doing this both for Freesat and Sky, RTE can actually be received as far away as Cyprus and the Canary Islands using a big dish (4metres in Cyprus) to pickup Astra 28 and a normal Sky box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭easkey

You can also wathch them over the Net ;)
    Using a VPN or Proxy with a good B-Band:D:cool:

easkey wrote: »
    You can also wathch them over the Net ;)
    Using a VPN or Proxy with a good B-Band:D:cool:

Or a slingbox for us mere earthlings ;) Good broadband at the upload is essential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭Frisian

Or a slingbox for us mere earthlings Good broadband at the upload is essential.
    Yepp, I was in Northamerica lately, and my Maximum Homestream (99.-€) was working perfect. Channel changing was a bit slow, but I was happy enough.
    All on 6Mbit down- and 384kbit upload here in Ireland.
    You could even hook up a camera to the homestream and watch the fishtank.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

You just need a few cables. What video outputs does your computer have ?

Svideo ? check. Should look like this images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRmLV3CosArXLRc9xWMlZQlCkJbDy8xCllCBwlFCpZH5OaldxM&t=1&usg=__DTw__nm8IDY1JUO144xawiggHUM=

If it does you can buy an svideo to svideo cable. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ-w1rZ62zr52aHra_-ilkBKlDnvyH00jw01LDsu7NA5zAbe7s&t=1&usg=__C8F7QVw1SOlmlGQp4Xj0Dwo6LAA=

Next check that you Tv has Svideo input too (same pic above on laptop). Otherwise you will need a scart block connector. Looks like this. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtz7jtgybyXTGnRrB5YNimZzlqfJ2UQLa4KSviTxE2KShyeo8&t=1&usg=__n7I8RgQIbNbksqpG0UXWDra0wzk=

Finally you need a cable for the audio (this goes from your headphone socket on laptop to the left and right audio in on your TV/scart block - its called a mini jack to rca) and looks like this. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQD9NrDRldKrSCGFPIR0KY6zGpPPjQa9jtoHnVLxAZMVQplL-k&t=1&usg=__TElNo7Zsmb_RP2A9WIWPcs1uacE=

Thats 2 cables and a block connector.

You will only need the block connector if you dont have the connections on your tv and can therefore instead use the the block connector in the TVs scart input.

A few quid... check your inputs on the tv and the outputs on the laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

Stinicker wrote: »
    Or a slingbox for us mere earthlings ;) Good broadband at the upload is essential.

Out of interest whats the minimum upload speed for good streaming via the Sling m8?

Manc-Red wrote: »
    Out of interest whats the minimum upload speed for good streaming via the Sling m8?

I don't have one myself, but you need 600kilobits/second for the upload for standard defintion which is 75Kilobytes or 0.07Megabytes or 0.7Megabits. These are the same speed just different terms used by Eircom, Three, Slingbox etc.

For High Def on the Slingbox Pro HD you need an upload of 3Megabits per second, which is more than most DSL providers give out.

Slingbox Solo Standard Definition tech sheet

Slingbox Pro High Defintion tech sheet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I've the slingbox pro (normal)
    The upload speed at home is 300kpbs but you'd only get a max of 220 in reality.

At that upload speed, the picture for sports events isn't great. Too much movement for it to keep up.
    But for other shows like drama (or x-factor!) its ok enough, but it would still be great to have a better upload speed if it were possible.

Sound quality and reliability is 100% though which does actually negate some of the sh1teness of the fuzzyish picture quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 CircusIntro

Slingbox all the way , At the moment I have UPC Analogue + SKY FTV Card connected to Slingbox with UPC 3mb upload , My nephew on the west coast of Canada gets around 2200kbps to 2400kpbs , He outputs laptop to 42" TV via HDMI and all works ,

They all work shift so the 7 hour time difference sometimes allows them watch Irish/UK during their Canadian Down Time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

I have a 1.45m high gain dish and a Sky dish in the Costa Blanca, Spain and i have an Irish Sky sub here in Ireland.

Going over for a weeks holiday next week does anyone know will i pick up Irish tv channels with my Irish card or will my dish be too small?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

http://www.eirevpn.com/

I use it Germany, it's grand. There's also a deal with UKiVPN which gives you UK, Irish and US proxies/vpns so you can watch BBC, ITV, C4, Sky Player, RTE, TG4, Hulu etc. Comes to about 80e a year, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 colm ross

IrishHomer wrote: »
    I have a 1.45m high gain dish and a Sky dish in the Costa Blanca, Spain and i have an Irish Sky sub here in Ireland.

hi. in parts of the costa blanca you need a 2.3 dish to get a good reception of rte. some parts a 1.9 will pull it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 chatterboxes

If you have a TV that has a USB port, you record RTE1 then play it back on the USB to your TV! *sarcastic* Sorry, no, I have no solution.

• Advertisement
Advertisement