Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Clearwater

Options
  • 09-10-2010 8:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭

I can't believe what happened yesterday. Half price toys - one being a Disney Colour Wheel - original price €30.00 - half price to 15. Not good value at 15.00 tbh but I picked one up to see what the contents were. My eyes were drawn to the sticker on the actual packaging - Was £15.00 now £7.50.

I asked (not sure if he was a manager) - why we were being asked to pay 15.00 and we could go up north and get it an awful lot cheaper. The lady beside me had one in her hand also - he said "I'll do you a favour and you can have them at 7.50 - but remember I'm doing you the favour" - and he duly took the rest from the shelves. The woman said to me it's a pity the prices arent correct and he turned around to her and said "I've just told you I'm doing you a big huge favour so don't get smart with me ok".

Lovely....Well done Tesco on gaining more dissatisfied customers....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Rip Off Ireland

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

deelite wrote: »
    "I've just told you I'm doing you a big huge favour so don't get smart with me ok".

Lovely....Well done Tesco on gaining more dissatisfied customers....

With customers like you, apparently, who'd want to be a manager! If I had been the manager, I'd have taken the goods off you and barred you from the store.

Like just WHAT are YOU getting at? You bring something to the manager's attention, he FIXES it for YOU and YOU still complain?

I think this is a really dumb post, unless I've read it wrong, a manager fixes something for you and you are dissatisfied?

I dunno, I read it again and I just don't get your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

I agree, I dont see what else the manager could have done. Offered you the reduced price, plus you say he took the rest of the items off the shelf? Maybe to stop similar incidents and alert someone higher to situation. Tesco are always shocking for varying prices so Im not suprised but Id say the manager done his bit here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Seriously i reckon this forum should it's very obvious whats wrong with happened op and you'd bar her! God love whatever store you manage! This forum just seems to get response's from disgruntled shop keepers obviously piss'd that people have got themselve's a back bone and will stand up for their rights!

Well Im not a store manager or a shopkeeper but what more would you want if you raised this concern with a manager in tesco? He offered the product cheaper and removed the rest from the shelves.

• Advertisement

I would think it's more the attitude the op was being met with? "I'm doing you a favour so dont get smart!" how dare he talk to somebody like that and he's not doing a favour they flucked up by leaving the other prices on in the first place. She had every right to ask why she was being over charged and in fact was doing him a favour by spending her money there! What ground's would you bar her on?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭anndub

gbee wrote: »
    With customers like you, apparently, who'd want to be a manager! If I had been the manager, I'd have taken the goods off you and barred you from the store.

Like just WHAT are YOU getting at? You bring something to the manager's attention, he FIXES it for YOU and YOU still complain?

I think this is a really dumb post, unless I've read it wrong, a manager fixes something for you and you are dissatisfied?

Bit of an extreme reaction to the OP. The manager clearly had a bad attitude. If you read the post you'll see that the second women spoke to the OP at which point the manager interrupted quite rudely with the "im doing you a favour" comment. Completely unprofessional. The customer is always right. Without custom he would have no job

Maybe he is just sick of customers who are never satisfied. Not sayin the op was being unreasonable in this case but some people just go on and on.

And as For the price. They can adjust tthe price anytime they like. Its your decision if you want to buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

racso1975 wrote: »
    Seriously i reckon this forum should it's very obvious whats wrong with happened op and you'd bar her! God love whatever store you manage! This forum just seems to get response's from disgruntled shop keepers obviously piss'd that people have got themselve's a back bone and will stand up for their rights!

But no "rights" have been infringed! People bang on about their consumer "rights" and what they're "entitled" to, but really haven't got a clue!

Manager giving customer the further reduced price (which neither customer had a right or entitlement to!) yet customer no 2 still had to go on about it.
    If it was me and the manager said I could have it at the reduced price I would have said "thanks a lot" but hey - that's just me - I'm reasonable and not too worried about what I "think" are my consumer rights.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

I would think it's more the attitude the op was being met with? "I'm doing you a favour so dont get smart!" how dare he talk to somebody like that and he's not doing a favour they flucked up by leaving the other prices on in the first place. She had every right to ask why she was being over charged and in fact was doing him a favour by spending her money there! What ground's would you bar her on?

err...............its tesco clearwater - well renowed for the lousy customer service and bad attitude.

no one i knows shops there anymore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭Archeron

And its the customers decision whether or not they have a job in 6 months. I work in sales, (distribution, not retail, so not the same I know) and my customers constantly comment on my pricing. It is a vital way for me know how my pricing stands against competitors and its hugely appreciated by me because I do sometimes try to make that extra bit of margin on what I sell, but I am still open to bargaining.
    My response to that is not to develop an attitude problem but to try and broker a sale, and continue to keep this customer happy.

Without customers shopping around and occasionally voicing their opinion, we would have no concept of why people shop around in the first place. this scenario could very easily have resulted in the OP being delighted with their purchase and relatively fair price, but its the attitude problem thats at question here, not the fact that the lady commented on the price.

Yes, its an invitation to purchase and all that and prices can be changed at a whim, but without people actually talking about these things and voicing opinion to others like that OP post, then we will continue to be a rip off Ireland where we feel like we should meekly leave the room when voicing an opinion and getting a relatively fair price. My take from this post is the attitude problem which is completely unacceptable in a retail environment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Correct me if I am wrong but haven't Tesco informed even Retail Ireland they will be honouring the UK price as Euros when the product has a flashed price and they have a no quibble policy. So the store was in the wrong but easier for them to shift stock and say nothing than notify there head office.

This is another case of getting away with it until a customer complains, while the non complaining cuctomer gets no reward at all. So I think the post is relevant. Do you might work for them :)

But no "rights" have been infringed! People bang on about their consumer "rights" and what they're "entitled" to, but really haven't got a clue!

Manager giving customer the further reduced price (which neither customer had a right or entitlement to!) yet customer no 2 still had to go on about it.
    If it was me and the manager said I could have it at the reduced price I would have said "thanks a lot" but hey - that's just me - I'm reasonable and not too worried about what I "think" are my consumer rights.

i'm pretty sure that tesco will claim you have the right to be treated with respect and dignity. The op also has the RIGHT to question the prices when the english prices show she is being ripped off!

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

On down the road in Finglas village Iceland are charging E7 for stuff marked £5 - thats a nice little ripoff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Why would you have taken the goods off me and barred me from the store - I don't understand on what grounds you'd justify those actions. If you read the post correctly you would see that I did complain once about the price but it was recitified immediately although under duress. The lady with me was astounded that any worker would address her in such a rude way, but judging by the tone in your reply I guess that it's par for the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

Manager was obviously annoyed/having a bad day. But he really should have addressed the customer in a more professional manner.

I rarely shop in Tesco, my reasons are varied.

Main reason would be the totally unprofessional attitude of the staff, some of them even chew gum on the tills - dreadful. Also the restaurant staff having a fag break in their whites outside the public entrance would put me off eating there.

Thats my local tesco, maybe the others are better!

Why would someone having a smoke put you off eating in the cafe? Some people baffle me.

If you want excellent customer service go to marks and Spencer and say premium prices For your goods. I'm quite happy going to tesco and not expecting five star treatment. Some people really bug me expecting the world and then complain about the price of things. You get what you pay For.

no - I smoke myself actually.

But they hang around outside the public entrance, in groups.

Surely Tesco could provide them with a dedicated smoking area. They shouldnt be outside in their white clothes anyway sitting on the ledge at the trolleys - its a bad image thats all. People actually have to manovure their trolleys around them.

Would it bother you if you seen two barmen outside smoking or two office workers?

Slunk wrote: »
    Would it bother you if you seen two barmen outside smoking or two office workers?

No. And I like I said, I am a smoker myself. Its just a bad image when they are there blocking the entrance for everyone. They need a decent smoking area - away from the entrance. Its not the staffs fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

I seriously cannot believe that response. I'm hoping your not a retail manager or work in the hospitality industry elsewhere gbee but I doubt thats the case anyway. Apart from the fact that it was not the OP who complained but the customer next to her, even if it was though the manager was rude, unprofessional and way out of line in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

i'm pretty sure that tesco will claim you have the right to be treated with respect and dignity. The op also has the RIGHT to question the prices when the english prices show she is being ripped off!

The customer did question the price, as did the second customer and they the decision by the manager went in their favour.

The manager appeared to go so far as to ensure the stock was removed from the shelf but the second customer continued to complain.

Yes the manager was rude but he had given the customers what they wanted yet they continued to complain and moan and he just snapped.

No it's not professional and he most likely could have handled it better but put yourself in his position - customers continuing to give out after he had given them exactly what they wanted!

When customers "gang up" together like this for whatever reason they get brave and rude and stroppy - I would imagine that the customer gave as good as she got in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

The customer did question the price, as did the second customer and they the decision by the manager went in their favour.

The manager appeared to go so far as to ensure the stock was removed from the shelf but the second customer continued to complain.

Yes the manager was rude but he had given the customers what they wanted yet they continued to complain and moan and he just snapped.

No it's not professional and he most likely could have handled it better but put yourself in his position - customers continuing to give out after he had given them exactly what they wanted!

When customers "gang up" together like this for whatever reason they get brave and rude and stroppy - I would imagine that the customer gave as good as she got in this case.

Nobody "ganged up" on him - he was asked a question about the price - which he sorted out under duress.

Nobody continued to complain the lady made an off the cuff remark to me about "the pricing system" - probably similar to the ones which are made every day in any shop "nice weather, queue is very long, did you see that bargain".

And in the whole episode I can assure you nobody "moaned" - I wasn't being "brave" I asked a question - I'm not a rude and stroppy person, and neither was the lady. Nobody gave as good as they got it wasn't a handbags at dawn situation.

Advertisement