Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance for child's glasses

Options
  • 09-10-2010 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

Hi Folks.
    Our 2 year old wears glasses, she is very good of wearing them and keeps them on most of the time, no issue there. What is a problem is the odd time she does take them off and play with them. Its only a matter of time before she breaks them. We were wondering does anybody know of a insurer that will cover kids glasses.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭astra2000

Hi op not sure of insurance but if you have gone through the hse to get your childs glasses, in the case of lost or broken glasses they will give you a form to bring to your optician and they will replace them, there probably will be a bit extra for you to contribute though. I have found it is better to go to spec savers and get the second pair for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭newmammy2011

My sister bought my nephews glasses in Vision Express and was offered insurance through there.
    She has had his glasses fixed/replaced a couple of times over the last few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

If you have home insurance see if you can specify them as a listed item on the insurance they should be covered, but there will be an excess, still my little ones glasses cost 200 euro last year and she's only just broken them this year, store said they'd fix them free of charge if she did break them though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

200 euro for kids glasses:(
    My lenses cost a fortune so I have my glasses named on the house insurance.
    In the uk kids can get 2 pairs of glasses a year free,I take it we don't have similar here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

We get a voucher for 50 euro off the lenses... Addison already has a +4.00 prescription in both eyes, plus a turn. I had to get her high index lenses as they'd have been too heavy for the frames if I didn't... frames were €130, lenses were €120... :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

That sucks:(

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Ladybird99

Please post back if you find an insurance policy. I have to buy glasses for my daughter this week and they are going to cost around €400. This is her second pair. The first pair disappeared(I reckon she threw them away) and I cannot afford to replace them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭gabsdot40

Got glasses for my 3 year old daughter in vision express and they offered insurance, it's cost about E15 and covers breakages. I've actually been in there several times already to get small repairs done.
    They have a big selection of 'welfare' glasses which are covered by the HSE voucher. They're lovely too. Nothing like the pink ones I used to wear as a child. My son was actually really upset that he couldn't get a pair too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

gabsdot40 wrote: »
    Got glasses for my 3 year old daughter in vision express and they offered insurance, it's cost about E15 and covers breakages. I've actually been in there several times already to get small repairs done.
    They have a big selection of 'welfare' glasses which are covered by the HSE voucher. They're lovely too. Nothing like the pink ones I used to wear as a child. My son was actually really upset that he couldn't get a pair too.

You are right that the frames that are within the price range of the voucher from the HSE are lovely, they are not as robust as some other brands. My daughter broke hers in a matter of weeks, so I forked out for the adidas brand. Big money but a lifetime guarantee.

I am also going to get them insured if possible.

I know I can add them to the household insurance, the problem is the excess is quite high.

Advertisement