Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

crate training: best option??

Options
  • 09-10-2010 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

Hi everyone.

I got a puppy yesterday, he's four months old (westie x) and he came from the local animal rescue. I'm not sure about the best way to house train him (I haven't got much experience) and read a little about crate training. Is this the best option?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

anamaria wrote: »
    Hi everyone.

I got a puppy yesterday, he's four months old (westie x) and he came from the local animal rescue. I'm not sure about the best way to house train him (I haven't got much experience) and read a little about crate training. Is this the best option?

Im my experience, yes it is. It is great for toilet training and also stops puppies chewing things at night or when you have to go out and leave them on their own for a while.

Ive a 17 week old pup at the mo and shes sleeping the whole night now in her crate and is nearly toilet trained.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Yep, crate training is the way to go.
    If you do a search there's loads of threads on how to.
    I used crates for both my dogs and rarely had to clean up any accidents. The 2 yr old boy loves his crate and asks to go to bed at night, even though I leave the door open he never gets out. (the cats have a time share going with the dogs and use them during the day:D)
    I leave the crate in a quiet place and would highly recommend them. The crate is great as its mobile so if you go away to see family etc and bring the dog, it has a familiar place to sleep and settles no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭anamaria

Thanks everyone.
    I got a crate today so will start him in it. I've put his teddy and blanket in there so he'll be more comfortable.

Is there any major 'don'ts' for crate training. Apart from leaving him in for long periods. I don't think I could do that anyway.I'd feel too awful

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Just make sure you never use the crate as punishment. It should always be their little safe den where they can go and rela and chill by themselves if they want and to sleep at night.

Just start off slowly with the crate, dont lock them in straight away, leave the door open and let the pup wander in themselves initially.

Put nice toys, some treats in there and if necessary feed them in it too so they associate it with good things. Build up the time gradually so they dont feel like they are locked in from the word go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

One BIG tip for you, when you open the crate to let him out, pick him up and carry to outside, 'cos he'll pee the minute he hits the ground:D. It really helps with the training, praise him and try adding a phrase or word for it("do your business" is what we use), it comes in very handy to have them go on command when they're older.
    Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭anamaria

Thanks for the help. He's a lovely little guy and I've only had him a day and we had a few accidents on the kitchen floor. I'm hoping that starting with the crate will help

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

anamaria wrote: »
    Thanks for the help. He's a lovely little guy and I've only had him a day and we had a few accidents on the kitchen floor. I'm hoping that starting with the crate will help

i have just finished crating mine in this past week they are ten months old now, you will have accidents, but keep it up, i found the crate a great help, and they knew it was their bed, but in the past month they did not want to be put in it, and now they just sleep nights on a couch in the kitchen, and are so happy to be there, i would have found it much harder if i did not have the crate in the first 6 months.when washing the floor, do not use bleach or parazone, i found they loved peeing on the floor when i used these, they must like the smells, but when i switched to flash spray lavender with fabreze it did the trick, let the kitchen smelling nice and fresh, and got rid of dog pee

Advertisement