Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The future of Travel

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

dory wrote: »
    Well who are these power people and how do we poke them?

I think you are one of them! [Conscripted, if memory serves me well, since some of us asked for a re-think of the structure of the travel forums.]

One level up are the C-mods, and I think the final decisions are made by the Admins. I imagine the admins are most likely to do something if a case is brought forward by mods and C-mods.

You have access to the mod forum, and I don't, so you are in a better position to poke the relevant people. You could point out, among other things, that Travel Reports & Reviews has very little traffic, and most of it seems to be off-topic for that sub-forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

It seems that the place isn't really being modded at the moment. I'm open to correction but it seems that there are threads that need to be moved, posts within threads that are nothing more than flamebait (an Israel travel thread descended into a racist and policitical slagging match, reported posts not dealt with). There are threads too that should really be in the stickies. London seems to have a load of new threads.

Looking at it objectively, I would say that the Passport thread and London Megathread should probably go, or at least be pruned.

The reason the passport thread was stickied in the first place was for the dispute at the passport office so that people had an easy point of reference for updates on what was going on there.

The London Megathread (my idea, btw) doesn't do what I had hoped it might and it's now very much the case that it's TL:DR if you're looking for info or advice. Hence all the loose London threads on the forum.

The Useful sites sticky needs to be cleaned up and consolidated into the OP.

Nobody has responded to the FAQ section to add more FAQs.

P. Breathnach's suggestion of having regional sub-fora is a good one. One each for Europe, USA, Canada, Central/South America, Middle East/Africa, S.E Asia. Possibly even one for package holidays, but that could be reviewed depending on what's happening in the Europe Sub Forum. Maybe even one for Ireland/UK?

It's important, to keep the IY&S forum and I'm inclined to agree that if the Mod of USA and N. America is happy to take the J1 queries, then let them go there and rename the IY&S forum to Independent and Youth travel. Of course the subhead would need to be changed to reflect this.

Reports and Reviews is worthwhile but needs to be tidied up to get the queries into the proper forums.

I stepped down as Mod in the Travel Forums last year due to work pressures and also because Boards was blocked in my workplace for a while. Both of these issues have been resolved and I would like to get involved again (if users and Admins want me to).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Well if there's an issue with people being too busy to mod the travel fora I am more than willing and have lots of free time. I agree, there needs to be a lot of re-arranging done to make those fora useful again.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Whitehawk

Is this where we are putting for name change to "Independant Travel & Backpacking" !

Advertisement