Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5th year-Biology and Chemistry!!!!

• 09-10-2010 10:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭

Im in 5th year at the moment and want to do well in biology and chemistry.
    Any tips please!!:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Les_Rebels123

speaking as a LOST 6th year... stay on TOP of ALL Chemistry notes. Make sure you understand it! thoroughly! if you miss a class. GET THE NOTES, and learn it. and that way, it's simple..Chemistry.. you cant really learn the notes to do well.. You Have To understand it to make sense :)
    As for biology, you can learn off notes....

*I unavoidably missed 3 months of 5th year... and Chemistry is the subject that's my downfall. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Tara_Rxxx

I'm in 6th year atm and doing bio and chem too,
    all i can tell you is study and dont let it build up, there is a lot to cover in both subjects.:)

Also with chemistry, really to understand it because everything is linked in some form or another so you need to know the basics!
    Are you in a 5th yr only class?
    Last year my 5thyr class and the 6th yr class were together, so
    us unlucky 5th years had to start at the end of the book on organic chemistry, it was hard and we were quite lost at times, :confused: so count yourself lucky if not!

With biology, you just have to know it inside, anyway biology is grand just learning, and its understandable.

Also practise exam papers even now in 5th yr! They really help!!

Thats all i can think of, hope it helps!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Les_Rebels123

yep...
    I think that that's a resounding summary of chemistry.. you've got to understand it. to apply it !

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Tara_Rxxx

Ugh i know, chemistry is one of my hardest subjects, i really hate it but then sometimes its grand!

My teacher did say tho, that they have asked nearly everything that has to be asked so more than likely our 2011 paper is in the exam papers!
    And also to keep your eye out at the minute for anything chemistry related because its this time of year the exam papers are made!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Tara_Rxxx wrote: »
    I'm in 6th year atm and doing bio and chem too,
    all i can tell you is study and dont let it build up, there is a lot to cover in both subjects.:)

Also with chemistry, really to understand it because everything is linked in some form or another so you need to know the basics!
    Are you in a 5th yr only class?
    Last year my 5thyr class and the 6th yr class were together, so
    us unlucky 5th years had to start at the end of the book on organic chemistry, it was hard and we were quite lost at times, :confused: so count yourself lucky if not!

With biology, you just have to know it inside, anyway biology is grand just learning, and its understandable.

Also practise exam papers even now in 5th yr! They really help!!

Thats all i can think of, hope it helps!:pac:

Im in a 5th year only class.thanks for the advice:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

Get on top of the most difficult topics now. For Biology for most people that's stuff like Photosynthesis, Respiration. If you're using Biology by Michael Callaghan (a green textbook) they HAVE to ask a certain amount of questions from Sections 1 and 2, so don't let forget about the good aul' cell!

Keep on top of your experiments now. They're a guaranteed question, there is no escaping them. They're essential to a high grade and can pull you up if you're not so great at Biology. Check out the 2010 exam - knowing 3 experiments wasn't enough as in one question (the second I think..) they asked for the reagents (chemicals) used in loads of experiments. If you hadn't a broad knowledge you were stung for that question.

This is a great help.
    http://www.rte.ie/exams/biology.html

Chemistry's the same. Really focus on Organic, it's a massive part of the paper. Your experiments are (again) your BFFs. I disagree with Tara about the Organic - yeah it's hard and sometimes boring. I'm repeating now and we started with Organics this year, whereas in 5th Year in my last run we did Atomic Theory. Keep up with the class, but don't underestimate the importance of Organic Chemisry. Seriously.

Making up my own notes on both subjects worked out really well for me and keeping up on top of it. You just can't cram a subject like Chemistry, it's way too cruel with the marking scheme. Use them and past papers and get to grips with your definitions (I think I heard before they're around, what, 10% of a grade on a paper..?)

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Dave1711

Pretty much what can be said has been said.
    I'm studying both in college atm so fell free to pm if your stuck on anything or just have a question.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

How far have you lot gotten in the 2 courses so far? We've just started ch 5 in chemistry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

How far have you lot gotten in the 2 courses so far? We've just started ch 5 in chemistry.

About the same in chemistry.

In biology, we did cells first, then cell division, now we've gone back to do enzymes, started that last week . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 46 yamadeejit

About the same in chemistry.

In bilogy, we did ceels first, then cell division, anow we've gone back to do enzymes, started that last week . . .

Are you dyslexic?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

yamadeejit wrote: »
    Are you dyslexic?

No, i just never bother reading over my posts . . .although they're not usually that bad . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 46 yamadeejit

No, i just never bother reading over my posts . . .although they're not usually that bad . . .

Ah right. I'm the same myself sometimes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

I started chemistry last year (4th year) because we don't do TY. Best tip: Make the best effort you can to try and understand it

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭PsychoSue

Botulism wrote: »
    I started chemistry last year (4th year) because we don't do TY. Best tip: Make the best effort you can to try and understand it

If ya dont do TY are you not meant to go directly into 5th year?? Do you finish school this summer or do you have another year?

All the advice that you need has been said all I can do is reiterate it!!! Start revision and practising ASAP. Its best to get on the right side of studying in 5th year. It doesnt have to be hours of endless reading and note taking per night. You'd be VERY surprised how much it actually helps to just read over the class notes in the evening. (This ALONE won't be sufficient though) As for exam papers they should now be your best friends. Do the answers out on sheets of paper instead of filling in the spaces for short questions this way you can do it again a few months later without having to PRETEND to not look at the answer you previously wrote in.....

The last bit of advice I have is ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS speak up when you don't understand something. If the teacher is explaining something and you JUST cant get it ask them to explain again and if your still unsure ask the teacher can someone else in the class help you. Some students are excellent at interpreting definitions, understanding them and rewording them. A good teacher will welcome this as it can potentially increase understanding within the class.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭sparagon

I'm in sixth yr studying both
    For chemistry these things are key:
    • know your definitions
    • know you experiments
    • don't leave out topics
    • know organic chemistry
    • be aware of their marking scheme - they're picky :p
    For biology know the whole book inside out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

sparagon wrote: »
    I'm in sixth yr studying both
    For chemistry these things are key:
    • know your definitions
    • know you experiments
    • don't leave out topics
    • know organic chemistry
    • be aware of their marking scheme - they're picky :p
    For biology know the whole book inside out

That's quite a definative list of things to know. But true.

Advertisement